Absolutely enraged, son burnt by a cigarette

Started by Rincelex, May 30, 2015, 03:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rincelex

I am absolutely beyond annoyed. We have just returned from a 4 day trip to Disney Paris and on our last day we were walking down Main Street on our way out of the park and I turned round to see my son crying and when I asked him what happened he said that a man had burnt his hand with a cigarette I asked him who and he looked up and said he's gone, I said were you sure it was a cigarette and he said yes he felt a sting and when he looked down there was ash on his hand. About 3/4 minutes later he had a red mark and a small white blister thing there.

I went and complained in City Hall on the way out and they said that nobody should be walking around the park smoking and that there were dedicated areas for smoking so I enlightened her with the fact that we had seen lots of people walking around smoking and whilst we were queueing for the storybook boat ride a man was stopped walking over to get on the boat as he had a cigarette lit in his hand and was made to put it out, her only reply was that it is very hard to police this sort of thing, I felt like saying no its not just ban it like other countries have.

My sons hand is fine but I did wonder what if that had been a smaller child and it had been their face. The person is just very lucky that I did not see them do it or was there to see them after the fact.

frostie

I am gobsmacked that a country that has passed a law making supermarkets give edible out of date foods to homeless charities still allow smoking in a place that is jam packed full of children.
It is not difficult to police! There are plenty of staff around. Total ban on smoking. Anyone reluctant to leave the park for a cigarette will be ejected from the park! Simple. They seem to manage the ban on alcohol......

never2old

I'm so sorry for your son!

They should be a lot stricter in the parks with the smoking, it's very well to say it's only allowed in the dedicated areas but I've only seen them tell people if they were smoking in the rides   :o I understand it's very hard to control, but I do wish they'd find a way...

I used to smoke myself and was always careful never to smoke near children, and if I was in the street I was really paranoid about putting my hand down with a cigarette if there was a risk of anyone (and particularly a child) getting burnt (maybe because I've also been burnt like that myself). But its shocking to see how many smokers really don't care at all about who's around. I've already gotten into arguments with people in cafes when I asked them to move so that their smoke wouldn't go straight into my daughter's face - and their reply was we're outside and I'm allowed to smoke...

Anyway, I fully agree with you.

And glad your son's OK :)

Disney Matt

Its shocking!!
When me & my friend were there in Dec (she's a smoker) we could never find the designated areas for smokers. She didn't wanna smoke around children so we always stopped by a bin out of the way.
Not many others did this while we were there...that's all i'll say!

Hope your sons okay :)
Hotel Santa Fe - 95 / Dream Castle - Jul 07 / Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 09 / Hotel Santa Fe - Dec 12 / Sequoia Lodge - Dec 14 / Sequoia Lodge - Feb 16 / Newport Bay Club - Halloween 16 / Newport Bay Club - Feb 17

littlebitofpixiedust

I'm a smoker and I too would be outraged if my son was burnt! I do agree with the above post smoking areas hard to find. I think its so rude to light up in a que or in a crowd! People give all smokers a bad name, all it takes is some respect for others it's hardly difficult... I see a few people smoking In ques myself and waiting for dreams so rude. Its a persons choice to smoke and another's choice not too wound it be so hard to wait to have a cigarette in an appropriate spot? I've been smoking years and can control myself! Sorry about your son.

HildeKitten

I'm sorry to hear your son got burnt, lucky it's not worse.
The reply you got at City Hall is frankly appalling!
They can easily ban smoking, heck in their rules they HAVE banned smoking, stating you can only smoke at designated areas. I don't care that they're hard to find, they're there and people should do the effort, end of story.

To be honest I think that CMs don't speak up easily against smokers because they fear verbal abuse (or actual abuse if you see how some sadly behave) or flat out drama from smokers.
Obviously not all smokers are horrid, many are perfectly decent human beings, but some of them are so addicted to their little death sticks they MUST have their smoke, right then and there, and will flip out like a total enranged loon at anyone pointing out they can't smoke in that area. And that's probably exactly what CMs are avoiding.
It's still inexcuseable as it's their job, but I do understand it. I just definitely don't condone it.

I think you should file a complaint with DLP's customer service department. It's not likely something will come from it, but not saying anything definitely won't help the smoking ban getting enforced.

Mrsya

I told a man to move away when he lit up a cigarette outside Casey's Corner as he was sat on a wall next to my one year old. He did but then proceeded to tell all of his family what I'd done. If we spot it, why don't the cast members!?

It was very common this last trip, even in queues for rides and on Molly Brown...  :'(

A&S&O

Unfortunately, everyone knows (smokers and non smokers), that the smoking ban is not enforced at DLP.

Whether this is because cast members don't care, are oblivious to it or are too afraid to ask people to stop we don't know.

Maybe it could be brought up at some forum with management? Maybe management are afraid that enforcing it will keep visitors away?
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?

littlebitofpixiedust

I think they're afraid of telling people, but if you look at our uk theme parks (chessington for example) they always tell smokers to move to a smoking area and point out where they are. I must admit the areas at chessington are more obvious and easy to find.

