Le Pays des Contes de Fees

Started by Timbo, September 05, 2009, 06:11:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbo

Does anyone know why the Wizard of Oz is included in this attraction ? It was never a Disney film , and although very magical I cannot see the connection ; the only thing I can think is that it relates to the Great Movie Ride in WDW ,when Disney had the MGM catalogue of films available,and a scene from the film is used there. Am I missing some obvious link ? :?:

Willow

Disney have (or used to) some rights to the Wizard of Oz, mainly other books by the same author.

Walt and WDI are meant to be fans of the Wizard of Oz.

Check this link out by Jim Hill:

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/ ... /6565.aspx

Timbo

Thanks for the reply Willow , the Jim Hill article was very interesting , as they always are ! That explained it all , though I am sure most people will just assume it was a Disney film and think no more about it ! It's nice that they included something that relates to an obscure piece of Disney history !

Aveen2008

Also Disney created the 'Return to Oz' movie I love it hehe
Luv Aveen xoxo

Javey74

Quote from: "Aveen2008"Also Disney created the 'Return to Oz' movie I love it hehe
Just about to say that, they certainly did, though not a favourite of mine I must say..  :)

Aveen2008

Quote from: "Javey74"
Quote from: "Aveen2008"Also Disney created the 'Return to Oz' movie I love it hehe
Just about to say that, they certainly did, though not a favourite of mine I must say..  :)

I loved it as a kid although parts of it I thought where scary and freaky and still do as an adult..like the wheelers, the witch when she has no head..freaky stuff for a kids movie lol! :P
Luv Aveen xoxo

Anthony

The fact it wasn't a Disney film was probably a lot of the reason, makes it a land of fairy tales, not of Disney films. If this attraction were built today we wouldn't be sailing past Peter and the Wolf, Hansel and Gretel, Rapunzel, Night on Bald Mountain, Mount Olympus or Wizard of Oz, but the same films and characters you already see everywhere else.

I do love people's reaction when they come to the Chernabog bit and suddenly get incredibly confused.

luke85

Quote from: "Anthony"I do love people's reaction when they come to the Chernabog bit and suddenly get incredibly confused.

Same, always makes me chuckle! I also like it when you get to the Hansel & Gretel house, I once heard a mother say to her daughter "ooh we've not seen that one!"

DisneyAlba

Quote from: "Anthony"The fact it wasn't a Disney film was probably a lot of the reason, makes it a land of fairy tales, not of Disney films. If this attraction were built today we wouldn't be sailing past Peter and the Wolf, Hansel and Gretel, Rapunzel, Night on Bald Mountain, Mount Olympus or Wizard of Oz, but the same films and characters you already see everywhere else.

I do love people's reaction when they come to the Chernabog bit and suddenly get incredibly confused.

Err... Night on Bald Mountain, with Chernabog, was featured in Fantasia. Same goes for the Mount Olympus sequence.
Peter and the Wolf was also animated by Disney.

So, that leaves only Hansel & Gretel, Rapunzel and Wizard of Oz (unless you consider that Return to Oz) as not-as-yet Disneyfied fairytales, doesn't it? And Rapunzel can soon be taken off that list. ;)

EDIT: some Google searching revealed that Disney even animated Hansel & Gretel, as a Mickey and Minnie short. Interesting. Was Rapunzel always a part of Les Pays des Contes des Fees? Because, uinless it was added in recent years, this could be considered the only not-Disneyfied fairy tale...
You can take the girl out of Scotland, but you can't take Scotland out of the girl.

Anthony

Sorry, the first sentence wasn't really connected to the second. I just meant if it were built now, they'd never choose such "obscure" characters (well, WDI might, but someone would put them straight). We'd be seeing Lilo & Stitch, Winnie the Pooh, Tinkerbell, etc. It'd be boring.

In fact, there seems to be space at the back for at least one more fairytale, if they could build it around the winch mechanism. Maybe a spot for The Bear and the Bow, or Princess and the Frog?