Anyone done indirect Eurostar

Started by littlebitofpixiedust, January 01, 2017, 12:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

littlebitofpixiedust

Hi, we've only ever travelled directly but as this time we're booking for one night/2days for my 30th birthday celebrations we can only book direct for return journey which I've done this morning. Eurostar said I can do an indirect train but only book 3months prior?

So where do we change for the easiest connection? Any tips I'd appreciate as this is our first time getting an indirect train. Thank you  :)

Zee79

I've never been by Eurostar but when I've been looking at trains myself it has been a change at Lille & I know plenty of people on here have done it.

naisworld

I poster about this last month as we are changing at Lille for the first time later cruise month. My post was titled Eurostar Changing at Lille. There are a few replies and it all sounds quite easy! X

rocker

Lille every time.  You could get the RER from MLV to Gare Du Nord but it's a schlep.  Just make sure you book the whole thing via Eurostar so that if your train is to Lille is delayed then you should be fine getting a later connecting train.

01wdw04

I did the indirect Eurostar back from DLP last January, changing at Lille. The 3-month booking window will be because these are normal French TGV trains, not special Disney/Eurostar routes, and so follow the standard French procedures.

The TGV part is very easy; the change at Lille was a bit of a faff, having to go up to the concourse to go through security and then back down to the same platform we had come from, with a huge crowd of people all doing exactly the same.

With kids or lots of luggage, the change could be a bit of hassle, but otherwise it's very easy. Plus you get to experience French TGVs
DLP - 1995, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2012 x2, 2013
WDW - 2001, 2004
Tokyo - 20?? (tbc)

littlebitofpixiedust

There's just myself and 2 other adults travelling so shouldn't have much luggage or problems  :) thank you for the reassurance though just hoping we don't miss the connecting train but if there's lots of other people doing the same sure will b ok

littlebitofpixiedust

Thank you to everyone who's replied making me feel slightly more at ease about changing trains for the first time  :)

CitrusZing

We did the indirect service back in Jan 2015, and I swore never to do it again. But I have given in and am doing it next week as there are no longer direct Eurostar services in January.

- If it's cold out, the Lille Europe station is freezing cold. Wear layers.
- There isn't many places to get food/drinks. There is a shopping mall opposite the station. Be prepared to use some French.
- Watch your bags/belongings carefully, my Mum was nearly pick-pocketed on the TGV train.
- The Eurostar 'lounge' at Lille Europe is poor. No cafe, and the vending machines didn't work when we were there in 2015.

I'm hoping it has improved since I last used it. I will see next week.
DLP: 1992 Summer (Cheyenne).
2012: May (Santa Fe).
2013: Nov (Kyriad).
2014: Jan (Cheyenne), & Halloween (Kyriad).
2015: Jan - Birthday Trip (Disneyland Hotel) & Sept (Sequoia Lodge - Golden Forest).
2016: April (Sequoia Lodge - Golden Forest).
2017: Jan (Santa Fe - 1 night birthday trip), March (Hotel New York - Empire State Club), June (Cheyenne - 1 night trip) & Sept (Santa Fe).
Upcoming:
Sept 2018 (Newport Bay Club - Compass Club).