loladelorean's Trip Report Sept 21-25. DAY 3.

Started by loladelorean, October 08, 2009, 04:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loladelorean

Day 3 – Wednesday, September 23

We met Goofy again going down to breakfast on the third day. It is fantastic that there are always characters around at mealtimes in the Hotel New York, makes a great start to your day. He was wearing a less glitzy outfit this time!

We were hoping to have breakfast in the Manhattan Restaurant again since we had enjoyed it so much on the Tuesday, but this time it was the Parkside Diner. We were pleasantly surprised by this restaurant, similar theme to Annettes with the seats etc. and it was all extremely fresh and clean. I understand that it was closed shortly before our visit for a refurb – you can tell because it was immaculate.
Breakfast selection was just the same as the day before and we really enjoyed it again. I was also impressed with the CMs at breakfast each day – it's not easy to be cheerful when you're working an early shift but they all had a smile for everyone.

We had decided to spend the whole day in Disneyland Parc and try to take in all the different lands. When we entered the park just after 8am there was a police van waiting on Main St so we hopped aboard. These old style vehicles are a nice touch, and always quiet so early in the morning. Here I am in the van sporting a wealth of Disney merchandise!

Discoveryland first, where we tried Buzz Lightyear for the first time. And second time, since it was so much fun! It's a bit scary how much effort you put in to shooting these aliens lol. I was getting pretty good by the second time, but my sister is rubbish at it. Haha. Then Space Mountain again, we were sitting at the back of the ride and thought this gave a much better experience, especially at the lift off part. You really feel the "oomf" at the back!
We had a shot on orbitron too, just for the sake of it...again, much more fun than it should be for people of our age. We couldn't really fit our long legs into one spaceship though so had to take one each.

In Fantasyland, we skipped along to Peter Pan first. This ride is so magical, I could actually remember being on it aged 6 on my first trip to Disneyland. Parents who might be reading this, you should know that the experiences your young children have now at Disneyland will still be with them as adults. My memories of that trip in 1994 are some of my clearest and happiest childhood memories, and it is amazing what comes back to you when you revisit the park as an adult.

Sorry, I digress totally, but Peter Pan more than any other ride really made me feel like a child again, in the best possible way.
We whizzed round Dumbo, the Tea Cups and the Carousel, again walking straight on to each ride. At 9.30 we started waiting outside It's a Small World and got onto one of the first boats at 9.45. This ride is nice, but is one which doesn't quite have the same magic it used to. I probably shouldn't analyse it too much, but I feel like the dolls should be more distinct. Considering they represent all the countries of the world, most of them being identical isn't a great message.
We went back to Discoveryland next to try Star Tours. Now that the park was open, we expected a queue but there were only six people in our "spaceship". The feeling of this ride is just as effective as ever, but the French was a bit too fast for me to follow and I wished I could have understood a little better. I feel ignorant saying that, but even English subtitles somewhere would help, or a headset maybe.

On the way out of Discoveryland, the characters were all making their way off Minnie's Party Train. I was really excited to spot Robin Hood, one of my favourite old school Disney characters, so we chased him but by the time we reached his place at the gates of Frontierland he was getting mobbed. We tried to get near him for five minutes, but just gave up. We popped into Frontierland and picked up some Fastpasses for Big Thunder.
My sister's favourite character is Winnie the Pooh, so I knew we would have to queue to see him at Casey's Corner that morning. Little did I know we would be queuing for over an hour – I don't think even my sister would have wanted this. Once you've waited a while though you don't want to just leave. We got our photos with Pooh bear but it really wasn't worth it. Grr, we wouldn't be doing that again!

We then used our fastpasses for another ride on Big Thunder, picking up a couple more afterwards. I could seriously ride this coaster 20 times a day and never get bored of it. I don't understand though why people wait in 60 minute queues when they could get fastpasses and make better use of their time?? We more or less walked straight on with fastpasses every time.

Alice's Curious Labyrinth was only open from 12pm during our stay, so this is where we headed next. Another trip down memory lane for me, this was my favourite attraction as a six year old with a big imagination! According to my mum, I used to spend whole afternoons in there and claimed the castle as my own. Mind you, we were there for ten whole days and the park didn't have the attractions it does now so I guess we did have time to spend all afternoon in one place! Am I right in thinking there is no labyrinth in any other Disney parks? Certainly we didn't see one in Florida. My sister liked this, but not as much as I do because I still kind of see it through 6 year old eyes. She was only one on that trip so doesn't remember anything.

We had made a reservation at the Lucky Nugget so started to head back that way. On the way past the castle, we caught some of this lovely show. Unfortunately we had to leave before the end so as not to be late for lunch.

