NPB Compass Club or SL Golden Forest

Started by SVioletS, March 11, 2017, 04:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SVioletS

Hi all,

We have the flights all booked to go 5-10 September.

We are going club level to garantee the breakfast in the hotel and we will probably upgrade to a full board plan later on.

However we are debating whether we go to NPB Compass Club (lake side) or Sequoia Golden Forest. I know they are both club level and will include basically the same perks, but what would you do? There's a price difference of about 400€ between both.

Do you prefer the summer feel of the NPB or the warmth of the Sequoia?

Thanks for the feedback!

First time ever: August 2000, one day visit!
August 2010, NewPort Bay, 5 days
October 2012, Sequoia Lodge, 5 days
April 2014, Sequoia Lodge, 6 days - Big 7th Bday Surprise for DD#1 :)
September 2015, Newport Bay 6 days - Another surprise!!!

claire2281

My personal preference is Sequoia Lodge. I've liked NBC when I've stayed there but I don't think it's that much better than SL tbh.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

SVioletS

I've just booked the Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest for 5 nights!

Couldn't justify the difference even though we loved the Newport Bay in 2015! I will keep an eye  for the new offer after this one anyway! ;)

Thaliel

The main difference would be the kinds of food offered during breakfast and tea time. for example, compass club had mustard, ketchup and the such in small jars, whilst golden forest has small tubes. You will also have a slightly greeater number of foods to choose from. compass club offers lie...at least 5 different kinds of yoghurt, golden forest has around 3 I think. Also, compass club has a big check in room instead of a simple seperate stall as is the case with golden forest.
The only negative thing we experienced on our stay in compass club last week was that 3 adults with a wheelchair in just one room is rather stuffy, as you will not have much soace to store stuff. You only have one dresser with drawers, one with just a side compartment and a few hangers, whih are somewhat being blocked by the iron and bathrobes.. Golden forest will give you two adjoined rooms when you travel with a handicapped person and 3 or more people. This will most likely cause us to get back to golden forest the next time, we just need the space (plus an extra bathroom is always welcome)
<-Plz click

cjebs

I booked the sequoia lodge suite which was 40 pounds cheaper than the standard compass club room at Newport bay so we now have VIP fast passes . so was a bit of a no brainer, if you ever have the chance of upgrading to a suite the fastpasses make it a whole different experience unless your not really into the thrill rides or going with small children ofc

the NPB is all brand new and shiny and will probably be marginally better than the golden forest but I don't think you would be disappointed at all by going to the sequoia.

I can't give an up to date first hand experience of the club itself as when I was due to go there in 2015 they moved us into the DLH instead, in 2013 I did the New York Empire State club which was very nice also.

SVioletS

We have done the golden forest in 2014 and it was lovely but o be honest the main reason we're doing it again is hotel breakfast! We have stayed in the NPB before and after the refurbishment. We really liked it when we stayed there in September 2015 and since we're going in September again i would like to stay there again... But not without hotel breakfast lol! However i don't think it's worth to pay the 400 EUR difference between golden forest and compass club. The sequoia is nice too and we have enjoyed both times we stayed there! I just feel it's more wintery than the NPB, if we were going in December i would chose the sequoia in seconds... Am i being clear? 😉

Anyway wouldn't mind being upgraded to the dlh ahah lucky you!!

We never stayed at the new York as it doesn't appeal to us.. though the location is great!

Also there's 4 of us but when we went with my mum we booked an extra conjoined room and the extra space and bathroom was really useful! This was in sequoia Montana room.

cjebs

it will be interesting to see what happens to the New York hotel now NPB has been referred, I believe this is the next hotel to be referred and re themed I think?

last time I looked it was the same price and NPB since its 4 key upgrade from 3 and only base rooms can be booked on line currently , it is the most convenient of the 3 around the lake but probably the worst theming in terms of popularity. I wonder it will become 5* like DLH once upgraded