First Timer Tips!

Started by Poppy, June 30, 2017, 06:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poppy

Hi everyone! We are visiting Disneyland Paris the second week of September with our 3.5 yr old  ;D We are staying in New York hotel mid week. Does anyone have any tips and must do's for our trip? Are fastpasses essential or would we be okay to do without these at that time of the year? Best places to eat? Where to start? Thanks in advance  :)

seraphelle

Disneyland Hotel ~ 3rd - 6th October 2013
Sequoia Lodge ~ 28th October - 1st November 2014
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 12th - 20th November 2015
Sequoia Lodge ~ 15th - 18th May 2016
Day trip ~ 1st August 2016
HiPark ~ 4th - 6th November 2016
Rive Gauche ~ 17th - 21st February 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 29th May - 3rd June 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 23rd - 27th October 2017
Rive Gauche ~ 27th - 30th October 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 14th - 19th March 2019

Poppy

Great, thanks for that! I had searched through the forums but must have missed that link! Some handy tips  ;D

loupenny

Hello!

We were there the exact same time last year  :D it's a lovely time to visit!

I would definitely still make use of the fastpasses... they're free! What's better than free? The fastpasses are dispensed from special stations next to the ride. There will be a return time shown above the station, you scan your entrance tickets and a fast pass will be dispensed with that return time. Simply wait until then and come back to the fastpass with your fast pass ticket and you enter a much shorter queue. You have to wait until your time is up and then you can get another... for example.
It's 10am and Peter Pan's return time is 12. You get a fastpass and go back there at 12, ride it and then go to Ratatouille, Ratatouille's return time is 4pm, you get a fastpass and go back at 4 etc. etc. (if you know all this then apologies!)

The way that we always 'do disney' is to get up early for extra magic hours, wait until the park opens to get our first fast pass, try and get another fastpass before midday and then LEAVE, we go and have a nice long lunch, have a nap at the hotel for littles, whatever. We don't go back to the park until around 3/4 when everyone clears out after the parade... so much more enjoyable and then we stay on until Dreams and park closing. It's the best general tip I could give because so many people power through the day and then leave straight after the parade, and that's just when we're rocking up ready and refreshed!

Have a magic trip!
In the past - Disneyland Hotel, New York, New Port Bay (DLP) Caribbean Beach (WDW) and AP holder at Tokyo Disney.
Recent Years - Kyriad - 2011
Santa Fe - 2015
Dream Castle, B&B hotel, Air BnBs - 2017

never2old

September is a great time to go, crowds are manageable and weather is usually just perfect.

Some personal tips:

- Book restaurants in advance. Unless you're planning on counter service for all your meals, try to book at least one restaurant per day. We usually try to get something quick for lunch (if possible before 12:30 to avoid the longer lines) and then book something for dinner. Have a look online for the different restaurant menus to see what you fancy. Have a look also at which restaurants are open (many close during the low season) to avoid running around the parks looking for something to eat... Personally we love the buffet in Agrabah Cafe (mediterranean cuisine). The Plaza Gardens buffet is also very good (more continental food). The Bistrot Chez Remy in the Studios is another favourite (booking in advance absolutely a must, it does get full up). Another great one in the Studios is the Cafe des Cascadeurs (but it is often closed) We used to love the Blue Lagoon (the restaurant in Pirates of the Caribbean), we'll have to wait and see what it's like now that it's changing to Captain Jack's.... For the counter service restaurants, we always recommend Hakuna Matata, Toad Hall and the Cowboy Cookout. In the Disney Village, we like King Ludwig's and Annette's. The new Vapiano is a bit further away but also has great fresh good.

- Get a pushchair. Bring your own if you have it, even if your child no longer uses one. Parks are exhausting, I find my daughter still needs her chair (she's 6 now). It means she can save her energy for rides (and queues). It's also easier to move around when she's in the chair - otherwise we end up running behind her...

- Try to get as many of the most popular rides in the morning, before the parks fill up. We like doing things like exploring Adventure Isle, going on Alice's labyrinth or going on the riverboat during the afternoon, when parks are busier. They're also attractions that allow the children a bit of movement (my daughter absolutely loves running around the labyrinth and telling us where to go). There are also a couple of small playgrounds, one in Adventureland next to Hook's galley and one in Frontierland, not too far from the Cookout Barbecue, which (if they're open, they do seem to close for no reason) allow the children to run around for a bit...

- Don't miss the Parade. Go early (at least 30 minutes, 1 hour if you want to see it on Main Street). We usually grab a spot in Fantasyland, around the restaurant Bella Notte. It's quieter than Main Street (so usually 30-40 minutes is enough to grab a good spot), and then once the parade finishes we can go straight into the rides in Fantasyland. I usually stay with my daughter saving our spots while my husband goes and gets something to eat while we wait.

- Don't miss Mickey and the Magician, in the Studios. It's really quite something, definitely the best show around.

- Keep an eye out for unscheduled character appearances, mainly in the back of Fantasyland by Casey Jr, next to It's a Small World, or in the Studios in the front lot or close to the Animagique theatre (where they show Mickey and the Magician)

- Take it easy... There's a lot to do, a lot to take in, a lot to explore. I find it's easier, particularly with little ones, to do less and enjoy what you do, rather then trying to fit it all in and end up exhausted. If a ride has too long a queue, don't bother with it (unless you can get fastpasses). If you're feeling too tired, go and have a rest. It's better to leave wanting more and with a reason to go back, rather than exhausted and saying 'never again' ;)

Have a magical trip :)

seraphelle

Quote from: Poppy on July 03, 2017, 10:01:46 PM
Great, thanks for that! I had searched through the forums but must have missed that link! Some handy tips  ;D

It's ace isn't it? Everything in one place  ;) ;D
Disneyland Hotel ~ 3rd - 6th October 2013
Sequoia Lodge ~ 28th October - 1st November 2014
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 12th - 20th November 2015
Sequoia Lodge ~ 15th - 18th May 2016
Day trip ~ 1st August 2016
HiPark ~ 4th - 6th November 2016
Rive Gauche ~ 17th - 21st February 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 29th May - 3rd June 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 23rd - 27th October 2017
Rive Gauche ~ 27th - 30th October 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 14th - 19th March 2019