Driving to DLP - Pros and Cons??

Started by Mushu_Stitch, October 03, 2016, 06:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mushu_Stitch

Hi all,

So me and my other half are both keen to get back to DLP next year for the 25th Anniversary celebrations but because we went earlier this year we aren't sure if it will be pushing our luck financially. Going to DLP can add up to be a costly holiday (especially with us who are avid collectors and probably buy too much :D ) so we are looking at how to bring the cost down.

Staying at a hotel off-site is out of the question as we enjoy going for the full immersive experience and we are pretty smart about money we spend on our meals. So travel seems the obvious one to tackle.

Typically Eurostar is the first choice. It's so convenient as it takes you right in to DLP and doesn't take too long either. But as with anything you have to pay more for this convenience so travel quickly puts the total cost right up. We talked about maybe driving there but I wanted to know from you guys who have done it whether it's actually worth it?

We live in Kent so getting to Dover for the Eurotunnel isn't a massive journey (1 hour tops) but what about the drive on the other side? If you have any information on the below that would be fantastic:

- Roughly how long does it take to get to DLP once in France?
- Are there lots of tolls/how much are they?
- Is the parking at the DLP hotels free?
- If anyone has done both Eurostar and driving there, how do they compare? Does one stand out as the better option in terms of time and cost?

Apologies for rambling on but any help would be greatly appreciated!  ;D

jacmurphy

We havent done eurostar because of the cost we drive everytime. It takes about 3 1/2 hrs 1 toll to pay 21.70 euros each way. Parking at hotels is free. There are lots of service s on the way so you can stop and take your time. its not an unpleasant drive. A couple of times we have hit a little traffic on the way home but just getting away from paris. For me the money i save on travel and accommodation (we usually stay in partner hotels and have an annual pass) has allowed us to take the number of trips we have this year and treat the kids to lots of goodies and to spend a little more on character dining.
May 2015 Explorer
Sept 2015 B&B (Old one)
Dec 2015 Davy Crockett
March 2016 Davy Crockett
June 2016 New B&B
Sept 2016 New B&B
Nov 2016 Hotel Cheyenne
Feb 2017 Sequoia Lodge

polar vixen

Remember the cost of your fuel though (hours each way) and the cost of your tunnel Crossing- we have to drive down the country but even with paying for 6eurostar seats the train still works out about the same price.

A Princess Disnae......

Hi. We drive down from Scotland every time. Was brought up in Kent so used to travelling up and down the M6! When pricing either flights or eurostar it doubles the cost of our holiday and as said earlier, the money saved pays for other parts of the trip. Got to DLP and back again two weeks ago on 3 tanks of fuel and £80 for the ferry crossing and 1 toll fee each way of less than €20. It's pretty straightforward on the other side and as we travel overnight the roads are quieter and we can make the most of the time in the parks by arriving early doors.
Newport Bay 2002, Santa Fe 2013, 2014 & 2015, DLP Half Marathon Weekend Cheyenne 2016, Sequoia Lodge February 2017, DLP Half Marathon Weekend 2017 Hotel New York.
Magic Run Weekend 2018 Disneyland Hotel, Sequoia Lodge Feb 2019. Next holiday Magic Run Weekend 2019 Disneyland Hotel

polar vixen

One pro that we do like of driving is that we can stay at Davy Crockett ranch which happens to be our favourite Disney site. You'd have to drive to the parks each morning but it's a lovely site -nice to sit out on an evening with a glass of wine, free pool table, table tennis, tennis, and pool.

MrsRoachy

We drove this year and will be doing the same in April. Like others have said it's not a difficult drive and there are plenty of places to stop for a rest/food/toilet. One bonus for me was that you can take what you like, we were loaded up with bottles of water, Capri-sun for the kids and Diet Coke for us. We also had snacks galore. When we go in April we can take clothing for all weather possibilities without having a restriction on bags etc

ChipandDale99

We travel down every from about the same location as you (Kent)
We much prefer driving, though it is not as restful for the driver as sitting on the train we love the flexibility of it. There are about two crossings every hour on eurotunnel and at least 1 an hour for ferry. This means we can choose to arrive anytime we want. Whereas there are only a few eurostars a day so you are stuck to those times.
It is also a lot cheaper. For us as there is very little drive in England it is less than a tank of petrol there, we refill before leaving Disney. So it's not that costly on fuel. This holiday in February we looked at Eurostar. The indirect trains sold out so for 3 of us Eurostar was £700. Driving costs no where near that. We pay our crossing on eurotunnel with Tesco vouchers that we save up over the year so we really only pay about £100 on travel. (Incl tolls)

jacmurphy

I forgot to say about the flexibility of times, we usually take the 6.20am eurotunnel going out and the 9pmish on return, so we then have the majority of both days to spend in the park. Usually arrive at disney by about 11.30am and leave after the parade on return day. Petrol for me, i live near heathrow, use a full tank driving too and driving to and from hotel all week and fill up for the return journey. Cost £260 (tunnel, petrol and tolls) compared to £590 for travel by eurostar for 3 of us. No brainer if you dont mind driving and want to enjoy the flexibility of having your car. It does also give you option of staying at cheaper accomodation if you wanted to
May 2015 Explorer
Sept 2015 B&B (Old one)
Dec 2015 Davy Crockett
March 2016 Davy Crockett
June 2016 New B&B
Sept 2016 New B&B
Nov 2016 Hotel Cheyenne
Feb 2017 Sequoia Lodge

Sulley's Arms

We always drive, taking Eurotunnel using Tesco Clubcard vouchers, so its free.

