Advice needed - do we cancel? What options do we have?

Started by Askew80, June 28, 2015, 10:48:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Askew80

Hi all.

Just wondering if you could all help.  We are due to travel to euro disney (stopping in Davy crocket as got 2 adults 4 kids) on 17th August for 5 days 4 nights.  We paid to upgrade to premium dinning and had booked reservations for inventions, wild.West show, auberge and cafe Mickey.  We we all just starting to get excited.

My oldest son than unfortunately has been ranover by car last Wednesday night.He is very lucky and has only broken leg and now on a long road to recovery.  He is walk I no with the aid of a frame and wheelchair for any longer distances.  So far longest car journey has been 40 mind back from hospital

Now just undecided what to do about the holiday.  as we haven't taken out insurance (was going to book it when booked tunnel).

Do we go and hire a wheel.chair, but as he is 11 he won't be able to go on rides he was looking forward to and getting a bit old for characters.  Amy advance if we did? I know we can hire wheelchair but not sure about rooms etc and how they are laid out for wheelchair, walking with frame?

Would we be able to sell the holiday? Not sure how.much someone would pay? Or costs they would incur and if they would be able to keep the reservations?

Would disney allow us to rebook for different dates and if so how much are we likely to lose? 

In total.we paid 2k for the holiday with food.

Any other suggestions ?

Thanks.in advance?

msRavenswood

First of all, I'm sorry for your son, I hope he has a swift recovery! If I were you I'd call Disney and ask them how much of a difference would have to be paid for the holidays to be rebooked on a specific later date.

Mitchell

Jun 2004, Dec 2006, Mar 2015, Aug 2015, Oct 2015, Feb 2016, Mar 2016, April 2016, June 2016, August 2016, October 2016, January 2017, February 2017, March 2017, April 2017, June 2017, October 2017, December 2017

Next trip: June and July 2017

daddyof2

OK, just checked the Ts & Cs that I have a copy of. If you change your booking to a HIGHER value package, you pay the difference plus £50. If lower, you pay 35% of the difference plus £50. Not sure how that will actually work out for you - as it may well depend on when you can go instead. If I were you, crunch the numbers about an alternate holiday (as if the first one never existed) so you know the sort of costs BEFORE you speak to Disney. Hope that helps

Zee79

My daughter broke her collar bone 3 days before we went to Disney. We asked the doctor how this would affect her & he told her to have a good time. She wasn't allowed on any bone shakers ( the ones she loves haha) but as far as he was concerned she could still go & said he was leaving it up to Disney to decided what she could go on. She went on a lot of rides. I was more concerned when she was getting breakfast because some of the guests were horrendous, actually grabbing her & moving her out of the way to get to the food. We drove there & just kept her topped up with pain killers. You could always try to contact dlp & see what they suggest & what your doctor would suggest.

Komble

I am glad to hear your son is alright - what a terrifying time and I hope he has a smooth recovery!

Have you asked him how he feels or perhaps spoken to a doctor about recovery times?

I'm not sure if a doctors note is still 'sufficient evidence' but you may be able to get an easy access pass whilst your there to make everything easier for your family. It's worth speaking to Disney, explaining your situation and see what they suggests - you may need to request a bottom floor room with easy access if you stick with your booking - this is something you could discuss with Disney :)

Again, I wish your family all the best!

A&S&O

I don't know the circumstances of the accident (and its none of our business), but is there any car insurance that could be claimed on to get your money back?

Our house insurance policy has holiday cover (we found out about it and used it when we got stranded in Florida), so its worth checking if any insurance policies or bank accounts that you have include holiday cover.

Was it booked by credit / debit card that might provide some sort of cover?
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?

rocker

Good point that A&S&O made... If the other party is to blame for the accident, then their insurance should cover any costs incurred either for a refund or a re-book...

I had to move a trip when my daughter & I got sick & couldn't travel.  Even though it was at short notice, Disney were pretty good & allowed me to re-book & take the cost of the original booking off the more expensive re-booked trip.  You could do this & then claim the cost of the difference off the car insurance perhaps...

HildeKitten

I'm also sorry to hear about the accident and hope your son will make a speedy recovery.

My advise would also be to call DLP and see what they say.

Askew80

Thanks for advice, and thank you for kind words.  Son is.making a speedy recovery and been.very lucky. 

phoned disney and they have said can transfer to a different date and just lose the difference, due to my wife.working in a school we can only go in holidays.

Now to decide
A, go in August and son be in awheelchair and not be able on rides
rides

B tranfer to Halloween and pay 200 for the Halloween party

C go just before.Christmas and enjoy the.Xmas decorations.

What are people's thoughts of Xmas v Halloween??

Zee79

HildeKitten

It all depends on what _you_ like best really.
Go for the holiday you like best ^^

Mileto

Askew80, I am glad your son is recovering so fast.

Why not Christmas then? It will be magical!

08.1993 - DL Tokyo; 05.2010 - DLP; 11.2010 - DLP; 09.2013 - DLP; 09.2014 - DLP; 11.2015 - DLP
It's a small world after all

chrisvalentine

go for Christmas time, we have been quite a few times over Christmas for us its the best time oif the year to go, we are a family of 8, we are going this year dec 7-11 stayin HNY,hope this helps xx

twentythingamabobs

That is a toughie!! I'd discard August immediately (just purely my preference - have been in August a few times and it's always my least favourite time to go!) Halloween has a special place in my heart as I'm a theatrical and media MUA so Halloween is like my Christmas :) but we went for Christmas last year and it has pipped Halloween to the top spot! Amazing, magical, wonderful... there aren't enough lovely words to describe the atmosphere and decorations. So I would go for Christmas :)