Sequoia lodge or Newport bay at Christmas??

Started by NICKYMOUSE, March 09, 2015, 11:08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NICKYMOUSE

We are planning on booking for 22nd November for 5 days but I can't decide between sequoia lodge and Newport bay. Has anyone stayed at both around Christmas? Which was best? Other factor is that the pool in sequoia lodge is scheduled to be closed in November so not sure if we should go for Newport bay for the pool. I have stayed in Cheyenne and Santa Fe previously and not having a pool has never been an issue but if we aren't getting the full enjoyment of sequoia would we be better off doing Newport bay and booking sequoia another time! Just can't decide!!!
Cheyenne - March 2014
Santa Fe - January 2015
Sequoia Lodge - November 2015

TappyFish

Quote from: NICKYMOUSE on March 09, 2015, 11:08:50 AM
We are planning on booking for 22nd November for 5 days but I can't decide between sequoia lodge and Newport bay. Has anyone stayed at both around Christmas? Which was best? Other factor is that the pool in sequoia lodge is scheduled to be closed in November so not sure if we should go for Newport bay for the pool. I have stayed in Cheyenne and Santa Fe previously and not having a pool has never been an issue but if we aren't getting the full enjoyment of sequoia would we be better off doing Newport bay and booking sequoia another time! Just can't decide!!!

My mum, brother and I have stayed in SL at Christmas and loved every minute of it. The decorations and atmosphere was perfect. Maybe it's the lodge theme and fireplace, but there was something that made it that much more special to us. We have also stayed at Newport Bay but not at xmas so I couldn't comment there. Given the choice between SL and Newport Bay, we would choose SL - Christmas is just an added bonus there ;)

When you say the pool at SL is scheduled to be closed in November... may I ask where you heard this? My fiancee and I are due to stay in SL in early November. We only chose SL over Cheyenne this year because we wanted the pool. I inquired initially about the pool being open and was told it was only shut in June 2015. Cheers :)

~TappyFish~

NICKYMOUSE

thanks for your reply...from pictures I have seen I think SL looks perfect for Christmas time,  and Newport bay looks fab for Spring/Summer.  It really is the pool issue that dividing me now.  The pool closure isn't declared on the booking site (it just mentions June) but it is listed on dlpguide.com / calendar / hotel refurbishments.  It says the pool, waterfall, slide, Jacuzzi, sauna and steamroom will be closed from 1st November 2015 until further notice. I have read about people not being informed of closures before booking and I think they were offered a pass to use another hotels pool.  Not sure if that's standard though or just a one off - maybe worth calling them?
Cheyenne - March 2014
Santa Fe - January 2015

Beltane

Having stayed at SL during the Christmas season on 2 occasions and the Newport in the summer, I'd say SL wins hands down for atmosphere. I probably wouldn't book the Newport again, as I wished I'd booked the SL as soon as we arrived.

Personal preference of course, but for me, the SL has something special that the Newport lacks.

TappyFish

Quote from: NICKYMOUSE on March 09, 2015, 11:48:34 AM
thanks for your reply...from pictures I have seen I think SL looks perfect for Christmas time,  and Newport bay looks fab for Spring/Summer.  It really is the pool issue that dividing me now.  The pool closure isn't declared on the booking site (it just mentions June) but it is listed on dlpguide.com / calendar / hotel refurbishments.  It says the pool, waterfall, slide, Jacuzzi, sauna and steamroom will be closed from 1st November 2015 until further notice. I have read about people not being informed of closures before booking and I think they were offered a pass to use another hotels pool.  Not sure if that's standard though or just a one off - maybe worth calling them?

There is indeed something that makes the SL that much more special at Christmas. The atmosphere, the theme the general vibe and happy faces. I suppose, for me personally, its like trying to put a feeling into words. It was... perfect! I wish I could find the pictures we took. Having seen many photos online of last year at SL, especially around Christmas time, I really want go again.