We live Midlands so approx 400 miles each way (£80 roughly).

The roads in France are a pleasure to drive on!  The trip to DLP takes us approx 2h45m in France.

We often stay offsite using discount sites so get good deals. Davy Crockett Ranch is our favourite though  :D

As the driver I'd love to take Eurostar one time, but it would cost a hell of a lot more than the approx £100 fuel to drive (incl the journeys whilst there), so it's well worth taking the car and either having more to spend inside DLP or saving it for another trip!
Trip Counter
Nov 07 - DCR [4d]
Mar 09 - DCR [3d]
Feb 11 - DCR [4d]
Oct 11 - Kyriad [3d]
Dec 11 - Adagio [3d]
Feb 12 - DCR [6d]
Jun 12 - Crecy Golf [4d]
Aug 12 - Crecy Golf [2d]
Feb 13 - Adagio [4d]
Dec 13 - Crecy Golf [3d]
Feb 14 - DCR [5d]
Mar 15 - Sejours [4d]
Feb 16 - Kyriad [4d]
Dec 16 - Offsite [3d]
Feb 17 - Adagio [4d]
Aug 17 - Offsite [2d]
Dec 17 - Offsite [3d]
Dec 18 - Cheyenne [3d]

Mushu_Stitch

QuoteI forgot to say about the flexibility of times, we usually take the 6.20am eurotunnel going out and the 9pmish on return, so we then have the majority of both days to spend in the park. Usually arrive at disney by about 11.30am and leave after the parade on return day.

I was under the assumption if we drove we would not be able to get into the parks until after 3pm as that's when you can check into the hotel. I thought you didn't get the park tickets until then and getting them early was a perk just for Eurostar.

Is that not actually the case? Can you actually get into the parks before check in? And can we spend the last day in the parks too after checking out? Can anyone clarify how that works?

If that is the case then that would make driving a much more appealing option as well as sounding much cheaper.

Zee79

You can check in early & get your park tickets & go to the parks early, you just can't get access to your room until after 3, unless you are lucky &  your room is ready of course.
You check out by 11, store your luggage & stay in the parks until you are ready to leave. We usually leave about 3:30 as we get the 8pm train back to the UK.

Sulley's Arms

You can actually pick up your park tickets the night before you check-in, if you're in the area...
Trip Counter
Nov 07 - DCR [4d]
Mar 09 - DCR [3d]
Feb 11 - DCR [4d]
Oct 11 - Kyriad [3d]
Dec 11 - Adagio [3d]
Feb 12 - DCR [6d]
Jun 12 - Crecy Golf [4d]
Aug 12 - Crecy Golf [2d]
Feb 13 - Adagio [4d]
Dec 13 - Crecy Golf [3d]
Feb 14 - DCR [5d]
Mar 15 - Sejours [4d]
Feb 16 - Kyriad [4d]
Dec 16 - Offsite [3d]
Feb 17 - Adagio [4d]
Aug 17 - Offsite [2d]
Dec 17 - Offsite [3d]
Dec 18 - Cheyenne [3d]

MattR

After I saw the french parking styles for the very first time with my own eyes it was out of question every going by my own car to France.

jacmurphy

Quote from: MattR on October 05, 2016, 06:41:02 AM
After I saw the french parking styles for the very first time with my own eyes it was out of question every going by my own car to France.

What do you mean by french parking styles? Never had a problem driving or parking in france
May 2015 Explorer
Sept 2015 B&B (Old one)
Dec 2015 Davy Crockett
March 2016 Davy Crockett
June 2016 New B&B
Sept 2016 New B&B
Nov 2016 Hotel Cheyenne
Feb 2017 Sequoia Lodge

MattR

Quote from: jacmurphy on October 05, 2016, 08:59:19 AM
Quote from: MattR on October 05, 2016, 06:41:02 AM

What do you mean by french parking styles? Never had a problem driving or parking in france

Bumperbumperbumper

I mean that they are parking so close that the bumpers of the cars touch and if someone wants to use his or her car he is hitting the car in front and in the back of his or her car until he has enough space to get out of the parking space.

I don´t want to spend 4000€ on new bumpers after my holiday.