Where to eat?

Started by Ohana, July 16, 2015, 02:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohana

So my OH and I are going to DLP in November, and I've been meticulously planning my meals since I booked it several months ago, a mixture of good organisation skills and being so excited that I need to do something while I wait for the months to pass!

However I've recently decided over €200 is a lot of money to spend on eating out alone, and so are probably just going to have two sit down meals, one buffet, and fill up the rest of the meal times with counter service restaurants. I've listed our initial choices below:

Annette's
Bistrot Chez Remy
Walt's
Cafe Mickey
King Ludwig's Castle
One buffet which is still undecided.
Planet Hollywood

I was just wondering, which of these restaurants are the best? I did fancy Remy for the decor, but the menu just looks so underwhelming and there's nothing I like on the menu. Are PH and Annette's just two of a kind? I do fancy shaking things up a bit!

Also, can we go into places such as Blue Lagoon, King Ludwig's, Cafe Fantasia, HNY, etc just to get drinks? Really fancy trying some of the cocktails on offer, especially a glowtini!

KAdvice would be greatly appreciated, fellow mouseketeers! :)
(•–•)

November 2015 -- Santa Fe
May 2016 - Santa Fe
November 2016 - Cheyenne
July 2017 - B&B Hotel

daddyof2

Restaurants are very much a divisive issue, not everyone likes the same food, décor, atmosphere, etc so it's quite hard to get 100% agreement. Planet Hollywood is probably the one I'd most say to cross off - not that it's bad, but it's not Disney themed and the food is similar (or even the same) as to what you can get in London. Annette's is recommended by many so is worth considering, though again is a diner theme and not necessarily Disney specific. Café Mickey has the benefit of character interaction (a big plus) but not everyone has had a great experience there over the last couple of years. Walt's is great, but not cheap - if you can afford it I'd recommend it.

Ohana

I've saved up quite a lot to convert to euros, so cost isn't a major issue, I just don't want to spend loads of money on eating. Price is definitely not an issue with Walt's, we really want to go so that can be our splurge. California Grill looks equally impressive but I think that is just pushing it a bit.

Will definitely cross PH off then, thanks. Annette's is obviously the winner!

Having breakfast at Mickey so not too eager to do character dining twice, just wanted to try the white chocolate mickey cupcake, I'm sure I can manage without haha!

Thankyou for the reply!
(•–•)

May 2016 - Santa Fe
November 2016 - Cheyenne
July 2017 - B&B Hotel

Disney Matt

I love Annettes (been on every trip i've ever had), been to Walts once but that was a few years ago, lovely setting & atmosphere :)
I noticed your list mentioned a buffet still to be picked so I would recommend Plaza Gardens but get there early to beat the rush as I think that puts some people off.

Hope I helped, even just a little bit lol  :D
Hotel Santa Fe - 95 / Dream Castle - Jul 07 / Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 09 / Hotel Santa Fe - Dec 12 / Sequoia Lodge - Dec 14 / Sequoia Lodge - Feb 16 / Newport Bay Club - Halloween 16 / Newport Bay Club - Feb 17

daddyof2

Mathierson makes a good point about beating the rush. If you particularly want to eat in a certain place at a certain time, book ahead. If you're slightly flexible, book at City Hall when you arrive but I'd definitely advise NOT turning up and hoping for the best.

MattR

I really can´t recommend Remy for the food, which simply wasn´t good, but I had the steak and I don´t think you can get a decent steak for the price they asked for.

Walt´s would probably be my favorite from your list above.

King Ludwig - never tried it but I am from Munich so there is no real point in going there

Planet Hollywood - been there looked and tasted like the other Planet Hollywoods I have been to.

My personal favorites if money isn´t the problem:
Inventions
California Grill
Manhattan Restaurant
Blue Lagoon
Walt´s

What I really can´t recommend in general are steak restaurants. They are simply to cheap taking into account that restaurants are usually rather expensive in france, theme park restaurants are even more expensive ... I tried most of the steaks offered in the park and village and never had a decent one.

Ohana

Thanks again guys!

See money isn't an issue as such, but I've started to think now, if I eat cheaper, and just allow myself the one big restaurant, then I'll have money left over for future trips, which I imagine I'll really want to go on after my first time :D

So we'll definitely go to Annette's on the first night because we'll be hungry from travelling and an early rise, but apart from one buffet, we'll just go to Walt's, which was the main one I wanted anyway.

Thinking about it we probably won't be as hungry as I'm planning for, not with all the excitement, for me eating kind of takes a back seat when I'm visiting somewhere really awesome (ie. When I went to the Harry Potter studio tour and didn't eat for like 8 hours!)

Really appreciate all the ideas though!
;0
And just again does anyone know if we can just pop into places for drinks? Really fancy a tipple at DLH and HNY's bars :)
(•–•)

May 2016 - Santa Fe
November 2016 - Cheyenne
July 2017 - B&B Hotel

MattR

Yes you can enter the hotel bars. The one in the NY Hotel is right next to the entrance the one in the DLH is on the 2nd floor.

DisneyRon

Quote from: Ohana on July 17, 2015, 10:44:10 PM

And just again does anyone know if we can just pop into places for drinks? Really fancy a tipple at DLH and HNY's bars :)

The Bar at the DLH (Bar Fantasia) is located directly across from the entrances to Inventions and California Grill, which is on the 2nd floor of the hotel (or 1st floor if you don't count the ground floor). ;)
On entering the lobby, head up the stairs and to your right, follow the corridor to the central hall that holds the bar and the two restaurants. :)

Ohana

Yay thankyou guys! We'll be needing something to do after park close at 7pm you see, I refuse to retire back to the hotel any earlier than 10pm on each night xD
(•–•)

May 2016 - Santa Fe
November 2016 - Cheyenne
July 2017 - B&B Hotel

LoopyLou

Book Walts during a parade. You get a great perspective of the parade and the added entertainment justifies the price paid. Nice cosy restaurant with lots of Disney memorabilia . A must do experience at DLP

Ohana

Quote from: LoopyLou on July 19, 2015, 11:15:22 PM
Book Walts during a parade. You get a great perspective of the parade and the added entertainment justifies the price paid. Nice cosy restaurant with lots of Disney memorabilia . A must do experience at DLP

Fab I definitely will. If I book and request a window seat will they be able to do this? And can I pick which themed room we eat in if we book?

Also do you happen to know what time parades are held in mid November? Thinking of booking before we get there to avoid disappointment!
(•–•)

May 2016 - Santa Fe
November 2016 - Cheyenne
July 2017 - B&B Hotel

LoopyLou

I don't think you're able to request a table or particular room at time of booking however I have been twice and both times was able to get exactly what we wanted as the restaurant is quiet at this time as most people are watching the parade outside !! Staff on the booking line are able to advise of parade times on any particular day I believe the parade is at 4pm. Hope you enjoy this option as much as we do x  ;D

Ohana

Ohh thanks, think I'll just book around that time then.. thinking of stuffing our faces at breakfast so we can bypass lunch and have an early dinner. Then there's always mcdonald's if we get hungry later hehe.

I'm also really looking into Blue Lagoon now, but not sure as it seems heavily fish based... the interior looks lovely though!
(•–•)

May 2016 - Santa Fe
November 2016 - Cheyenne
July 2017 - B&B Hotel