Euro Disney S.C.A. (EDL) Shares

Started by shell_ely, March 27, 2007, 10:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Javey74

Quote from: "scrumpman"I was wondering the same as I am still waiting to buy :)
They shot up to 9.22 euros today mmm it seems to be creeping up I d like to know what is going on lol
Quote from: "MrsPirate"Same here, just waiting for the price to drop. If it doesn't I'll have to buy the minimum amount and pay the membership instead.
I don't think the price will drop greatly anytime soon. I got 20 New Shares in June 2009 for £3.37 per share and since then it hasn't dropped anywhere near. Now £7.88, which means I currently have a profit of £90.18 on my original £67.00 purchase, showing the share price up by 133.79%. I was after buying some more but it looks like I'll have to wait a good while for now..  :roll:

Look at the recent trends..  :|

Josh

I'm not really an expert on how the stock market works. Could someone explain what changes share prices? :)
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

MrsPirate

Quote from: "Javey74"
Quote from: "scrumpman"I was wondering the same as I am still waiting to buy :)
They shot up to 9.22 euros today mmm it seems to be creeping up I d like to know what is going on lol
Quote from: "MrsPirate"Same here, just waiting for the price to drop. If it doesn't I'll have to buy the minimum amount and pay the membership instead.
I don't think the price will drop greatly anytime soon. I got 20 New Shares in June 2009 for £3.37 per share and since then it hasn't dropped anywhere near. Now £7.88, which means I currently have a profit of £90.18 on my original £67.00 purchase, showing the share price up by 133.79%. I was after buying some more but it looks like I'll have to wait a good while for now..  :roll:

Look at the recent trends..  :|

Nice return for you. If I had bought them when I originally planned at around 4.49 I would probably have sold them anyway when they hit 10 Euros.

Ideally I don't want to pay any more than the high 6's but just don't think it will drop that low again. I would love to know what has caused this sharp increase as there is nothing obvious.

Off Site June 1992
Santa Fe, July 2009
Cheyenne, June 2010
Newport Bay Club Admirals Floor, July 2011
Sequoia Lodge, Christmas November 2011
Sequoia Lodge, June 2012
Hotel New York, Christmas November 2012
Hotel New York, Halloween 2013
Disneyland Hotel, Christmas 2014 and Christmas 2015
Newport Bay Club Compass Club, Christmas 2016 and Christmas 2018

Handy Andy

Interesting reading in today's Guardian.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011 ... provements
Magical Wishes
Andy

norhel

Quote from: "Handy Andy"Interesting reading in today's Guardian.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011 ... provements

Interesting reading...
4 trips to DLP, 3 to WDW, 1 to Disneyland California

dagobert

Thanks for the article. Indeed very interesting.

I'm curious how the cash increase turns out. I wouldn't expect any money from TWDC, because they are clearly not very interested in DLRP anymore. Their eye is on Shanghai, and HKDL and ED SCA are left alone and shouldn't count on license supplier.

DLRP will not draw in more visitors with these ugly photolocations in WDS. In 1995 it was SM that halped to make money for the first time and in 2008 it was TOT that contributed to the record attendance. History clearly shows that it needs something big like Ratatouille or at least an update like Star Tours II to bring more people to the resort. And of course more advertising in the huge German market.

cap'njack

That article to me seemed rather biased. It is a little concerning to hear of an investigation into the share price increase but hopefully that turns out to be nothing. Such a shame that our beautiful resort is suffering due to the massive amount of debt...but other than 'someone' paying off all the debt this will be a long term issue for the resort...made worse by the recent article...I even had a friend asking me today if they should book for June or did I think the place would go bust before then *sigh*

ed-uk

It's the same old story and it's been going on for 19 years, EuroDisney and debt. At the moment things are OK-ish, but it's been a lot worse in the past. I notice Disney aren't offering 40% off at the moment, so maybe things are picking up and more people are going, it's a good sign if Disney can put their prices up. I remember when DLP opened in 1992, some people thought it was going down the drain then, it lost so much money.
Ed & David

Javey74

If TWDC own 39.8% OF DLP, could they pull out totally and if so what would happen to the licensing of Disney Products around the park..  :|  

One other thing I've often wondered, and that is whose idea was it to build a park in Europe to begin with, since if it was Disney's surely they would have had a higher share rate in it, I suppose the founder members of Euro Disney S.C.A might give a clue..  :?

I know Disneyland Tokyo is in the same barrel as DLP, but I'm not sure what the share precentage is, unless someone can enlighten me.. :-k

Also Disneyland Hong Kong is a joint venture between the Walt Disney Company and the government of Hong Kong, again not sure about the share structure of this.. :-k

Disneyland Shanghai to open in 2010 is also a joint venture between the Walt Disney Company and the government of China, again I'm not sure about what the share structure of this one will be either.. :-k

Seems to me that the safest none withdrawl bets are to focus on Disneyland Anaheim and WDW which are soley owned by TWDC..  :roll:  Though buying shares here would encompass everything Disney owns which comes at present to around $41.00 per share..  :shock:

Can anyone tell me the current share prices of all the different operational parks. Just to see how they all compare.. :-k

dagobert

QuoteIf TWDC own 39.8% OF DLP, could they pull out totally and if so what would happen to the licensing of Disney Products around the park.

