Selfie sticks

Started by stifle, June 14, 2015, 12:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stifle

There were about a dozen men selling selfie sticks and Eiffel Tower trinkets in front of the railway station on Sunday. They really are rather irritating.

danogian

Previous Visits:
Oct 2011 - Santa Fé - 3 nights
Oct 2012 - Cheyenne - 3 nights
Apr 2014 - Sequoia Lodge - 4 nights
Jun 2015 - Sequoia Lodge (GFC) - 4 nights

DLPWonders (Banned)

Quote from: danogian on June 26, 2015, 01:45:41 PM
This webpage suggests that the ban will eventually be total at all Disney parks.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2015/06/breaking-selfie-sticks-to-be-completely-banned-from-walt-disney-world-theme-parks-not-just-on-theme-park-attractions/

It's not just that blog, it's official.
From July 1st the ban will be in the entire DLP park. It will also be mentioned on the entertainment programme.
°o° DLP AP holder since '08 - DLP CM 2016  °o° Character catcher | Addicted to books, tea and old musicals | Unconditional love for John Hughes, Woody Allen, Tim Burton, Judy Garland and Helena Bonham Carter. | ''She's a flower child with a rock 'n roll attitude.''

stifle

No harm — if it's actually enforced...

HildeKitten

Agreed!
I'm totally for a total ban on them, I just fear it'll be like the ban on smoking: utterly unenforced.

msRavenswood

If they confiscate them before entering the park then I think it will be successful. Then they can have them back when they leave the parks for the day.

HildeKitten

That would work, but somehow I don't see DLP wanting to put in quite so much effort.
Likely they'll just tell people to return them to their room/car etc.
It would be practical if they had lockers or some such where people that arrived by public transport for the day could leave theirs in before they pass the bag check.

msRavenswood

Quote from: HildeKitten on June 26, 2015, 04:17:59 PM
That would work, but somehow I don't see DLP wanting to put in quite so much effort.
Likely they'll just tell people to return them to their room/car etc.
It would be practical if they had lockers or some such where people that arrived by public transport for the day could leave theirs in before they pass the bag check.

I've read that the sticks will be held at the Guest Relations office and be returned to their owner when they are ready to leave the park, so even for those who haven't travelled by car don't have to worry about lockers, they can leave them there.

HildeKitten

That's really good!

I'm glad to hear that DLP seems to do an actual effort to enforce the ban.

Discovery_Mountain

This is good news.  It's a little annoying seeing that quite a few of the news articles covering this are implying that Disney are wanting people to stop taking their own photos when the truth is that they almost had a serious accident at DCA and probably have had more near misses at other locations too which just proved to Disney that they can't enforce a partial ban its needs to be all or nothing.

A lot have reported on it properly though and it does seem like a lot of people are very in favour of the ban and it's only a few who have issues.

We will have to wait and see if the tabloids start publishing things like 'Holiday ruined when Disney took away my Selfie Stick' or 'I was forced to ask a strange to take our photo which left me with blah blah blah...'
My Disneyland Paris Trips:
1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 (1 Day Trips)

March 2012, 2 days at Kyriad Hotel
June 2013, 2 days at Dream Castle Hotel
December 2013, 6 days at Sequoia Lodge
December 2014, 6 days at The Disneyland Hotel
December 2015 6 Days at Sequoia Lodge GF

Planned Holidays:
February 2016 - 3 days at Sequoia Lodge GF
November 2016 - Walt Disney World  (Maybe)

Komble

As I have said before, it's only a matter of time before someone gets seriously injured with one of these! It's essentially just a metal pole and it could probably cause some serious damage if it was to hit a young child accidentally or bought out on a ride (I'd hate to think what would happen if it hit the scenery on a sharp turn...). I almost got hit with a selfie stick once so maybe I am just bitter!

If anyone approached me and asked me to take their picture I'd be happy to! In fact in the past when I've been asked I usually take multiple photos, making sure the angles are good and the people are happy before I move on - it takes about a minute and it's always appreciated (I wish others would do the same... I have a lovely photo of myself and my boyfriend outside the Notre Dame where half our heads are missing and it's blurry)

I hope it's enforced, although judging from past experiences with smokers I worry...

HildeKitten

People need to start remembering that before the selfie stick, people had to be asked to take a photo of a group _all_ the time!
It's no big deal, the vast majority of guests is more than happy to help other guests out in taking a photo.
I'm the same as Komble, if someone asks me I'll do my best to take a nice photo, and will take several just to make sure that there's at least one good one there :)

And you know, you can always check the photo someone took for you, and if it's fail, just ask someone else a little later (. When I go on J-fashion meet we are nearly always reliant on the kindness of strangers for group shots. Some shots turn out better than others because of this of course, but they are always appreciated regardless (even the ones we end up deleting) :)

I guess a lot of people are just so used to their selfie sticks and set in their way they are now protesting having to do things "old school".
To be honest I don't think many people would actually care about the tabloids, or let tabloid stories influence them from going to DLP. And if people do choose to stay away because of the ban, then they're probably just the kind of people that would be a nuisance to others and the parks are better off without their presence :)

But yeah, wait and see in how far it'll be enforced.

Puffin

I'm not opposed to selfie sticks, but only to the irresponsible use of it. I think it can be great fun to use a selfie stick to take pictures from a bird's eye view or another original angle in front of the castle for example. And that's possible without bothering anybody. It feels like a drastic measure to ban the thing completely just because some people can't handle them with care.
may 2012 hotel new york ● november 2013 sequoia lodge ● may 2014 tokyo disneysea ● december 2014 sequoia lodge ● may 2016 fort wilderness resort (WDW) ● september 2016 sequoia lodge ● november 2016 newport bay ● march 2017 sequoia lodge ● april 2017 tokyo disneysea  ● may 2017 newport bay ● september 2017 hotel cheyenne  ● november 2017 santa fé  ● december 2017 tokyo disneyland  ● january 2018 tokyo disneysea ● april 2018 hotel cheyenne ● july 2018 newport bay ● august 2019 hotel cheyenne

HildeKitten

Sadly some people are so irresponsible that they endanger others, and that forces Disney to take drastic actions.
It is regrettable that all those that use their selfie sticks without bothering anyone else are getting punished along the way, I will agree with that, but I think we can all agree that safety should take priority in Disney.
It's only selfie sticks they are banning, it's not like we can't take photos anymore :)

grovesie

I am back in the parks tomorrow and will report on the selfie stick ban...........