how does pin trading work?

Started by gemmasteele84, June 14, 2012, 12:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gemmasteele84

Im going to disneyland with my kids (5 and 6 years old) next year and was wondering how pin trading worked? We bought them some last time we went and wanted to get some more this time and thought pin trading might be fun. Obviously with their ages they're not going to be bothered about 'limited edition' ones, more whatever is sparkely for my dd and has a car on in the case of my son, lol, but when strading with staff do they take the value into account? would they need to trade 2 pins for one they want which is older iywkim? Just trying to work out if I should bother or just buy them more :lol:

Thaliel

Unless you are going to special pin trading events, the people you trade with will not really bother what the pin you ask from them is worth excpetion might be pins that are give to CMs only or some from disney parks around the world). Most CMs who wear a pin lanyard will know which pin they can/want to trade. Like we once got a few WDW pins from CMs. Just approach someone and ask if they want to trade, they'll most likely trade for whatever you offer them. You can of yourse also trade with other visitors if you see any with a lanyard. If you manage to cross the language gap, it can be fun to trade with completely random ppl. Last but not least, there is the pin trading walls. The one near Gibson Girl will not always be around, so try to ask for when it is available. Those walls can be a good resource for rare/exclusive pins. You can trade one pin per wall per day, and the pin you trade should be around the same rarity as the pin you take off the wall. The CM in charge of the wall will take care of checking that for you, showing ypu the selection pf ins that you can choose from for the pin you are giving away.
<-Plz click

jenniedisney

Pin Trading is uber easy, and rather addictive!!!

- your best bet is to buy a starter set. This will give you 4-6 pins to start trading and they cost about 15euros.
- Wear the lanyard at all times, keep an eye out for guests and cast members also wearing them
- If you see a pin you like on a lanyard, swap it with one of yours.
- To buy "extra" pins will cost about 6euros a time.

- Don't forget to look for cast members everywhere! Shops and hotels are the best places for that

- There are some SUPER traders, you can find them on main street, they have HUNDREDS of pins, but don't expect a trade. They know what they are after, and they generally have everything!!!!!

- BE CAREFUL, ITS ADDICTIVE!!! I started back in 2000 when i was 9 years old. 12 years later I'm still at it!!!
Been going to Disney since October 1992.
Hotels Stayed in:
Cheyenne 1992
Disneyland Hotel 1993-Present
Sequoia Lodge - 2010
Disneyland Hotel Castle Club 2007,2008,2010,2011,2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Millennium Celebration 1999-2000 in Disneyland Hotel

WDW Cast Member 2016-2017
Stayed in EVERY resort on property

petals

I don't know if it's the same in Paris with this as it is in WDW but in WDW some cast members will have green lanyards on and those ones can only trade with under 12's

gemmasteele84

thanks guys, :) Will definetly be getting both the kids a set :)

petals

What is supposed to happen is you pick what pin you want to trade of yours. You ask the CM if you can trade with them and tell them which pin you want to trade for and they are supposed to accept. I asked Disneyland guest services about this because this wasn't my experience in DLP. I found CM's telling me that they would only trade if I had a pin they liked. Some wanted to choose which I traded so I kept the ones I was keeping off the lanyard. Others told me at times that th epin I wasnted to trade for they wanted to keep. That's not how I've experienced pin trading in WDW at all though.

disney_mama

I'm taking my little boy, who will  be nearly 3, in September and i think he'll love this i have a good collection of pins from previous trips but have never bothered trading before, so i'll be keeping an eye on this thread :D
[size=150]Taking my Little Boy to meet Mickey Mouse and Buzz Lightyear in September, staying for 4 nights at the Sequoia Lodge

DLRP 2006 Hotel Cheyenne
2008 2009, 2010 The Marriott
[/size]

bad-pink-tink

Quote from: "petals"What is supposed to happen is you pick what pin you want to trade of yours. You ask the CM if you can trade with them and tell them which pin you want to trade for and they are supposed to accept. .

This is what I have been told by a friend who is a CM  at Disney California for many years. She is a huge pin trader and at Disney California CM are not allowed to refuse to trade.  Guests can go to any CM who is wearing pins, have a look at what pins the CM has and if you would like to trade, the CM has to to accept whatever pin you offer in return.  

When I go to DLP in a few weeks I will be looking to trade pins to give to my friend in California in the summer. I will be looking for mainly 2012 /2013 Disneyland Paris pins, which I know my friend will not have.  If anyone has any suggestions of good pins to look out for, pins which a major pin collector would be interested in , let me know, cos I want to get my friend some good pins if I can  :) I have a lanyard of pins which my friend gave to me to trade
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016