Summer 2016 Closures. Still worth it?

Started by mrpiggywinkles52, October 20, 2015, 06:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrpiggywinkles52

Hello, So after a bit of a break from DLP I'm planning to go next year in August with my family, around August 7th-August 11th 2016.

However I am starting to wonder if it is really worth the trip, I'll be starting my A levels soon afterwards so another DLP holiday may not be an option for some time for me.

I had an idea of postponing the trip until that Christmas. I believe Big Thunder Mountain would be open by then. I think the only ride not finished refurbishment will be Space Mountain, which I don't mind missing, however I would miss Disney Dreams and potentially Magic on Parade.

Anyways onto the topic of the thread. I'm wondering if the trip will still be worth it. According to the websites I've found the following attractions will be closed during my visit:

Star Tours- I'm not hugely bothered, but I'm worried about that much scaffolding in Discoveryland.

Big Thunder Mountain and Thunder Mesa Riverboats - As much as I'll hate to miss BTM I can get over that, I'm worried about the huge amount of scaffolding in Frontierland, as I understand it the Rivers of the Far West will be entirely walled off. Which is a huge part of Frontierland, now this I can get over. I can deal with one land in the park not being quite ship shape.

Le Cabane Des Robinson and Adventure Isle - This is where I have a problem. Adventureland is my favourite land, I could deal with the attraction being closed, that isn't really a problem. But from what I've heard all of Adventure Isle will be walled off for refurbishment, from my understanding this means the Pirate galleon, Pirate's beach, Skull rock and just anything on that island. Now am I correct here? If so isn't Adventureland going to look awful/. I can deal with one land looking slightly off, I think Frontierland can live without the rivers, the other scenery is distracting enough, HOWEVER Adventure Isle is a huge amount of Adventureland and has my favourite spot (the beach) is all of that really going to be closed?

Adding onto that the fact that Peter Pan's Flight opens on the 1st of August after a refurbishment, knowing DLP that could well open late and I could miss it during my trip, Studio Tram Tour could also close early.

Simply but will Adventure Isle be closed entirely, do you think Tram Tour and Peter Pan will close on schedule and how bad will Adventureland look with the green fences up? Is it still worth it?

arvidbux

2016 will be the year of a lot of refurbishment in DLP, so yes. Rides will be closed, green fences will be up, but the park will still operate like nothing is happening. Whether that is worth it, that is up to you. Especially closure can be tricky and can change overnight without you even knowing it.

So is it worth spending $$$ for something that maybe will not live up to your expectation? Well I don't know how easy you can get to those $$$ and what the travel time is for you  :D

We got an AP regardless of the fact that there will be a lot of works in 2016. We enjoy all the little details and all the decorations and those will also be there with all the works. Plus as an added bonus; we can see the park come back to life again :)

littlebitofpixiedust

Think arvidbux answered that brilliantly  :)

We simply couldn't stay away for an entire year I'd miss it too much! And although there will be work going on as you've already seen and more a less know what'll be down your the only one to make that decision to wait or go ahead with a booking.

I think it's a very personal choice to make, but we don't just go for the rides we go for the whole experience and yes some things won't be on top form but the atmosphere is always good (or I feel it is no matter when we go)

Hope you can come to a decision and I'm sure your not the only one contemplating waiting for the refurbs ect to be completed  :D

Mileto

It's really a personal decision. In our case it's easier - we have no AP, we travel a lot to other places during the year. So - each visit do DLP is very, very special. We want it to be as perfect and functional (working) as possible. That's why we'll suffer, we'll sing the Disney blues, but we are not going in 2016 and 2017.
Next visit will be not earlier than summer 2018 onwards.

08.1993 - DL Tokyo; 05.2010 - DLP; 11.2010 - DLP; 09.2013 - DLP; 09.2014 - DLP; 11.2015 - DLP
It's a small world after all

RockNRoller

We always go the last week of November so I guess some of what's closed November 2016 will be made up for by Christmas. I am waiting to see what this year is like, with quite a few closures, although personally I think by August next year I will be wanting to book even with the closures. For me the park is more than a single land or a single ride it's the whole experience and I'm hoping that the experience will be enhanced with entertainment when the rides are closed.
Bottom line it's a personal choice and who knows with all the closures the parks may be emptier so you can enjoy what's open even more.
DLRP 2000,01,02,03,04x2,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,13, 14, 2015 (Booked)

"Pumba, not in front of the kids"

Mrsya

It is definitely a personal choice and as much as DLP is our family's happy place, we won't be visiting during 2016. We had planned a May 2017 trip but Pirates will still be shut so looks like summer 2017.

The disappointment from my (then) 6 and 3 year old would put a dampener on our holiday if we went when BTM, Pirates, Peter Pan, Star Tours and more were shut.

That's just our family's decision - as much as it guts us!

DisneyDad77

I've just started another thread regarding this, I am extremely disappointed that so much will be closed at once, I am not overly bothered that the rides are closed and more bothered that two large areas of the park (adventure isle and the lake area of frontierland) will have completely lost their "magic" due to the closures.  My wife and I are very upset about this.  I am kicking myself for not doing my homework better prior to booking.

rebecca20

Don't know how many of you have instagram and other social media sites but they seem to have upped the number of 'free roaming' characters hugely this past week (based on my observations from June and October visits). Not sure if this is something that is set to continue because of the closures but I sure hope it does.
♥ Disneyland Paris 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2015 ♥ Disney World Florida 2009 ♥ Disneyland California 2008 ♥

Next Visit: DLP March 2016.