Getting there?

Started by Slowhand, June 09, 2018, 04:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slowhand

My wife and I have booked a 3 night stay at DLP in early August this year and we were planning to get there by Eurostar.

Our problem is that we live in Stoke-on-Trent and we`ll be travelling on a Sunday, but the earliest train from Stoke to London Euston arrives in London after the direct train to DLP has already departed which means that we would have to catch the next available train, transferring at Lille......is this much of a hassle?

Another option would be to fly to Paris and get to DLP by bus.

The 3rd option would be to drive all the way there and back.

[The return journey home should hopefully be easier to sort out.]

What do you reckon is the best option for us to get there?

rocker

The Eurostar change at Lille straightforward.  But check carefully... All Eurostars go to Lille Europe station, but some TGV trains (on which you will do the Lille to Disney section of the journey) go from Lille Flanders station (a 5-10 minute walk from Lille Europe).  A bonus is that these indirect trains are often much cheaper than the direct service

My brother travels from Sheffield & he always get the overnight ferry from Hull to Zebrugge, a good way to break up the journey & you can book a little cabin.  It's then 3 hour drive from Zebrugge to DLP.

Magic Shuttle bus from the airport is a bit slow (over an hour)...but it gets you there...

Pete's Dragon

You can also get the TGV from the airport, takes 11 minutes to the park

Slowhand

Thanks for your quick replies folks. Decisions, decisions !  :)

giselle

We live in stoke and we always drive. We travel to folkestone, stay overnight in premier inn and catch an early eurotunnel. 35 mins later you are in France. 3 and half hours later, all straight motorway/A roads you can be in Disney.

I have flown, and used eurostar passenger train. Much prefer driving, amdnyou can fit a cheeky stop at Cite Europe on tge way back for French food, wine and beer

Slowhand

Quote from: giselle on June 11, 2018, 09:28:47 PM
We live in stoke and we always drive. We travel to folkestone, stay overnight in premier inn and catch an early eurotunnel. 35 mins later you are in France. 3 and half hours later, all straight motorway/A roads you can be in Disney.

I have flown, and used eurostar passenger train. Much prefer driving, amdnyou can fit a cheeky stop at Cite Europe on tge way back for French food, wine and beer
Now that`s an idea...although we could not travel to Folkestone the day before [I have a wedding car business and have a wedding to attend to on that day.]
Do you book the tunnel crossing in advance or just roll up on the day?

giselle

Book in advance - it usually works out cheaper the earlier you can book. However, they usually offer an earlier train if you get there within 2 hours of your normal time.

We have left stoke at 5pm the previous day,  you can check in premier inn up to 11pm

If that's toonfarnin one evening, we have also stayed at the Dartford bridge premier inn, just over the Thames, then you have about 1 hour or so to the tunnel
X

Slowhand

Quote from: giselle on June 11, 2018, 09:28:47 PM

Hi to a fellow Stokie!

Ok I`ve decided to drive to DLP after an overnight stay in the UK.
I hear that there are a number of tolls on the French roads. Are they manned or do you need loads of loose change?

Zee79

If you are travelling from Calais then the booths are no longer manned( originally manned until about October last year)so you will need change. It's about €22.40 I think. You collect your ticket at the first booth then pay at the last booth. Queues are worse for it personally. If you have an issue there is a help button to press.

dlpowl

Get yourself a Revolut card.  Cheapest way to spend abroad.  You can use it in all the shops/restaurants in DLP and also at the toll booths on the motorways.  We always drive, it's so easy and the tunnel is brilliant.