Christmas Day or not Christmas Day?

Started by sewpollyesther, October 18, 2014, 08:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sewpollyesther

We are planning to book a trip for us and our 3 girls (who will be 3 (close to 4) 3 weeks of 6 and 7 1/2 by then) but still negotiating the whole heart versus head debate as to whether we plan to be there on Christmas Day or save the extra money and either have an extra night, or a weekend away somewhere cheap later in the year...

Is it worth going on Christmas day? What are the benefits?

Or maybe we could go between Christmas and New Year... guessing it would be super busy all week then...

Anyway, interested to hear people's thoughts.

littlebitofpixiedust

I can imagine your dilemma here! Christmas day WOULD be amazing! I mean walking down main street Christmas morning? Wow!
But and here's the big but... Even though it would be totally magical would it be worth the extra cost? The extra ques and masses of people? I personally would be to afraid to try it myself. We visit Disneyland Paris regularly and done most seasons but I don't find it at all enjoyable when it's packed solid. My son gets agitated and it just wouldn't go down well at all.
Although I have never done Christmas day I know someone who has and she has said it was worth doing. But then in fairness she hasn't got children in tow and in that case I'd probably do it.

We are going 14th December for 3 nights it will be by then in full Christmas season swing and I'm sure magical as always. It's personal opinion, but you could save a fortune and still have a wonderful time if you went slightly earlier. My sons at school but as we're goin sun-weds he only requires 3 days of so I've put in the request. If they deny it I'll pay the fine still cheaper than going in the Xmas hols. Hope when ever you go you all have a fantastic time!

DLPWonders (Banned)

In my opinion.... no it's not worth it.
Christmas Day isn't any different from the rest of the Christmas season.
Except in the evening the restaurants up their prices with a ridiculous amount!
The most expensive one is Disneyland Hotel with a price up to 500€, per person!

It's also crazy busy. I've done it multiple times, even last year.
But I have the "bonus" (not really but it helps with the crowds) that my mum is in a wheelchair.
She has a priority card that makes it easy to avoid the crazy crowds.
Also I have two younger sisters, but they are 18 already. So we don't have to deal with little kids.
It really isn't more magical to spend Christmas Day there as it would to wake up on for example December 10th and overlooking all the Christmas decs at the park.

If that's your choice: Christmas Day or between Christmas and New Years...it really doesn't make any difference.
The last two weeks of December are the busiest two weeks of the entire year.
I would definitely advice to go either in November or the beginning of December.
Just as magical, but cheaper and less busy.
°o° DLP AP holder since '08 - DLP CM 2016  °o° Character catcher | Addicted to books, tea and old musicals | Unconditional love for John Hughes, Woody Allen, Tim Burton, Judy Garland and Helena Bonham Carter. | ''She's a flower child with a rock 'n roll attitude.''

sewpollyesther

DisneyMichelle

Hello!

I can remember visiting for Christmas day many years ago when I was a teenager with my parents.

As much as I am a huge fan of DLP - spending actual Christmas day there was strange. There wasnt anywhere to have real Christmas food, was queuing for rides all day and in general didnt have any special feel to it, well no different then any other day there in their Winter/Christmas period.

If it were me I would like to go a few nights right before christmas to get you in the sprit then return home maybe the 23rd and have Christmas at home with all the trimmings.

New Years Eve is quickly becoming a favourite of mine now also. Expensive but is the best place to celebrate NYE and NYDay for me.

I was once told to have a happy place in your mind for when times get hard. Disneyland Paris is my happy place. :)

ilovemainstxxx

hi there...
we spent christmas there a few years ago and to be fair didnt find it as busy as we thought it would be , busier on boxing day and christmas eve than christmas day itself...
as others have said though it was no different than any other christmas theme day, except we found more characters out  and at the night time on park closing , i really enjoyed it but if im honest i dont think i would do it again....
we had christmas set up for us when we returned home so had two really but it wasnt the same , if you know what i mean...
we love the christmas theme and we like to go end of nov begining of dec then get all exited and when we come home put the tree up and get ready for christmas with our memories of the holiday...
we went in june this year and i am so desperate to go back end of nov , but sadly know i carnt  :(

gemma2806

I love the DLP Christmas season and without a doubt it is my favourite time of year to visit. I love the idea of going for Christmas but the cost in itself is enough to put me off! You can see everything for the Christmas season anytime between November and December at a fraction of the price but with less crowds meaning you get more done in a day. If anything if you have small children I would say don't go for Christmas Day! They can see Santa anytime up till the 25th December because obviously Santa doesn't work after Christmas Eve as he needs a rest so he disappears from DLP from Christmas Day onwards! Kids love the rides but not the queues and again if you have hungry, tired kids you want to get to eat when you're hungry and not when a 45 min queue dictates!

My cousin took his wife and kids for Christmas Day a few years ago and they hated it! The kids were too cold, too unhappy having to battle the crowds and huge queues and none of them were happy to be unable to afford a proper sit down Christmas Dinner (my family all love the traditional Christmas dinner!)

At the end of the day it's your choice but smaller children will get much more from an earlier holiday during Christmas season than on Christmas Day itself. Oh and remember the evening fireworks and shows don't come on till park closing and for small children, after 10 or 11pm is too late to stay awake no matter how excellent the show is!  :D

sewpollyesther

Thankyou, I think you have all persuaded me against Christmas Day... now do decide first week of school holidays or between Christmas and New Year.

I think I'd like to go Boxing Day, then the tickets and stuff for the trip can be the girls Christmas presents... :) eek, hopefully can get the prices all together tomorrow once the brochures come out, does anyone know if they will come online tomorrow as well or will I have to call up?