Disneyland Paris vs. Alton Towers

Started by nathan.jackson, July 08, 2008, 11:53:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nathan.jackson

Look at this...

prices for 2 adults, 2 children

Alton Towers 4 days in the 1 theme park £392

Disneyland Paris 4 days in the 2 theme parks £344

Bear in mind you get 2 parks at Disneyland Paris and 1 at Alton Towers. Also Disneyland Paris is open until 11pm, Alton Towers is only open until 7pm!!

Alton Towers is a rip-off or Disneyland Paris is extremely cheap!

Clarebelle

I've always said this! and Disneyland is the better option in my opinion

But have you taken into account, the 2 for one offer at alton towers? (tetley tea) or looked at one of the many b&bs in the surrounding area? worth it if you are looking at going
5th Anniversary - Hotel Santa Fe
Christmas 06 - The Kyraid Hotel (extended vistit <!-- s]

nathan.jackson

Quote from: "Clarebelle"But have you taken into account, the 2 for one offer at alton towers? (tetley tea) or looked at one of the many b&bs in the surrounding area? worth it if you are looking at going

True... no I haven't!

Clarebelle

we were thinking of staying up in leek in a holiday cottage and traveling down for a day trip or two to warm up for disney lol bit more traveling but cheaper  :D but I'm sure there is a travelodge nearer

nathan.jackson

Yeah, there are travelodges absolutely everywhere!!

Kellogs

Although I agree that at the moment some of the prices at Alton Towers are extortionate, you have to take into account many different factors.

A) You would not normally need 4 days at the Alton Towers resort, 2 will surffice, even 1 on quiet days.

B) The onsite are expensive for what they offer, and although convient, there is an array of hotels within a close proximity to the park, including Travlodges, Premier inn, and Holiday Inns, and local B&B's.

C) With all the deals going at the moment, e.g. 2-4-1, Walkers Crisps, Woolworths vouchers, online booking etc, it is very rare for somebody to pay the full entrance fee.

D) There are now 'Towers2' tickets which you can perchase on your first day to revisit either the next day (costing £8) or any other time in the year (costing £13).

E)There is also the Merlin Annual Pass which can be puchased at the park, with this you can visit an array of other attractions in the UK, unlimited for a year, inlcluding, Thorpe Park, Chessington World of Adventures, Madame Tussauds, The London Eye, The London Dungeons, Legoland Windsor, and Sealife Centres for £110. Very good value considering a Blackpool Pleasure Pass costs over £100 for just one park.

F) Along with the Merlin Pass, Alton Towers has its own pass for £66, again unlimited visits for a year. Both these passing allow free parking,. and many discounts throughout the resorts.

G) Raising prices in the resort are partly down the credit crunch hitting the country at the moment.

H) You can save money on food by taking you own, or visiting one of the parks own outlets like Fish and Chips or Rita's Chicken and Ribs, where you get much more for your
money for the same price as a Burger King meal. As for if your staying over in the hotels, there are plenty of pubs close by offering great meals for little prices, and you can always venture out to Blyth Bridge or near-by Uttoxutor which have an array or eateries.      

You CAN have a cheap weekend at Alton Towers with forward planning, and research. :)

Anthony

And beyond the prices, don't forget that Alton Towers isn't much to shout about, whereas DLRP has one of the greatest themed parks in the world. Although just one point - you do have to add in the cost of transport, which would make it considerably more. But personally, I'd rather never visit Alton again in my life and save the money for DLRP.

It'd be like going to see a bad amateur production of The Lion King in my hometown over and over rather than just saving that money and going to see the real Disney thing in London.

Here I go with the Alton bashing again...

Epcot_Boy

:hello:

As Baloo says, why buy a replica of something when you can save up for a while and buy the real thing. Alton Towers and DLRP are chalk and cheese, no comparison :)  :wink:

Epcot_Boy :ears:

David

Nicholas-c

your rarely pay full price for alton towers tickets, however its still expensive...
August 2003, 04, 05, 06, 07 and 08 - With family
Halloween 2008 - Best trip ever
July 2009 - All alone

davewasbaloo

Glad to say I have not been to Alton Towers in 10 years and I am glad of it. Much rather go to a Disney resort. AT is not child friendly, is not very themed, has huge queues for let down attractions, poor food and shopping. I am interested in the water park, but that is it really. I used to love Nemesis, but there are really only 4 attractions worth while to me at AT.

In the same timeframe, we have been to DLP about 30 times, DL in California twice, WDW twice, and Legoland a fair few times. AT APs are cheap, but poor value in my opinion (when I was a teen I may have had a different view).
since 2001 (many before that)

miss disney fan

Quote from: "Clarebelle"we were thinking of staying up in leek in a holiday cottage and traveling down for a day trip or two to warm up for disney lol bit more traveling but cheaper  :D but I'm sure there is a travelodge nearer

you can get a room at AT from £59pn with breakfast but theres also a travelodge in uttoxeter which is not to far from AT where you've got one or two supermarkets and afew small shops to buy your food and you can use your tesco clubcard vouchers to buy tickets with for the entrance fee, but on the other hand i only go to AT because i live about 10mins away from there and also i work there (hiding behind the pc in my lovely uniform, lol  :P )

Nicholas-c

Quote from: "miss disney fan"you can get a room at AT from £59pn with breakfast but theres also a travelodge in uttoxeter which is not to far from AT where you've got one or two supermarkets and afew small shops to buy your food and you can use your tesco clubcard vouchers to buy tickets with for the entrance fee, but on the other hand i only go to AT because i live about 10mins away from there and also i work there (hiding behind the pc in my lovely uniform, lol  :P )

uttoxeter is pretty far away :p my house is closer lol

Alton towers Annual passes are good value at £66
August 2003, 04, 05, 06, 07 and 08 - With family
Halloween 2008 - Best trip ever
July 2009 - All alone

miss disney fan

Quote from: "Nicholas-c"
Quote from: "miss disney fan"you can get a room at AT from £59pn with breakfast but theres also a travelodge in uttoxeter which is not to far from AT where you've got one or two supermarkets and afew small shops to buy your food and you can use your tesco clubcard vouchers to buy tickets with for the entrance fee, but on the other hand i only go to AT because i live about 10mins away from there and also i work there (hiding behind the pc in my lovely uniform, lol  :P )

uttoxeter is pretty far away :p my house is closer lol

Alton towers Annual passes are good value at £66

uttox is not that far away, trust me i've done the trip god knows how many times

Clarebelle

ah but if i go to shropshire, or derbyshire my mum pays for the cottage thanks for the advice! not sure what to do anymore maybe just another trip to disneyland lol

nathan.jackson

Oh I see.  :shock:  If you were to buy 4 annual passes for £66 that would only cost £264...

Suppose that it is cheaper..  :(

Oh well... I would much rather go to DLRP! So  :P  to Alton Towers!!