Disney dining on a budget!

Started by Samanthad, January 05, 2016, 04:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samanthad

I thought it might be an idea if there isn't one already to start a thread with some money saving ideas for dining such as their example meal plans. As a pass holder we stay offsite so we don't benefit from any dining plans, but do get a little discount at restaurants. We are on a really tight budget on our next trip as we wanted to squeeze in a spring visit before our summer holiday.
Usually we eat out everywhere, and I know there is some question about whether picnicking is allowed or not in the parks, but we don't plan on laying down a blanket, just eating a sandwich as we walk around, so with that in mind here is our plan to save the pennies on out next trip:

Breakfast: croissants and juice in our hotel (bought from super market)
Lunch: sneaky packed lunch of a sandwich and some snacks
Dinner: Agrabah Cafe - we feel this is good value as it is all you can eat and we have children under 3

We plan on doing the same on th 2nd day but are unsure where to eat for evening dinner, any budget friendly suggestions appreciated. We plan on being in the studios on Sunday.

Does anyone have any better suggestions? Any input appreciated!!

Disneyland Paris: Santa Fe 2001, Newport Bay Club 2005, Offsite 2015, Offsite 2016, Hotel B&B Disneyland 2016, Santa Fe Christmas 2016, Offsite May 2017, Santa Fe July 2018, Offsite Sep 2018 1/2 Marathon.

Disney Cruise Line: Disney Magic 7 night Mediterranean Cruise 2017

Next Trip: July 2022

stifle

Have you considered Café des Cascadeurs? It's good value if a rather short menu. Restaurant des Stars is also an option if you normally go to Café Agrabah.

Samanthad

Thanks I will have a look at the menus!

Disneyland Paris: Santa Fe 2001, Newport Bay Club 2005, Offsite 2015, Offsite 2016, Hotel B&B Disneyland 2016, Santa Fe Christmas 2016, Offsite May 2017, Santa Fe July 2018, Offsite Sep 2018 1/2 Marathon.

Ohana

I can't imagine them having any qualms about you having packed lunches aslong as it's not all obvious in a massive picnic basket haha (but who would even do that?)

When I was there I saw many people sneaking breakfast buffet supplies (croissants and the likes) into the parks to snack on during the day, I'm sure it'll be fine! :)
(•–•)

November 2015 -- Santa Fe
May 2016 - Santa Fe
November 2016 - Cheyenne
July 2017 - B&B Hotel

stifle

There is no problem bringing sandwiches, snacks, non-alcoholic beverages, and the like into the parks. Giant picnic hampers are frowned upon but I'm sure that wasn't what you were planning.

Zee79

Quote from: Ohana on January 06, 2016, 06:14:46 PM
I can't imagine them having any qualms about you having packed lunches aslong as it's not all obvious in a massive picnic basket haha (but who would even do that?)

When I was there I saw many people sneaking breakfast buffet supplies (croissants and the likes) into the parks to snack on during the day, I'm sure it'll be fine! :)

When we were there during summer 2012 there was a family who setting up camping stoves & had full blown cooked meals in fantasy land! People just stopped & stared & nothing was done whilst we were in the area.

NHDisneylover

Probably the most budget friendly place (though it feels like counter service, so not really a nice dining out experience) is Pizza Planet.

I want to say it was 20 or 21 € per adult and it is all you can eat pizza (several types), pasta (3 types with 3 kinds of sauce) salads, and desserts (surprisingly good, a decent sized variety of bakery quality items).  Soda and bottled water were also included and unlimited (soda is refill yourself at a fountain and you have to flag someone down and ask for water, but they are very nice about getting it to you).

Overall, lots of food for the money (we have a teen boy, also known as a bottomless pit, so this can be helpful) -- but again, it feels more like counter service (paper plates, plastic cutlery, etc).

stifle

Samanthad

Thanks for your suggestions! Has anyone tried plaza gardens? What is the food like in there?

I think we will now go for cafe des stars on Sunday, and it's a toss up between agrabah cafe and plaza gardens for Saturday, which would you choose?!

stifle

I was in Plaza Gardens last month. Starters are soup and salads, for main courses, there is one kind of carved roast meat, two or three other meat dishes such as barbecue chicken leg, lamb curry, etc., a pizza, four or five vegetables, potatoes, rice, and so on. Desserts include ice cream, tarts and cakes, and marshmallows for a chocolate fountain.

Unlimited soft drinks are included. Reservation is advisable.

I haven't been to Café Agrabah so can't comment beyond that I've been told it is primarily Mediterranean/Middle Eastern.

naisworld

There is currently an offer on Groupon France for Planet Hollywood. Adult meal, sundae and drink for about 10.50 and kids menu with drink for about £5!  I've just bought them to use next month! 😄 McDonalds is obviously a cheap option and we also use Earl of Sandwich a lot!

Disneylove

Quote from: stifle on January 09, 2016, 09:55:17 PM
Pizza Planet is now closed down.

Do you have any official sources on this? As far as I'm aware it's still open, but PP in DisneyWorld has closed down.

ChipandDale99

Quote from: Disneylove on January 12, 2016, 07:42:15 AM

Do you have any official sources on this? As far as I'm aware it's still open, but PP in DisneyWorld has closed down.

I think pizza planet is stills restaurant however it is very part time. I go February and it's never open. It opens summer and closes early autumn I believe.
How much longer will it last though, I'm not sure.

stifle

Quote from: Disneylove on January 12, 2016, 07:42:15 AM
Quote from: stifle on January 09, 2016, 09:55:17 PM
Pizza Planet is now closed down.

It's been continuously closed since November and the restaurant opening schedules have it closed for as far forward as they go, and Envie de+ said it was being reimagined a while ago.

Draw what conclusions you will :)

NCC1701Q

We had lunch there in the week of Christmas 2015 so it has not been continuously closed since November last year. There even was a special Christmas-menu with more desserts.