I think I read somewhere that Disney can't pull out totally without closing the resort. If they pull out and find a solution to keep the resort opened, then I can imagine it would be similar to TDR.

QuoteOne other thing I've often wondered, and that is whose idea was it to build a park in Europe to begin with, since if it was Disney's surely they would have had a higher share rate in it, I suppose the founder members of Euro Disney S.C.A might give a clue.

TWDC owned 49% of ED SCA until the financial agreement with Prince Alwaleed and the banks. TWDC sold 10% of the ED SCA share to Prince Alwaleed.

QuoteI know Disneyland Tokyo is in the same barrel as DLP, but I'm not sure what the share precentage is, unless someone can enlighten me.

Tokyo Disney Resort isn't owned by TWDC. Oriental Land Company owns and runs the resort and pays a licencing fee to TWDC. In return they provide the Imagineers. TWDC also gets 10% of the tickets and 5% of food and merchandise sold.

QuoteAlso Disneyland Hong Kong is a joint venture between the Walt Disney Company and the government of Hong Kong, again not sure about the share structure of this.

TWDC owns 43% and the government of Hong Kong owns 57%. Although that ownership structure changed a bit, because of the current investments in new attractions, but the government still owns the majority.

QuoteDisneyland Shanghai to open in 2010 is also a joint venture between the Walt Disney Company and the government of China, again I'm not sure about what the share structure of this one will be either

From the SHDL fact sheet:
The Walt Disney Company and Shanghai Shendi Group have joined together to invest in Shanghai Disney Resort. As part of the agreement, two new owner companies will be formed with Shanghai Shendi Group holding 57% of the shares and Disney holding the remaining 43% of shares.
As part of the agreement, a joint venture management company will be formed with Disney having a 70% stake and Shanghai Shendi Group having a 30% stake.

You can compare that with DLRP. TWDC holds 39.8% of the holding company ED SCA and has a 51% stake in the operation company Euro Disney Associes SCA.

QuoteCan anyone tell me the current share prices of all the different operational parks. Just to see how they all compare.. :-k

You can't purchase shares of other Disney parks, except DLRP. DL Anaheim and WDW are owned by TWDC, HKDL, SHDL aren't traded on stock exchanges. TDR is owned by OLC.

Javey74

Thanks for that detailed info dagobert..  :thumbs:

I read somewhere that buying Disney Company shares buys you just about a share into everything they own, but I didn't realised it did not encompass their own parks [Disneyland Anaheim and WDW]. I did realise that you cannot just buy park shares for these particular two parks on their own..  :o

I'm still puzzled why Disney would not want to own the the majority share on everything Disney related, that way they can do what they want with it. Selling off enough shares to drop into the non majority bracket would most likely hinder them on their plans if they wanted to push forward with something that the majority didn't..  :?

dagobert

Quote from: "Javey74"I read somewhere that buying Disney Company shares buys you just about a share into everything they own, but I didn't realised it did not encompass their own parks [Disneyland Anaheim and WDW]. I did realise that you cannot just buy park shares for these particular two parks on their own..  :o

I'm still puzzled why Disney would not want to own the the majority share on everything Disney related, that way they can do what they want with it. Selling off enough shares to drop into the non majority bracket would most likely hinder them on their plans if they wanted to push forward with something that the majority didn't..  :?

I'm not sure on that, but I think the reason why TWDC doesn't own the majority of ED SCA, is because the French Government provided the land and I think I read somewhere that at that time is wan't allowed by French law for international companies to own more than 50% of a company in France. TWDC doesn't have to fund the resorts on their own. But TWDC has a 51% legal share in DLRP, which means that Disney still has the last word although the banks are heavily involved due to the debts.
It's really time that ED SCA eliminates the debt so that the banks doesn't have to approve every new attraction. Disney isn't in charge in their own company.

nathandgina

Hi,

I purchased 20 shares last year.  I did this through Halifax share dealings.  All in 20 shares last yr, cost me £84, however I believe the share value has doubled since then.  My advice would be to contact Halifax share dealing, info available online.
If you get a minimum of 20, you do not have to pay any admin fees or renewal fees!!!
Then you get all of the little extras, like using Salon Mickey for a coffee and a snack between 9-12am, discounts in boutiques and invitations to special events!!!  It's great!!

Nathan :lol:

Adam

It would be great to have a page on here/DLRP Magic to set out all of the benefits of becoming a shareholder and the costs involved. I would expect a lot of members would become shareholders if the benefits outweigh the costs, which they may well do for a lot of people.

I have considered it myself, but it is a rather complicated area with the need to reach a certain number of shares to become a member of the Shareholder's Club etc.

captain rocket

All the information you need is on the DLRP website! Basically if you hold between 5 and 20 shares you can join the Shareholders club for a fee of 30 euros for two years, if you hold 21+ shares there is no fee to pay. I would'nt be without my membership! the use of Salon Mickey alone is worth buying the shares.