How scary?!

Started by MulanRouge, April 09, 2015, 12:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MulanRouge

I have a confession  :-[

I am 42 years old, have been to DLP 5 times and have never been on BTM, Phantom Manor, Indiana Jones or Crush's Coaster because I am too much of a coward. I know  ::).  I was brave enough to go on POTC though!

So, my question is, how scary are these rides really?! I am trying to summon up the courage to go on them at the end of the month...

twentythingamabobs

Hi there :)

I was the same as you! I waited at the sidelines while my mam and the LO went on them all! The only reason I went on Crush's Coaster was because I had no idea what was awaiting me inside haha!

But now... I love them all!! Once you force yourself to go on BTM, you will be absolutely hooked! BTM is sooo much fun, it is fast but there are no big dips it is all just generally going downwards in a circle! You will love it, honestly. I have become a regular roller coaster addict now (we even went to Port Aventura so we could ride Shambhala which is the highest roller coaster in Europe  :o ) Give BTM a go, the theming is brilliant, you get amazing views from the top and it will make you want more more more  ;D

essexmum

I'm  a big wuss when it comes to rides and loved BTM and Indiana Jones.   I didn't do crushes coaster as the queues were just too long, Phantom manor was closed.  The worst one was Hollywood Tower ride in studio.  Never again!

That said I'm glad at tried at least once!

Queen Elsa

I took my 3 year 9 month old daughter on BTM!!!! She was only just big enough to ride and everyone was laughing at her looking so tiny and cute in her Snow White tutu! She describes it as "the big scary roller coaster" she loved the speed but didn't like the noises! She said she's never, ever going on it again!!! 😱

Because I didn't want to miss out I went on Indiana Jones and the Aerosmith Rock n roller by myself! Now that was scary!! Haha

seraphelle

I love BTM, and Phantom Manor is my favourite ride. But I don't like Crush's Coaster and my husband has said I would hate Indiana Jones so I've never attempted it (he knows me well). I don't think BTM is scary, some lovely little dips but not bad at all, Phantom Manor not scary at all, just enjoyably ghoulish. Crush I found moved too much for me, it wasn't enjoyable and made me nauseous. It depends on what your thresholds are. I wouldn't do Tower of Terror either, not for a million pound LOL
Disneyland Hotel ~ 3rd - 6th October 2013
Sequoia Lodge ~ 28th October - 1st November 2014
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 12th - 20th November 2015
Sequoia Lodge ~ 15th - 18th May 2016
Day trip ~ 1st August 2016
HiPark ~ 4th - 6th November 2016
Rive Gauche ~ 17th - 21st February 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 29th May - 3rd June 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 23rd - 27th October 2017
Rive Gauche ~ 27th - 30th October 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 14th - 19th March 2019

MulanRouge

Thanks everyone - I feel suitably reassured. I cannot be shown up by my ten year old son!

I will definitely try BTM and Phantom Manor. I'm still not sure about Crush - I don't mind spinning rides so much - it's upside-down I can't bear the thought of so Indiana Jones/RocknRoller Coaster/Space Mountain are out of the question.

And Tower of Terror? Never in a month of Sundays!

rocker

My little one (3.5 yo) is a thrill seeker & loves BTM.  Personally, I love Tower Of Terror & even though it has the same min ride height as BTM, I showed it to & explained it to my little lady & she decided it was not for her...fair enough, she's not even 4 after all.

With Tower Of Terror's surprisingly low minimum ride height what does surprise & bemuse me is when I see parents dragging their clearly reluctant/terrified small children onto that ride & seeing the tears stream down their poor little faces afterwards just because they cant be bothered to do a parent swap! ...Ridiculous...poor little kids.  ::)

My little lady has just reached the min height for Crush's Coaster & as she loves all coasters looking forward to taking her on that for the first time in a couple of weeks.  :)

stifle

Crush's Coaster is worse for me than most of the others simply because of the random spinning!

never2old

BTM is the most fun ride in the whole park, you have to try it. Just know that to get to the island it goes through a tunnel, at the very start, it's quite fast and totally darkl. It's not scary, but I've seen with friends that it helps them when they know its coming. It can also be a bit loud, but you'll find that the tacatacataca noise of the tracks is one of the best noises in the world  ;)

The Tower of Terror used to really scare me, I used to look at it and think never in a million years will I go up there. But I finally decided I had to see what the fuss was all about. When we went there was very little queue so I didn't have too much time to stress about it, and I was so busy admiring the perfect theming that I forgot to get scared. Honestly, there is no better theming in any ride in the parks. And then the ride itself, well it's different to anything else. I found myself laughing when I thought I would have been terrified. It's very exhilarating! You should definitely try it - and then get yourself a cool present from the TOT shop to remember it ;)

As for the other coasters, if you find that you totally fall in love with BTM and realise that coasters are not as bad as you feared (I used to be terrified of all coasters, I confess), you can try the others. Start with Indiana Jones. If you're OK with that one and the loop, go for RnRC. Yes, I know it's faster than Space Mountain, but it's a very smooth ride. And the worst is at the very beginning, when they launch you at full speed (I now totally love that bit, by the way). Space Mountain is beautiful inside (if you are able to keep your eyes open, I didn't for quite some time), but it can be a very rough ride, and I don't think they're changing that with the current refurb.

Personally I'm not a fan of Crush because of the spinning, and the queues are always so long that we never really bother with it.

Let us know how you do!!

TappyFish

Quote from: never2old on April 09, 2015, 05:39:29 PM
...but you'll find that the tacatacataca noise of the tracks is one of the best noises in the world  ;) ...

I totally agree! ;D

DisneyRon

Phantom Manor is more about the story than the scares, and in my opinion isn't scary at all. :)
No sudden drops, just a few lights and sounds, nothing to worry about I assure you.
The worst part of it is probably the start, when you're all packed into that small room to descend to the ride, if you don't like being packed with a lot of other people into a small space that's pretty unpleasant.
However the theming is wonderfully atmospheric and rather well done. :)

Mrsya

Quote from: TappyFish on April 09, 2015, 06:45:51 PM
Quote from: never2old on April 09, 2015, 05:39:29 PM
...but you'll find that the tacatacataca noise of the tracks is one of the best noises in the world  ;) ...

I totally agree! ;D

Me three!

MulanRouge

Ah, thanks everyone. Knowing what to expect is half the battle!

I promise I will try to be brave and report back  :)

disneynutter

BTM = fun
Crushes coaster = fun
Phantom manor = fun
Indiana Jones = fun
Tower of terror = really really really scary
Aerosmith = closed two years on the trot :(
RC racer = never went on this but will next visit (looks really scary

Cheyenne 2013
Cheyenne 2014
Disney hotel 2017 can't wait ;)

twentythingamabobs

Quote from: disneynutter on April 10, 2015, 01:14:45 AM
BTM = fun
Crushes coaster = fun
Phantom manor = fun
Indiana Jones = fun
Tower of terror = really really really scary
Aerosmith = closed two years on the trot :(
RC racer = never went on this but will next visit (looks really scary

I love RC Racer because it still scares me a little :) But it is really, really fun!