Advice please!

Started by mackemlad79, August 06, 2017, 06:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mackemlad79

OK. We've never been to DP and are considering a trip at late notice at the end of the month.

Now we have 3 children (7,4,1). Would going be a big no no at this time of year especially with three kids? Im concerned about queuing and being so busy.

If we did go what would you recommend in terms of hotels, length of stay, food etc? Budget is upto 3K at a push but ideally no more than 2.5K if possible.

Is Thomas Cook the best option? We'll be looking to fly I think.

Any comments much appreciated.

Thanks

Leosawesomedad

I just got back from my first trip with my 5 year old son, I booked directly with DisneylandParis.co.uk, we had 5 days and 4 nights at the hotel Cheyenne, travel by Eurostar and TGV from st Pancras via Lille, a PhotoPass and a character breakfast. I didn't book a meal plan but half board would have been £180 on top.

The price I paid was £1016.

£230 of that was the travel.

I took €860 to cover food and shopping, but it was my birthday there and my sons in a few weeks plus our first time so I went a little crazy in the shops but I still came home with €100.

A few queues for Autopia or Big Thunder Mountain were 60-70 mins but mostly there were things to do with 20 min wait times and using fast passes or the time when others are watching the parade you can do those longer wait time queues much faster.

We had a great time and can't wait to go back!

I plan to drive next time however.

Hotel Cheyenne - First ever trip - August 2017
TBC - August 2018

mackemlad79

Quote from: Leosawesomedad on August 06, 2017, 07:09:01 PM
I just got back from my first trip with my 5 year old son, I booked directly with DisneylandParis.co.uk, we had 5 days and 4 nights at the hotel Cheyenne, travel by Eurostar and TGV from st Pancras via Lille, a PhotoPass and a character breakfast. I didn't book a meal plan but half board would have been £180 on top.

I took €860 to cover food and shopping, but it was my birthday there and my sons in a few weeks plus our first time so I went a little crazy in the shops but I still came home with €100.

A few queues for Autopia or Big Thunder Mountain were 60-70 mins but mostly there were things to do with 20 min wait times and using fast passes or the time when others are watching the parade you can do those longer wait time queues much faster.

Thanks. We really fancy flying as the train to London then onto Paris would be a nightmare with the kids

Im assuming flights on top of that would be where the extra expense comes from

Leosawesomedad

Actually, it would have been cheaper for us to fly there but my son loves trains so we did it that way. I booked during a deal at the start of the year and the 5 days/4 nights at the Cheyenne came to under £700 at the time.

The Eurostar Direct is the easiest route but expensive,

We had the Eurostar to Lille and a change to the TGV which went to the park. In my opinion, the TGV is both the fastest and the nastiest train I have ever been on so I can't recommend it and I won't be doing it again.

My sister is flying in a few weeks and her holiday was less than mine.

I'm Driving next year for the convenience of the luggage and comfort. I'm an HGV driver though so the distance isn't an issue for me.

Try Travelmagical.co.uk and compare quotes with Disneylandparis.co.uk, both can arrange everything for you however you travel.

TBC - August 2018

bad-pink-tink

Quote from: mackemlad79 on August 06, 2017, 06:10:42 PM
Is Thomas Cook the best option? We'll be looking to fly I think.

No, honestly, DIY is far far better than general travel agent for a few reasons.

1. Disneyland Paris has different version websites for each country in Europe. Each country has different deals and offers. This is because people in different countries look for different things and holiday in different ways.

You can book through ANY country website, not just the country you live in. For example I am from Ireland but on my last trip in February 2016, I book using the French website.

When you use a travel agent, they only have access to their local country deals and offers. So for example, a Thomas Cook travel agent in Oxford Street, London, will only be able to access the UK version of Disneyland Paris and will only be able to access deals and offers specific for UK people only.

Also you can book direct with Disney through the website or by phone. When you book by phone just tell them you want the deal / offer listed on the xxxxx Disneyland Paris website.

When you book by phone you can pay a deposit and the balance online 30 days before arrival

When you book online the full amount is payable at the time of booking.

2. Travel agents get commission based on what Disney hotel they book you into. Some hotels have a higher % commission than others. The travel agent may advise you to book a particular hotel based on the % commission the will receive, where in fact a different location may suit you better. For example I know one family who booked a Disneyland hotel package through their local travel agent. They thought they were staying onsite, but it turns out they were booked at a partner hotel, so they couldn't access EMH and had to get a shuttle bus. They were also disappointed with the hotel and location as they expected Disney standards. This is a clear case of a travel agent booking something which benefited them more than the family.

3. When you book flights direct with the airlines, the airline can fix flight problems very easily. When you book flights with a travel agent, when you pay the money, your flight is just RESERVED.  The money is held by the travel agent. The travel agent at about 30 days before departure releases the money to the airline. This is when you flight is CONFIRMED and you receive a confirmation number. If the travel agent does not release the money to the airline, then you are not a confirmed passenger and there is nothing the airline can do.

I learned this the hard way. In 2015 I booked flights to LA with a travel agent. The flights were Dublin to Heathrow on BA Heathrow to LA with Virgin Atlantic.  I turned up at Dublin airport and found out that BA had never received the money from the travel agent so I wasn't on any flight. I had to wait until the travel agent opened and they had to rebook me on a completely different itinerary for the following day. I had to stay at the airport overnight, pay for a hotel at Dublin airport and rearrange my hotel and transport in LA as I lost a day of my holiday.
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

claire2281

Quote from: mackemlad79 on August 06, 2017, 07:41:13 PM
Quote from: Leosawesomedad on August 06, 2017, 07:09:01 PM

Thanks. We really fancy flying as the train to London then onto Paris would be a nightmare with the kids

Im assuming flights on top of that would be where the extra expense comes from

You may want to look at the train as most people consider the Eurostar actually far easier if you go to Disney direct. The Disney Express service is an optional extra which allows you to get your park tickets on the train. When you get to Disney, you drop your bags off at the station and then go to the parks. Your bags are taken to your hotel for you and you can collect them after 3pm when you check in. Depending on what hotel you're at and how busy it is I've even had them taken to the room before.

If you fly in to CDG you have to get a shuttle or private hire to Disney and then check into the hotel before you can go to the parks. Similarly when you leave you have to go and get your own bags from the hotel and get to the airport whereas with the train and the Express service you just drop your bags off at the hotel luggage room in the morning and go to the station when it's time to leave. It's a lot more convenient and a lot less hassle imo.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

Leosawesomedad

The Express luggage service is available on indirect train routes as well, you get your tickets at the Disney Express counter in the train station. If you don't mind paying for it then I agree the Direct EuroStar service is probably the fastest and easiest way to get there but in your situation it's likely to cost a lot more than flying.

TBC - August 2018

polar vixen

Factor in that with flying you also need to pay for airport transfers. You could cobsiser driving down the day before stopping sonewhere cheap like a travelodge then eurostar the next day.

mackemlad79

Thanks for all the advice- something to think about! We do live next door to Newcastle airport- but saying that we usually park in the airport carpark anyway for convenience- hence more £££