Regarding the pool, we're the same. I've done Disneyland quite a few times as a child with my family and this November will be the first time of going with my fiancee (her second time - first time was part of a school trip staying in a non-disney hotel). We were looking at Cheyenne as it saves us a lot of money, but she wanted a pool, hence we chose SL. If the pool is out for November, although the atmosphere is still great, we'd rather save the money and stay elsewhere. Its a difference of almost £300 after all.

Thank you for bringing that information to light. As you've said, there is nothing on Disneyland Paris' main site, nor anything mentioned when we inquired before a booking. While a pass to swim in another hotel is a nice gesture, I'd rather swim in the hotel I'm staying in. Especially in November.

Quote from: Beltane on March 09, 2015, 12:37:31 PM
Having stayed at SL during the Christmas season on 2 occasions and the Newport in the summer, I'd say SL wins hands down for atmosphere. I probably wouldn't book the Newport again, as I wished I'd booked the SL as soon as we arrived.

Personal preference of course, but for me, the SL has something special that the Newport lacks.

I'd have to agree with this. While there is nothing wrong with Newport Bay, it feels like there is something lacking. The lake views from there are phenomenal though ;)

NICKYMOUSE

Great - thank you!! Such a shame about the pool!!  :-\
Cheyenne - March 2014
Santa Fe - January 2015

TappyFish

***Update***
I can confirm that the Sequoia Lodge swimming pool and facilities are closed from November 1st until further notice. The Disneyland booking website is being updated with this information quote-"soon".

I guess in terms of swimming pools, that leaves Newport Bay or better for you and us. For us, we're probably going to skip out on the pool and take a room at Cheyenne. Newport, as mentioned, has that lacking feel for us, and is more pricey (by about £50). While I prefer SL's rooms over Cheyenne, an extra £300 is a lot, especially without the pool.

NICKYMOUSE

Aaaah, such a shame. I will have to have a think about what we are going to do.
Cheyenne - March 2014
Santa Fe - January 2015

sarahmumof4

We went for the SL bevause of the christmas feel to it .

Not stayed there before but it's been highly recommended .

Personally we wouldn't use the pool anyway so it's not an issue for us . Disney for us is being on the parks etc.
When we get back to the hotel it's time for bed .
If you did want a pool £300 is a lot of extra money to fork out when you can't even use it.
First visit - Santa Fe , March 2011

Adagio , Feb 2013

Santa Fe , Feb 2014

Fourth visit - Sequoia Lodge , Golden Forest rooms  December 2015 🎄

NICKYMOUSE

We have always managed fine without a pool when stayed at Santa Fe and Cheyenne and it's never been an issue. However, part of me thinks that for the extra money I want to use all of the facilities. I am still torn, I do think SL without the pool will still be amazing especially at Christmas time. Think I've just convinced myself to stick with SL..... Thanks everyone!!
Cheyenne - March 2014
Santa Fe - January 2015

TappyFish

Quote from: sarahmumof4 on March 09, 2015, 05:20:42 PM
We went for the SL bevause of the christmas feel to it .

Not stayed there before but it's been highly recommended .

Personally we wouldn't use the pool anyway so it's not an issue for us . Disney for us is being on the parks etc.
When we get back to the hotel it's time for bed .
If you did want a pool £300 is a lot of extra money to fork out when you can't even use it.

Yeah, the idea of "going to Disney for the park rather than to swim" is something I get and agree with. However on this trip, we decided to go for six days. It's not going to take us six days to do Disney (although we all know could) ;) We intend to spend at least one of those days just taking it easy, maybe not doing the parks at all and just enjoying the holiday as a break from life rather then a day at Disney - if that makes sense? That day would be when we would make use of the pool. Knowing now that the pool is shut, we have to decide if that £300 could be better spent.

As much as I like Cheyenne, I prefer the rooms of SL. Plus, at SL we wouldn't have the bunk beds. Despite the pool being out, I think we, like NICKYMOUSE are going to stick with SL. There is just something about that place :D