But in saying that although many smokers including myself would and do use smoking areas within the parks many would still not listen. I still can't get over the man I see smoking in the platform as Molly brown was pulling in! Puffs of smoke covering all the people waiting its plain inconsiderate. No staff told him no.

Ive smoked for some time, I'm not proud of it it's a horrible habit. But I certainly can wait for a cigarette I don't need to light up in a que or during a parade or walk down mainstreet with one and I'd never throw on the floor either. It's a shame people can't respect DLP and the visitors. Staff should be able to say something, I guess maybe in the past they have and had abuse hurled at them... Anyone shouting abuse should be removed in my opinion. Rules are there for a reason afterall.

HildeKitten

I _absolutely_ agree with you!

It's like you say: you can wait for your cigarette, and I know plenty of other smokers that can too.
Sadly I also know plenty of smokers that can't and will have a shit fit at worst, or resort to annoying behind the back bitching about the person that made a remark at best.

If a smoker would lit up in an area where their smoking didn't actually bother anyone AND cleaned up their buds, I wouldn't even mind so much, there are plenty of quiet spots where someone could have a smoke without being a nuissance, but sadly plenty of people smoke in queues and what not.

I also completely agree that guests that get abusive should just plain and simple get thrown out.

DLP may fear that people won't come back if they don't get to smoke, but the park would be a much better place without the aggressive smokers. And by that I mean the people that smoke in queues, act like utter douchebags when asked not to smoke around people etc. Or people that smoke in hotel rooms, that happens too, and the next guests that stay there are suddenly faced with a room reeking of smoke! (if that happened to me I'd demand a different room).
I don't mean the smoker that has found a quiet spot somewhere and isn't bothering anyone. Sure they shouldn't be doing it either, but they're not an issue as bothersome as the others.

A friend of mine has pretty bad asthma, and whenever she's in DLP and she's forced to deal with second hand smoke, she addresses a CM. When they try to fob her off, she just point blank replies "there is a no smoking rule in the park, if you don't enforce it and I develop an asthma related illness because of the smoking, i will sue DLP".
Apparently EVERY single time it causes the CM to immediately address the smoker.
So basically, they will _only_ act when you go to extremes.
Which is utterly sad in my opinion, they should be doing their job without guests prompting them with threat of lawsuits.
Maybe we should all start doing that XD

Another solution is going in the low season, then there aren't enough people in the park to get bothered by smokers :) Well you may still, but chances are much lower. The only smokers I saw were people sitting out of the way on a bench where they weren't bothering anyone.

littlebitofpixiedust

You made some good points hildekitten about your friend with asthma ect, my son is disabled and I wouldn't dream of smoking in our home with him I go outside, same at hotels.

I don't think smoking is the only issue when considering it being a nicer place the staff don't stop que jumpers or people who shove their way to the front when your family has waited an hour plus for a spot for dreams. We've had other children literally hanging on the back of my sons wheelchair and climb on top of him before! Smoking in ques, que jumping ect all rude actions that DLP staff can't seem to manage its a shame. The amount of litter after dreams 2 weeks ago was diabolical, seriously I was utterly disgusted that people had thrown litter all round main street and central plaza! I even spoke to some cast members about it afterwards they too said it was the worst they've seen in a long time.

To sum it up guess what I'm saying is that I agree the smoking thing needs to be addressed. But it's not just the rude smokers spoiling DLP it's the lazy people throwing trash, que jumpers ect the staff should have more power to put a stop to this and yes it would be a brighter place for all visitors  :)

Nudge234

I'm dreading this problem :-( we go in august and my son has never been around any smokers and I do not smoke and I have a bad chesty cough if around smoke so I am dreading this :-( :-( :-(

Nudge234

And I hope your son is ok and it didn't spoil your fun too much :-(

morganno

Don't come to Belgium then their theme parks are full of teens drinking beer and smoking in the queues...

bad-pink-tink

THIS and the litter are the main reasons why I prefer to go to Disneyland California once a year instead of more trips to DLP. Honestly I think its a cultural issue. The UK, Ireland and USA are very similar in many cultural and social issues,which includes smoking. On mainland Europe attitudes towards smoking in particular and other smaller issues such as what is considered rudeness  /bad manners etc are very different to UK / Ireland /USA.

As PP have said in the UK themeparks the no smoking in non smoking areas is enforced more than at Disney. This is comes right from the top senior management enforcing the no smoking rules and making sure that the front line ride and attraction staff know that this rule should be enforced no matter what.

It is the senior management at Disney who are to blame for this continued rule breaking. Why should the ride and attraction CM's enforce the no smoking rule when each tier of senior management don't care???

Also in regards to the litter and general daily cleanlinesses of DLP. This again is down to senior management and cost cutting. In Disneyland California for example, there is a separate department just for emptying bins, keeping attraction queue lines litter free, sweeping the ground etc. Each CM has a set area / rides attractions which they must keep clean throughout the day.

In DLP it is the ride / attraction CMs who are responsible for keeping their areas clean, emptying the bins etc. Is it any wonder that litter builds ups as the CMs have to load / unload people, operate the ride / attraction AND empty the bins, sweep the ground and pick up litter??

So BOTH these problems are the fault of senior management and until changes are made by senior management, unfortunately the smoking and litter will continue
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016