The Haunted Mansion (Guillermo Del Toro 2012)

Started by Anthony, July 22, 2010, 10:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

YES!

QuoteComic Con: Guillermo Del Toro Will Be Rebooting The Haunted Mansion

As a surprise at the end of the Tron: Legacy panel Disney had a big announcement to make: they're rebooting The Haunted Mansion, and Guillermo del Toro is going to be directing it.

Del Toro talked about his length about his memories of visiting the original Disneyland attraction as a child, and emphasized that he wants to be truer to it than Disney's earlier attempt to cash in: "We're being true to the original art and aesthetic or the original Imagineers who created the mansion. We are not returning Eddie Murphy's calls." He continued, "To me the mansion has to become the haunted house movie that a generation remembers and loves after being created by us."
QuoteGuillermo del Toro said that the appeal of the film is that the Haunted Mansion can be used as a framework to tell many kinds of stories, but he was relatively explicit about what kind of film he'd be making. "We are not making a comedy," he said. "We are making it into an e-ticket ride. It will be scary and fun, but the scary parts WILL be scary."
Speaking to THR, del Toro said, "(Walt) Disney is one of the creators of some of the scariest images in my childhood. People forget that he not only made sweet images but also images of nightmare. We need to honor that side of the legacy."
Full story: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Comic-Co ... 19741.html
And: http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/07/22/gui ... d-mansion/

Kristof

The Hollywood Reporter had an exclusive Q&A with Guillermo del Toro.

Read it here:

http://heatvision.hollywoodreporter.com ... creen.html

-breeno-

Wow, I just heard two great pieces of news in under 30 minutes, this being one of them! (the other being news regarding a video game, but you don't care about that :P )

Interesting to hear that it will be "scary", exactly what a Haunted Mansion movie needs right?  The last one was a mess, and it's good someone seemed to notice that!
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

luke85

So pleased to hear this! Although I would have preferred a story based on Phantom Manor, that could have been really spooky!

peep

Hurrah for Del Toro. This film is much more exciting than that Hobbit film he was meant to be making :D

The best news is clearly the fact that Eddie Murphy will not be returning!!!
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320

Soap

Quote from: "peep"Hurrah for Del Toro. This film is much more exciting than that Hobbit film he was meant to be making :D

Well with all do respect, but HM can't even come close to The Hobbit and it's legendary role in the fantasy genre!
Nonetheless, this being picked up bij Del Toro is fantastic news, so long Eddy  :D/
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

dagobert

Quote from: "Soap"
Quote from: "peep"Hurrah for Del Toro. This film is much more exciting than that Hobbit film he was meant to be making :D

Well with all do respect, but HM can't even come close to The Hobbit and it's legendary role in the fantasy genre!
Nonetheless, this being picked up bij Del Toro is fantastic news, so long Eddy  :D/

I don't get all the hype about the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. I read the books and they were so boring. I have also seen the movies and I don't like the so much, but I have to admit that the movies are a lot better than the book.
But that's just my opinion.

Very interesting news about the HM movie. The attraction deserves a better adaption than the Eddie Murphy version. It is such a bad movie and I don't like it at all.

Anthony

Quote from: "Kristof"The Hollywood Reporter had an exclusive Q&A with Guillermo del Toro.
He has a whole room dedicated to The Haunted Mansion? Wow. It's like my future dream home where each room is themed to a land a la Walt's restaurant... :lol:

In fairness to Eddie Murphy, it wasn't him which made the earlier film bad but those awful, awful children.

One of the best things I've read so far is that they intend to give the outside world its own character too. I thought the whole modern estate agent setup of the original was a bit dull, very Disney Channel original movie.

Soap

Quote from: "dagobert"
Quote from: "Soap"

I don't get all the hype about the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. I read the books and they were so boring. I have also seen the movies and I don't like the so much, but I have to admit that the movies are a lot better than the book.
But that's just my opinion.

Very interesting news about the HM movie. The attraction deserves a better adaption than the Eddie Murphy version. It is such a bad movie and I don't like it at all.

NP, everybody may have his own opinion  ;)
For me, and a big part of the fantasy addicts, it's like the Bible and my religion.
And on that, it's one of the most selling books after the Bible :lol:
//http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_books

Sorry for the offtopic  :oops:
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

The Helmsman

Excellent news  =D>  :D !!! This ride deserves something so much better than what they did with that other movie. And Guillermo being a genuine fan, makes things even better!
~It Be Too Late To Alter Course~