Christmas 2016

Started by onceuponadream, April 14, 2016, 08:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

onceuponadream

So it may be a little early but we're in holiday-planning mode in my household. Christmas at DLP 2015 was just fantastic - we travel quite a lot but I can honestly say it was one of the best holidays we've ever had.

After a few long discussions it looks like Christmas this year is on the cards! I am excited about the prospect but also slightly hesitant - how much actually changes year to year in terms of seasonal decorations and events? Will it all be the same as last year (same parades, Frozen procession, singalong Frozen, etc.) or are there likely to be differences? I've seen that there are a couple of new shows coming soon but not sure if they'll last the Christmas season - any advice? If it is the same I'm sure it will be fine but it might affect the length of our trip.

We have the choice this year too of going a little earlier (12th to 16th) rather than 16th onwards...last year it was quiet for the first few days and then pretty busy at the weekend, but to go earlier would mean going back to work as soon as we got back so no time before Christmas to relax. I appreciate that this is a very privileged dilemma to have, but I hope you don't mind if I ask your thoughts - would going a few days earlier be worth it in terms of having a less busy park? Wasn't too bad last year...!

Thanks in advance :)
December 2015 - Sequoia Lodge
December 2016 - Sequoia Lodge
July 2018 - Newport Bay Club

Zee79

It really depends on what you prefer. We went early November one year & lovely & quiet, following year we went in early December busier but quieter, both times we sent back to work/school straight away, it got us into the Christmas spirit more. 2014 went went for new year  & came back in the sunday & we were all back at work on the Monday. We were shattered due to it being busy but thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. It may be nicer if not as busy also is it cheaper?

The decorations I think depend upon whether they are needing to change the theming/ upgrading them. They changed between 2011 & 2014 for us . Chant c'est noel was the music for the parade when we first sent but last time it had changed, not for the better in my opinion, when chant started we all got a tingly feeling & I still do when I hear it  :) Each time we have been at Christmas the lighting of the tree has been different which has been nice.

daddyof2

There's no such thing as planning too early, I'm looking at 2017 and 2018 holiday plans.
I've never been at Christmas, but to me the best thing is having a not so busy park - not having to spend ages queuing is a huge bonus, but I have young children who hate waiting.

onceuponadream

Thanks, both, that's really helpful. I have read online that Big Thunder Mountain may be opening from 16th December - is that the case or is it definitely January? If so that would impact our decisions.

The prices are the same for all the options we're considering.

SUTHEL3

Hey :) I went Nov 2014 and Nov 2015...decorations were the same, the window displays may have been slightly different though. There were a couple of changes though, in 2015 they added the normal Disney magic on parade and the tree lighting ceremony had characters. Apparently 2013 had this and they did it without in 2014 but decided to put them back in 2015. So unless 2016 is due a change - which I wouldn't think so as I'd assume they will change things up for the anniversary, it'll be the same?

Either way you will have a fab time :D xx

pasxalis1987

Well regarding the decorations,i went on chistmas 2013,2014 and 2015. More or less the same,didnt noticed any major changes. In fact i didnt noticed any changes at all!
However,i was staying during allnof visits at DLH,and the decoration on the lobby changed last time. You can see it even on youtube videos.

Anw,i wanna ask you guys something cause i am planning ahead as well for my next holidays, planning to visit DLH again at Christmas 2016 but i have noticed that they have increased their prices a bit.
Last year i paid somewhere around 1350 euros for a standard room for 4 nights.
This for this year they are asking 1450 for the same package.
Does anyone else noticed this?

rebecca20

Hi,

I am also looking to book for Christmas 2016 possibly in late November time as I thought it might be quieter?

Anybody have a trip report? I can't seem to find any recent ones
♥ Disneyland Paris 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2015 ♥ Disney World Florida 2009 ♥ Disneyland California 2008 ♥

Next Visit: DLP March 2016.

Samanthad

Oooh I have just booked for 14th-18th December today, so you are not too early!! I am in full planning mode.... very excited about it! Husband won't have to return to work once we are back so it really is going to feel festive in our household!!
I have never been during the christmas season before so I am really looking forward to seeing all the decorations.
What are the park hours typically during december?

We have swindled a good deal with Santa Fe, I know not the most festive of the hotels but it massively came down to budget if we stayed in a disney hotel at all to be honest so I am just glad to be staying onsite! Sorry to hijack the post a bit but seeing as you all have a lot of christmas experience, has anyone stayed at the Santa Fe for christmas and is it decorated very festive or not really?

I hope you have fun planning your christmas trip as much as I am having fun planning ours!!!
Disneyland Paris: Santa Fe 2001, Newport Bay Club 2005, Offsite 2015, Offsite 2016, Hotel B&B Disneyland 2016, Santa Fe Christmas 2016, Offsite May 2017, Santa Fe July 2018, Offsite Sep 2018 1/2 Marathon.

Disney Cruise Line: Disney Magic 7 night Mediterranean Cruise 2017

Next Trip: July 2022

Zee79

I think the park hours are usually until 8pm during the Christmas period. We loved going new year because we got midnight closing like in the summer. Just make sure you wrap up warm.
We've stayed in the Santa Fe & Cheyenne over the Christmas period & the put festive decorations up & had a lovely big tree outside that we got our pics taken in front of.
We are hoping to go Christmas 2017 again. I love it there at that time of year.
Enjoy your planning!

onceuponadream

Booked! We've decided to go when it's a little earlier, so we're off on 12th December. Extremely excited again - I thought I was going to have to wait at least another two years to go! I think this probably means we won't be there for the anniversary celebrations in 2017, but it'll still be there in a couple of years' time :).

Thanks for the help, folks!

marf91

I'm headed to DLP in December this year too. I haven't been over th Christmas period in a while so can't comment on changes but I just feel like the experience is so magical no matter what!
PREVIOUS VISITS:
Oct 1993, Aug 1994, Aug 1997, Jan 1998, May 1998, Aug 1998, Aug 2001, Jan 2002, Aug 2002, Aug 2004, Jan 2005, Aug 2006, May 2007, Aug 2007, Jul 2008, Aug 2010, Aug 2011, Aug 2013, Aug 2014, May 2015, Aug 2016

FUTURE TRIPS:
New Year 2016