First trip with a nearly 4 year old

Started by Nya, February 18, 2016, 09:40:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nya

Very glad to have found this forum and hopefully can pick your brains.

1.  We would like to find the quietest time to go between 26th February and 20th March.  Are there any times to avoid then and which part of the week is quietest.  I REALLY want to avoid queues as much as possible with my 3 year old.  Also by going at the quietest possible time is there anything that won't be on?  Basically is it ever too quiet and a wasted trip as not magic? 

2.  If we are doing separate hotel - where is the cheapest place to buy the park tickets?

3.  Is there anything Disney Cars or Toy Story to see?

4.  Any cost saving tips please?

5.  Any advice with a nearly 4 year old?  Are there lots of height restrictions - is it a good age to take him?  We want to go before the arrival of our second child so hoping so.

Thanks anyone!  Feel free to tell me anything else I should know. 

15stitch

Hi,

I'll try and answer what I can!

There is a website, (sorry I don't have the link) which you can check school holidays in Europe (so you can avoid those dates).  I went mid March last year with my 2 year old and it was lovely.  Short queues and we were really lucky with the weather.

I'm not sure with the hotel as I've always stayed on site.  I'm sure someone will be able to help you though.

There is a toy story area with several rides and a cars ride too.

There are a few height restictions but on everything apart from rollercoasters you will be fine.   I took my 2 year old last year and we went on most things (he loved it!) and we are going back in May (he will be three and a half) and we both can't wait.  4 is definitely a good age.

Enjoy  :D
1995 WDW (offsite)
1998 DLP (Newport Bay Club)
2001 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2002 DLP (Hotel New York)
2003 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2004 WDW (offsite)
2005 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2006 WDW (Grand Floridian)
2007 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2008 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2011 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne)
2015 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
May 2016 DLP (Newport Bay Club)
December 2016 DLP (Sequoia Lodge)
April 2017 WDW (Animal Kingdom Lodge)
June 2019 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne)

Araminta

I am going for the first time this year, we chose an apartment offsite when booking our trip, we used the accommodation booking with Trip advisor and were very impressed (almost overwhelmed) with the choice available  :)

never2old

I usually check ooparc to get an idea on when to go; it seems that the second and third week of March are not too bad (from the 8th onwards, avoiding weekends)

Have a look on the DLP website, you can buy day tickets (online) and their prices depend on the dates; depending on how many days you're going for you may find it better value than getting multiple day passes. I've heard there are websites that sell cheaper tickets but I've never used them, so I cannot really comment on those.

As 15stitch says, there's a whole Toy Story area (in the Studios). Buzz also has a meet 'n' greet location in WDS (I think Woody is sometimes there as well). And of course there's Buzz Lightyear's Laserblast in Discoveryland, it's always been a favourite for my daughter (she was 2 when she tried it for the first time). Queues can build up so go first thing in the morning, or get fastpasses. It's the kind of ride you want to do more than once!

There's a Cars ride in the Studios, and McQueen also appears in the Stunt show - though I would only do the Stunt Show (also in the Studios) if it's not too cold, you're sitting outside for quite some time (or get a nice blanket to keep warm....) We did it with my daughter last year (she was 4) and she loved it.

As for tips... Take a push chair. Even if your son no longer uses one, he'll want it in Disney. Days are long and they involve a lot of walking, it is very tiring specially for the little ones. We only use our pushchair in Disney now (my daughter is almost 5). I also have a blanket for her, so that if she falls asleep (which she usually does at some point) she can keep warm and cozy...

It's a great age to take them to Disney, everything's so real to them, it's pure magic! My daughter loves going to see the dragon under the castle (I've explained to her that's it's a good dragon, not a nasty one, because how could they keep a bad dragon with so many children around??). She loves meeting the characters (or even just seeing them... Last time during the parade Anna waved at her, it was one of the highlights of the trip). She loves choosing which rides to do next (she's been a few times now so she knows her way around). Everything around Fantasyland is great with little ones. Pirates of the Caribbean she's OK with now (she was scared for a while). Phantom Manor is a no-go (we did it once a couple of years ago and she still remembers it...). In Discoveryland, Buzz is always a must, and last time she discovered Autopia and it's now in her list of top rides.

Don't miss the Forest of Enchantment show. It's absolutely brilliant.

And try to see Dreams at least once... It's real magic.

Have a great time!!