Hands down, Lucky Nugget was the best meal of our trip!! If you are doing to DLP with half board plus vouchers, you MUST use one of them for the Lucky Nugget. The characters are fantastic, the atmosphere is authentic and fun, and the food is surprisingly good for a buffet (especially the fajitas yum yum)
After a morning getting mainly annoyed by trying to meet characters, it was a lovely change to have them come to us. We were really lucky to get Tigger, Eeyore, Pluto and Mickey himself during our meal. Pluto in particular spent loads of time with us, sniffing around our plates and stealing our pens and headbands! Mickey loved my "I heart MK" t shirt hehe. Here are my photos with them all.

We also enjoyed the band who were playing onstage throughout our meal. It's nice as well, to watch the characters interacting with children at other tables. The restaurant really wasn't that busy so each table got loads of time with each character and hardly had to wait at all for the next one to come along. The place was buzzing with happiness and laughter, even more so than the park as a whole, and we stayed as long as we possibly could!
Full after this, we couldn't quite face Big Thunder again so took a gentle ride on the big riverboat. It had been a bit foggy all morning, but when we emerged from the restaurant the sun was shining and the sky was clearing right up, as you can see from these photos from the boat.

The boat ride is really pleasant in the nice weather, you see bits of the park you can't see otherwise and get to wave at the jolly Big Thunder riders. This put us in the mood for another go on our favourite ride, so we used our fastpasses again!
We headed to Adventureland next to try to find Aladdin and Jasmine. We weren't sure where they would be and were about to ask a cast member when we spotted them walking towards a corner near the Aladdin experience. Not many people around, we got a photo quickly. Aladdin and Jasmine were interacting well with each other and with guests, chatting about magic carpets and Abu in American accents, sounding very like the characters in the film. This was a really nice touch as obviously you don't usually hear the characters talk. Thanks to a nice Spanish family for taking a photo of both of us with them, we returned the favour ? I knew my higher Spanish would come in useful! Lol.

We spent time wandering around Adventureland again, which is my favourite land to just absorb as it encompasses so many genres. We made our way back to Pirates, although we expected a queue. Nope, again we managed to walk straight on! I don't know if this is always the case off season on the Wednesday, or if we were just insanely lucky but we only had to wait for rides about 5% of the time. Indiana Jones was deserted, so we had another go on this too.
Having experienced a bit of all the lands, we weren't quite sure where to go next. So we headed to the castle, and explored inside it; oohing and aahing at the stained glass windows, the fountains and the carvings. All Disney critics should just spend some time inside the castle to see that Imagineering produces attractions that are truly tasteful and beautiful.

The sound of loud music drew us outside to watch MMP again. This time we sat on a bench at the side, as we felt it would be silly to join in since nobody else seems to bother (boo). Second time around I was able to look at MMP more objectively. The overall feel of this show is good, but the story gets a bit lost. I know it is difficult to incorporate the different languages, but the way they do it I don't think you can make out any of them! Nobody knows they are supposed to be doing a Mexican wave until it happens, and the dancing goes too fast and it too complex to keep up, especially for kids I imagine. Still good fun though, glad we saw it a second time.

Next I wanted to try the Disneyland Railroad, which I have never been on before. We got on at Discoveryland, but then everyone had to get off at Main St so it wasn't a very long ride! Unfortunately didn't get to see the diorama. It was 4.30pm. so we found a nice bit of kerb for watching the parade. After the parade, we were going to maybe try another ride but we couldn't face it! Our feet were really really sore by this point, so it was back to the hotel.

After a couple of hours in the room watching TV we went for a swim in the lovely big HNY pool. It wasn't that busy, and we were pleased to get towels offered to us. I am quite a keen swimmer at home, but only managed a few lengths with my tired legs! We then spent about 40 minutes soaking in the deliciously warm Jacuzzi, before heading into the changing rooms where a sauna and steam room provided even more opportunity to relax. This was the perfect way to unwind after such a busy day. We were getting hungry again after this, but didn't want to spend too much as we like spending our money on Disney stuff! So we had a nice simple McDonalds – the food is the same as anywhere, but the interior of the restaurant is a nice surprise. We enjoyed sitting there for a good while having a chat, nice relaxing atmosphere. It doesn't feel like a McDonalds at all!

These reports are getting longer each day and I'm afraid day 4 will be the biggest because it was a ridiculously busy day with loads of jumping around between parks. I will try to get it done tomorrow however. Hope you are all enjoying my report!
Disney Visits
Oct 94 Cheyenne - Oct 00 WDW - April 03 WDW - Sept 06 DLP Day Trip - Sept 09 HNY - Nov 10 HNY - June 11 Sequoia Lodge- June 12 Sequoia Lodge - Sept 12 Cheyenne- Nov 12 Radisson - June 13 Dream Castle - Nov 14 HNY -
Feb 15 Dream Castle - Sept 15 Tokyo Disney Resort, Sheraton - Oct 15 DLP Day trip - Feb 16 Cheyenne - March 17 Newport Bay - Jan 18 Sequoia Lodge, Aug 18 daytrip

Upcoming: DLH Nov 18 - Hong Kong Disneyland, Explorers Lodge, March 19

DLP-Photos.com

I don't mind your report being long - more, more, more! Once again some good photos and truly magical writing - I am really becoming ready for my trip thanks to this report!

