Is pay as you dine much more expensive?

Started by slsmithy, July 09, 2015, 07:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slsmithy

We are booked on a B&B basis at the Sequoia Lodge with our coach holiday. We are wondering whether its just easier to pay each night (3 nights) for our evening meals rather than trying to upgrade to a hb meal plan. Is is much more expensive to pay as you go??? 2 adults and 2 children 7 & 8 yrs. Any info greatly appreciated, thanks.

bad-pink-tink

I have been to DLP twice and both times did not use dining plans, I did pay as you go. In my opinion the dining plans are really only best for families. Like you I had breakfast included at the hotels. I usually only eat one main meal in a day anyway.

I would fill up at breakfast, have a small lunch and then depending on what I felt like, a meal in the evening. I find that I usually only have 1 table service meal in my stay, usually at Blue Lagoon. There alot of places to eat for €10 to €15 approx which is what I budget for food. 
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

DisneyChris11

I think it depends on where you are planning to eat and if you want at least one big meal everyday.
We didn't bother getting a dining plan and glad we didn't as most of the time we didn't have time for or want a big meal.
We did similar to bad-pink-tink - filled up at breakfast, and then had a meal later on if you wanted.
To ensure you get value from your meal plan you need to go to a buffet or table service restaurant once a day really, and the plans can be good for budgeting if you a planning on doing this.

slsmithy

I was planning on booking Cafe Micky,  Remy and possibly Rainforest for one good meal each evening. We are happy taking snacks for lunches after filling up on brekkie!! I'd prefer not to have set menus so thought the choice might be better if paying on the night too.

DisneyRon

Quote from: slsmithy on July 09, 2015, 07:41:30 PM
We are booked on a B&B basis at the Sequoia Lodge with our coach holiday. We are wondering whether its just easier to pay each night (3 nights) for our evening meals rather than trying to upgrade to a hb meal plan. Is is much more expensive to pay as you go??? 2 adults and 2 children 7 & 8 yrs. Any info greatly appreciated, thanks.

The dining plan is primarily for convenience in my opinion, it's trickier than you'd think to come out on top in terms of cost compared to "pay as you go". :)

bad-pink-tink

Quote from: slsmithy on July 09, 2015, 08:16:20 PM
I was planning on booking Cafe Micky,  Remy and possibly Rainforest for one good meal each evening. We are happy taking snacks for lunches after filling up on brekkie!! I'd prefer not to have set menus so thought the choice might be better if paying on the night too.

that is basically what most of us who do pay as you go do. The dining plans have set menus in most restaurants but if you want something from the normal al a carte you can pay the difference, which to me defeats the purpose of having a dining voucher.

The dining plans are really pushed by Disney and travel agents, to encourage you to spend more in Disney. The restaurants in the Village like Rain Forest and Planet Hollywood are not part of the dining plan, neither is Starbucks or McDonalds or Earl of Sandwich.

Also with the dining plan , you pay in advance, which means Disney has your money before your trip so it is a guaranteed earner for them.
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

DisneyChris11

Without the meal plan you have more freedom to go wherever you like too, and I would say you are more likely to save money by going pay as you go.

LotsoHugginBear

I was planning on booking Cafe Micky,  Remy and possibly Rainforest for one good meal each evening.
It is not possible to use Disney meal plan vouchers at the Rainforest!
So if you want to eat there it would be better not to have this mel plan thing.

stifle

As noted above, Rainforest Café does not accept meal plans. Neither Bistrot Chez Rémy nor Café Mickey offer à la carte, only set menus (from which you can take either two or three courses). So your criteria are not well met :)

The meal plan vouchers tend to save a modest amount (€5-10 per person) as compared to buying the set menus and paying there. However, à la carte can be pricey.

daddyof2

Bad-pink-tink pretty much said it all, but here's my opinion anyway.
The vouchers give Disney your money up front, plus like all of these sort of things (vouchers, coupons, etc) there's a chance that you won't use them to their optimal value so they win a bit.
For the user, it means that they can maybe budget spending money more easily, but to "win" financially, you need to eat in the table service and buffet restaurants. If you're only ever going to use counter service, its probably not that worth it. Also, as stated some of the Village restaurants are excluded so if you intend to eat in Rainforest Café, King Ludwig's and Planet Hollywood, again its probably not worth it.
We didn't use them last June but have the HB plan for October.

HildeKitten

Also, and this is of course my personal opinion, because of the set menus and paying the difference etc, it seems a massive hassle if you are dealing with food allergies and such.
In that case it _may_ be a little pricier to do not have one, but at least it gives you total freedom to figure out where you can eat and just go there.

But yes, Disney will REALLY try to talk you into it, because as others have already mentioned, it's to their advantage that you take it, and I think that a lot people that would be better off without it end up falling for it and not using it to the fullest.

For a first trip especially I would just dine as you go, so you have a good idea of what you like restaurant wise, and the costs, and then you know whether or not it'll be worth it to go for a meal plan if you go again :)

slsmithy

Thank you for all your comments, i think i won't bother with any plans this time and just pay as we go. Its a hard enough decision just choosing which restaurants to book!

grovesie

Remember, King Ludwirgs will give you a 20% discount voucher to use in Rainforest and Rainforest will do the same for Ludwigs ;D