Driving over for the first time- worried about it

Started by bex986, September 05, 2016, 01:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bex986

We are going in 6 weeks. Taking our 5 yearnild and 1 year old.
Have been loads of times on the eurostar, this will be the first time driving over.
Family keep going on about all the trouble in calais especially today with the protests etc.
Am kind of worried especially having the kids in the car and I am the only driver.
Not sure what to do whether to stick with the eurotunnel booking or book a brittany ferry to Cherbourg instead as this will avoid Calais, but we would loose a day of our holiday basically.

Is it really as bad as the news is making out?

polar vixen

have you considered checking with your insurance company if seeing if you can get on eurostar instead?  I think for peace ood mind add you're the only adult it's definitely what I'd do

twigs72

We went over about 3 weeks ago on the eurotunnel and had no problems as a family of four, 2 adults and 2 children age 6 and 11. We took the 8.50am to Calais and a return at 5.50pm to folkstone. The only thing is I have just seen on the news that there are protests towards the port of Calais about the migrants so don't know how long this will last.

bex986

Thankyou for your replies, have spoken to thomas cook and they said at the moment there is no problem with travelling on the tunnel although if that changes they will let us know and we can change to the ferry going from dover to dunkirk

whatsupanders

Don't worry about it, you'll be fine. Remember the news makes money off people clicking on headlines. "British family cross channel without incident" wouldn't be a news story. :)

jacmurphy

We came back last night we hit traffic so was later than planned. Arrived at Calais at 10pm there was no problem. I am going back at the end of november and driving again
May 2015 Explorer
Sept 2015 B&B (Old one)
Dec 2015 Davy Crockett
March 2016 Davy Crockett
June 2016 New B&B
Sept 2016 New B&B
Nov 2016 Hotel Cheyenne
Feb 2017 Sequoia Lodge

marf91

We travelled on the ferry from Calais over the summer and there was no problem at all. It is all fenced off now and we didn't have any troubles at all. It is all much better than it was say 2 years ago.
PREVIOUS VISITS:
Oct 1993, Aug 1994, Aug 1997, Jan 1998, May 1998, Aug 1998, Aug 2001, Jan 2002, Aug 2002, Aug 2004, Jan 2005, Aug 2006, May 2007, Aug 2007, Jul 2008, Aug 2010, Aug 2011, Aug 2013, Aug 2014, May 2015, Aug 2016

FUTURE TRIPS:
New Year 2016

MrsRoachy

We weren't sure about the Calais trouble when we went earlier this year so sailed Dover to Dunkirk. It's adds a bit of time onto the journey but it's a lovely crossing and we didn't hit any traffic at all