Great spotting with the It's a small world dolls - I thought of this too last fall when I went, but to me the ride still has something magical (perhaps because I was insanely affraid of it when I went for the first time in '94 :P - thought it was filled with dinosaurs).

I cannot wait for day 4 (hopefully before my trip - otherwise it has to wait, but then it could be great inspiration for my own report)
/Nicolai

Please visit my DLP website: www.dlp-photos.com

[size=150]Trip report from August 2014[/size]

loladelorean

Thanks forza-united! I'm at home a bit unwell today, so lots of time but unfortunately also a lot of university work. However, I will try to type up day 4 in a few hours time.
I'm glad you're still enjoying my report  :D  
What month were you there in 1994 and what age were you? I wonder if we were there at the same time, little kids unknowingly embarking on a lifelong obsession with Disneyland haha
Disney Visits
Oct 94 Cheyenne - Oct 00 WDW - April 03 WDW - Sept 06 DLP Day Trip - Sept 09 HNY - Nov 10 HNY - June 11 Sequoia Lodge- June 12 Sequoia Lodge - Sept 12 Cheyenne- Nov 12 Radisson - June 13 Dream Castle - Nov 14 HNY -
Feb 15 Dream Castle - Sept 15 Tokyo Disney Resort, Sheraton - Oct 15 DLP Day trip - Feb 16 Cheyenne - March 17 Newport Bay - Jan 18 Sequoia Lodge, Aug 18 daytrip

The Butlin Boy

I've just finished reading through all of the first three days, and I really enjoyed them all :)

I can really relate to you when you say about some of your fondest childhood memories being at Disney; some of mine are too :P

I'm glad you both had an amazing time, and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your report :wink:

DLP-Photos.com

Quote from: "loladelorean"Thanks forza-united! I'm at home a bit unwell today, so lots of time but unfortunately also a lot of university work. However, I will try to type up day 4 in a few hours time.
I'm glad you're still enjoying my report  :D  
What month were you there in 1994 and what age were you? I wonder if we were there at the same time, little kids unknowingly embarking on a lifelong obsession with Disneyland haha
Do not hurry with the report! :)

It was probably in july and I was 4 years old... I think I only tried the caroussel haha, when you're affraid of It's a small world you must be affraid of every attraction :lol:

But yes that was without a doubt the start of a lifelong obsession :mrgreen:, but what a great obsession to have
/Nicolai

Please visit my DLP website: www.dlp-photos.com

[size=150]Trip report from August 2014[/size]

Aveen2008

Another great addition to the report! =D>  =D>

Make them as long as you want, I love reading reports hehe! :D  You got some great pictures, esp with the characters! :D/  :D/  :D/

The train around the park crosses the opening at 'It's a small world', which is wear the parade starts, so the train is stopped at this time until after the parade  :D I have never been the full way around either, I wish we had of just done it when we were there.  I have only been from frontierland to main street!

Can't wait to read and see more! =D>
Luv Aveen xoxo

loladelorean

Quote from: "Aveen2008"Another great addition to the report! =D>  =D>

Make them as long as you want, I love reading reports hehe! :D  You got some great pictures, esp with the characters! :D/  :D/  :D/

The train around the park crosses the opening at 'It's a small world', which is wear the parade starts, so the train is stopped at this time until after the parade  :D I have never been the full way around either, I wish we had of just done it when we were there.  I have only been from frontierland to main street!

Can't wait to read and see more! =D>

Thanks Aveen! The queues for the railroad are always so long, even when the park is quiet, that I was a bit put off. Next year I might just wait, I want to make sure I've done everything there is to do in the parks! Is the diorama at Frontierland, and do you think it's worth seeing?
Disney Visits

Aveen2008

Hey

no I think it is somewhere before frontierland... I didnt see anything, although i went through priates of teh caribbean but you don't see much its just extremely dark lol!

Yeah we queued for ages at frontierland to get on too, that is what kinda put me off trying it again this time too...queuing doesn't do well with aching feet lol! :P
Luv Aveen xoxo

Javey74

It was a real pleasure reading that loladelorean. I love the photo's they compliment the report so well, off to read the next instalment now..  :wink:  :D

Thanks again for sharing..  :D

Aurora

I love reading reports as well.
And I love the picture in the castle you took.
Aurora

loladelorean

Quote from: "Aurora"I love reading reports as well.
And I love the picture in the castle you took.
Aurora

Thanks Aurora! I'm no photographer, but you can't help but take good photos in DLP, everything is so beautiful.
I love reading other people's reports, and I like having mine here to re-read when I feel sad! Can't believe I've been back over a month already :(
Disney Visits