Former CM threatens suicide atop Space Mountain at HKDL

Started by Kristof, October 12, 2005, 11:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristof

A former Disney worker climbed to the roof of the Hong Kong park's most popular attraction and threatened to slash his throat to protest his dismissal, a Disney spokeswoman and newspaper reports said Wednesday.
The 48-year-old man, a former security guard at the theme park, climbed to the top of the building housing the Space Mountain roller coaster on Tuesday and remained there for two hours, Hong Kong Disneyland spokeswoman Esther Wong said.

Photographs published in the Apple Daily newspaper showed the man sporting a white T-shirt with the words "blood," "reveal the truth" and "SOS" written in red paint. He was also shown placing a small penknife at his throat.

The man was unhappy that he was fired three months ago for allegedly violating park rules, including using obscene language during working hours, the paper said.

He climbed down unhurt after a two-hour negotiation with police and fire fighters, Wong confirmed.

A Hong Kong trade union has received about 60 complaints of alleged labor abuse _ including long hours and lack of rest time _ from Hong Kong Disneyland employees since the park opened last month.

But Labor Department spokesman Ricky Chan said Disney had not violated any labor laws.

Wong stressed that the park has already made labor-related improvements after discussions with unionists.

:arrow:  http://www.mickeynews.com/

Anthony

This isn't good news, but I'm very glad the guy climed down safely without actually committing suicide.

It would be interesting if someone with experience of both situations (ie. a journalist?) would write an article comparing the problems with CMs at both DLRP and HKDL during their opening months.  I don't think anyone at DLRP was ever that extreme, but from what I've heard over the years there were definately lots of problems.

Jorien

:?

Dlrpfan

Only descoverd this topic!

That is a bit groosem
Dan
Remember Dreams Come True! \":mickey2:\"

[size=100]\'We Keep Moving Forward\' [/i][/size] - Walt Disney

Disneyland Resort - 2007 2010
Walt Disney World - 2001 2003 2005 2006 2008 2009 2011 2012/2013
Disneyland Paris - 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2004 2005 2007
Disney Cruise Line - Disney Wonder: 2008 2009 Disney Dream: 2011 Disney Fantasy: 2012