Sequoia Lodge questions and visiting with elderly parents.

Started by dlpowl, July 21, 2018, 09:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlpowl

Hi guys,

Been to DLP many times but never stayed in Sequoia Lodge.  We're currently planning our next family trip (me, hubby, 3 kids) but this trip will be the first with my parents so I'm having to plan and think completely differently as I have them to consider.

They're both 70 and although they're good for their age, they're still 70 years old and I don't envisage them lasting a full 12-14 hours a day in the parks with us.  Disneyland Hotel and Newport Bay are out of our price range and I'm not a fan of the New York so I'm looking at Sequoia Lodge. I have some queries which I don't seem to be able to find answers for online so I'm hoping you guys can help...

We'd be booking under the '25% off plus free meal plan' which seems to be saying we would get a hot breakfast but I thought you only got the hot breakfast (bacon, sausage, egg etc) if you booked a Golden Forest room?   Or has that changed?

I think the Golden Forest option might be good for us because my parents would be coming back to the hotel at least once a day for a rest so they would be able to get free drinks and afternoon snacks in the Golden Forest lounge.  We would probably come back with them too on some of the days. 

Is the swimming pool available to all guests or just GF guests? 

Also, am I right in thinking the meal plan is the plus level?  So we'd be able to eat at Captain Jack's, Bistrot Chez Rémy and Cape Cod? 

I'd love to hear your experiences of Sequoia Lodge, what you think of GF (if it's still available) and also, your experiences of visiting DLP with older people and any issues that you had or tips you can give!  Thank you!

bad-pink-tink

I stayed at Sequoia Lodge, in one of the lodges, not the main building, with my mum. She was 62 and while very active, she wasn't able for the open close 12 to 14 hours like me.

I had bought The Unofficial Brits Guide To Disneyland Paris book and made notes through out the book for my mum. I marked things that were a must do and things which I knew she would not like to avoid. I gave her this book a few weeks before the trip so she could familiarise herself with the parks and the Disney language we take for granted.

After the first evening when I showed her around and pointed out landmarks etc, we agreed to separate during the days of the rest of the trip

In the morning we had breakfast together (this was when the breakfast buffet was still included ) and then I went off to the park and she went back to the room. She then went to the parks on her own. She likes to do things at a slower pace and take lots of photos.

Then at lunch time we met up and did a couple of rides together. In the afternoon she went back to the hotel while I stayed in the parks.

We then met up again in the evening and depending on our arranged time and place, did anther ride together and then had our evening meal. We stayed out late one night to watch Dreams and the fireworks.

You need to plan and make arrangements before hand. Our trip worked as we both knew and respected each others touring styles. My mum knew that I was go go go from breakfast to park close and didnt expect me to "babysit" her or stay with her the whole time. I knew that my mum did things slower than me and I made sure to spend time with her and not just forget about her.

You need to make sure that everyone is on the same page. That the oldies are not expecting you to stay with them the whole time and miss out on things you usually do. And you need to reassure the oldies that while you go off on your own for a few hours, you wont forget about them and wont leave them on their own all the time.

Also get them a Disneyland Paris book so that they can be included in the planning. The oldies may feel left out if you do all the planning online and they cant be involved.  Schedule rides or attractions that everyone can participate in, and the same with meals. You may find you eat at places you have avoided in the past :)

When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

claire2281

The meal plan breakfast does include a hot breakfast option but it's a takeaway sausage muffin. I know it has been possible to pick up your breakfast from the bar in SL rather than going to the park but I don't know if this includes the hot option.

The swimming pool is available for all guests.

Yeah it's the middle tier meal plan so includes those mentioned. Of course you can also go for the more expensive ones and pay the extra if you really wish.

I like SL during the winter as the decor is suited to that season, although I tend to stay in the Cheyenne mostly because it's cheaper and has better themeing. Of course SL is a bit closer to the parks which is understandably what you're looking at.

I remember when we were booking for this summer that due to the % off, the GL and a standard room at NBC were pretty much the same price which is worth bearing in mind.

A good tip for tired afternoon times is to go up to Cafe Fantasia in the Disneyland Hotel and get a drink there. They do teas, coffees and hot chocolates and anyone can visit there. It's a lovely place with amazing service. A bit more expensive than popping into Starbucks but it's a lovely treat in a very relaxing place.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

polar vixen

We've just done golden forest and it was awesome . Although with the 25% off n free food it is a breaksfast in the parks if you book golden forest the price of that includes breakfast in the golden forest lounge which is amazing. The staff there are so lovely and also don't have any issue with you asking for drinks later in the day to take to your room. I would highly recommend it. It also gives you a room in the main building., and yes it's plus level. You may not fancy the hotel New York but the buffet there is plus level and was the one liked best by all 8 of us

grovesie

We are staying GF at the end of August. We mainly travel with my in-laws who are mid to late 70's. They love the whole experience. We just have to take out time and spread things out a bit. Our kids are now old enough and have been enough to go and do what they want and either return to us or by the time we get to them they have done their ride or close to doing it.  I feel we have actually seen more of the park by taking our time.

I am sure that you all will have a great time.

dlpowl

Thanks, guys, you've given me some good stuff to think about.

Badpinktink - great idea about the guide books!  I have 2 DLP guidebooks, the official brochure and a park map so I will defifntiely give those to my parents so they can get more of a feel for the place.  They're not Disney people but bless them, they are really trying to learn and get into it so that they can join in with us! 

Claire2281- good point about NB not being much more expensive with the 25% off, I'll definitely bear that in mind.  And yes, I'd never thought of sending them to Cafe Fantasia for a rest, great idea!  So much nearer!

Polarvixen - the GF lounge does sound so tempting and the hot breakfast would be great because we wouldn't be going to breakfast until about 9am so if we have a good feed we won't need lunch and can manage with snacks. 

grovesie- This is what I'm thinking...going at my parents pace will be very different (we usually walk 10-15km a day in DLP!) but I'm actually looking forward to doing it at a slower pace to see if we get more out of it.  Sometimes it feels like we're rushing around so much that we almost don't take it in.

We do plan on staying with my parents all the time, apart from when they return to the hotel in the afternoon for a rest, which is when we will do our own thing.  The whole idea of this trip is so that they can see my kids enjoy Disney so we know we won't get as much done as we usually do but we're okay with that, it's about giving my kids those memories with their Grandparents and vice versa.  My Mum doesn't eat meat either but she does eat fish so we have that to think about when making dining reservations.  Hence why I thought Cape Cod might be good as I've heard they have a good choice of fish dishes. 

I think the thing I'm worried about the most is them getting so tired that they become ill or that they can't manage every day so I'm trying to plan everything so that we can go at a slow pace.  I'm an only child so me and my children are my parents entire world.  Which is lovely but also a big responsibility and I just want everything to be perfect for everyone.