Any advice for a first timer please?

Started by PrincessWonderland, June 21, 2017, 02:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrincessWonderland

Hello,

I am aiming to book to go to Disneyland in December, specifically on the 18th for at least 3 nights.

It's my first time and the whole booking and working out the best deals etc is a bit of a minefield! I will be alone on my trip and my budget can go up to around 1200 excluding spending money during the actual trip but of course would love to do it for less if possible.

My main questions are:

- Is it better to book directly with Disney or on one of the partner sites that have their hotels like expedia etc?

- Is a Disney hotel or one of the hotel's nearby better for a female adult alone? Can anyone recommend a hotel to stay in? I don't really want to have too much travel to the park's each day.

- How does booking things like character dining or other experiences work if I book separately from Disney? Can I still make restaurant reservations etc?

- How often do adults queue for things like character meets? Any other solo adult goers out there? I think it's ok to queue for meeting characters as an adult isn't it?

- Do you have any general tips for a female adult heading there alone on what to consider etc. I'm 23 and very happy in my own company. I'm aware there will be probably hundreds of children around the week before Christmas but I am going to celebrate both my birthday and being clear of cancer for a special number of years so I don't mind the children being around etc, just being there and taking it all in will be an achievement for me!

Thankyou in advance :)

never2old

Congrats on being cancer free, definitely a great thing to celebrate in Disney!!  :D

I can't advice too much on the best place to book because for a few years now we've been AP holders so best deal is usually staying offsite.

Personally since you're on your own, and for a first trip, and with so much to celebrate, I would definitely stay onsite. The partner hotels all have shuttle buses, but it can be quite hectic in the bus station with lots of people pushing to get into a bus. With the added winter cold and darkness, I would much rather enjoy the walk back to the hotel... All Disney hotels are walking distance (except Davy Crockett), personally I'd recommend the Sequoia Lodge (if possible in Montana room to be in main building and not in the lodges), the big fireplace in the hotel bar is particularly welcoming in the winter...

You can book restaurants by calling Disney directly. However if I remember right (it's changed recently) for the buffet in Inventions it's only for Disneyland Hotel guests in the evening, and I think for all Disney hotels guests for lunch. You also have breakfast in the Plaza Gardens, I think that is also only for hotel guests (but not too sure about that). The Auberge de Cendrillon (the princesses restaurant) is available for all to book.

I've seen plenty of adults in the queues for the characters, so no worries there :) Remember that once we get there we're only adults on the outside   ;D

Go to City Hall and get an "I'm celebrating" badge  :D

And have a magical time   :)

claire2281

Great to hear your news - and Disney at Christmas is a wonderful place to celebrate anything.

Your budget is plentiful for what you want so I would be inclined to book through Disney or one of the travel companies - make it easy on yourself.

I concur with staying at the Disney hotels. They're much easier to get to and I've never felt anything other than 100% safe. Sequoia is a very good suggestion as it's the sort of hotel that's perfect for winter. If you felt like treating yourself you could upgrade to a Golden Forrest room for some extra perks.

And don't worry about meeting characters as an adult - you get some visitors who think it should only be for kids but the cast members won't bat an eyelash. Often they really enjoy meeting adults as it gives them a totally different experience.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

Disneymaria

Hi

I would consider to go that extra and pay for a club room, Sequoia Lodge Compass club  or NewPort Bay compass room.

for 4 nights from the 17-21 December it would right now cost 769 pounds at New Port Bay compass Club as you get 4 nights for the price of 2.

You'll get breakfast in the lounge area, free soda, coffee etc, treats in the afternoon and a single fastpass pr day.

It would also save you some money on drinks and food during the day.

Go treat yourself you deserve the extra luxury :-)

I'll bet you have an amazing time, and yes you can do all the things YOU want <3
April 2012 Davy Crockett
March 2013 Cheyenne
November 2013 Cheyenne
November 2014 Disneyland Hotel
November 2015 Sequoia Lodge
November 2016 Sequoia Lodge Golden forest

PrincessWonderland

Thankyou for your tips and responses everyone!

I'm awaiting the eurostar tickets to become available and then will be booking my stay and tickets through Disney directly I think!

Really enjoying reading everyones topics on here, making it very exciting!

I definetely plan to do at least one Character Dining :)

Thanks again! ;D

Lolly_Belle

Sounds fantastic! Just to let you know, I think Eurostar is available already, as we've booked a direct train back from DLP for 1st December - booked this at least a month ago directly online with Eurostar
Sept 1999 - DLP Sequoia Lodge
Jul 2000 - WDW off-site
Oct 2001 - DLP Sequoia Lodge
Mar 2002 - DLP Sequoia Lodge
Nov/Dec 2002 - DLP Sequoia Lodge
Mar 2006 - DLP Disneyland Hotel
Dec/Jan 2008/9 - WDW Swan Hotel
Oct 2014 - DLP Disneyland Hotel
Jul 2016 - DLP Hotel New York
Nov/Dec 2017 - DLP Sequoia Lodge GF
May 2019 - DLP Newport Bay CC

seraphelle

I cannot think of a more perfect way to celebrate both of your milestones  ;D Have a fabulous time and enjoy every second.  :-*
Disneyland Hotel ~ 3rd - 6th October 2013
Sequoia Lodge ~ 28th October - 1st November 2014
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 12th - 20th November 2015
Sequoia Lodge ~ 15th - 18th May 2016
Day trip ~ 1st August 2016
HiPark ~ 4th - 6th November 2016
Rive Gauche ~ 17th - 21st February 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 29th May - 3rd June 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 23rd - 27th October 2017
Rive Gauche ~ 27th - 30th October 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 14th - 19th March 2019