New Years Eve 2014/15 Help

Started by Gemmawebb, October 13, 2014, 10:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gemmawebb

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum & in full planning mode for our 1st trip to Disneyland Paris over New Year. We are going with my daughter who will be 16 months (although is very small as was 17 weeks premature). We want to maximise seeing characters/parades etc.

1. We are intending to book somewhere to eat in Disney, but not sure what time is best so we dont miss any of the parades etc. Was thinking early evening to avoid massive crowds (I know it will be massive) or eating slightly later after the evening parade (is this about 6pm?) so we can warm up ready for the rest of the evenings events.

2. Does stuff still happen in the parks in the lead up to New Year fireworks at midnight? Are the rides etc open?

3. I've read about the Princess Pavillion - is this a walk in attraction to see the Princesses or do you book in advance?

I think thats all for now - I'm trying to plan while my daughter is playing & busy so trying to be super speedy! :-)

DLPWonders (Banned)

1. Usually before the standard dinner time (18:00-19:00) or afterwards.
There is no evening parade this Christmas season, the normally daily Disney Magic On Parade will be cancelled.
There will be the Christmas Cavalcade (which is just a 5 minute small parade) that will run about 5 times during the day.
Also there will be the Princess Promenade (which is also just a 5 minute small parade) which will run once at the beginning of the day.
There are no meets with any of the characters available after these mini-parades.
In the evening there is the Castle Lighting Ceremony, the Tree Lighting Ceremony and Disney Dreams of Christmas.

2. In the main Disneyland Park the answer unfortunately is no. A couple of years ago there was always a big outside disco.
With a DJ and some characters, this started at 22:00 and ran until 23:50. Usually in between also the Fantillusion Parade. Then at midnight there was the countdown with a big fireworks display. And afterwards again the disco until about 01:30.

However, starting NYE 2012-2013 they completely changed it. No nighttime parade, no disco, no nothing. Not even an actual fireworks display. Just and extra showing of Disney Dreams at midnight. They started focussing more on the extremely expensive NYE dinners at the hotels, which (even with this ridiculous price) still turned out to be really popular. There is some small entertainment at Disney Village and a so called "Video Dance Party" at the Walt Disney Studios Park (a small stage in front of the Rock 'n Roller Coaster with a screen where they play MTV videoclips, and on stage there are some dancers just dancing along with the videos. The crowd can dance along with if they want, that's it). But that is basically it.

To be honest, I've experienced NYE for many years in a row, and last year was my last in a while. I'm not doing it anymore until something changes. The Video Dance Party is just a mess, the entertainment in Village is barely nothing and in the Disneyland Park they don't even do anything anymore! To me, it's not worth it any longer.

Yes, the rides are open. But do expect EXTREME queues. And when I say extreme I do mean extreme. Queues up until about 4 hours are pretty normal for a night like that.

3. Yes, the Princess Pavillion is a walk in attraction, sort of. You have to get a reservation ticket at the Old Mill, this is completely free and can be purchased at the beginning of each day. On that ticket there are two times, and a half hour limit between them. So for example 11:00 and 11:30. This means that within that half hour you can go into the actual Princess Pavillion queue. Honestly, I reckon the queues for both the ticket and the actual entering of the Pavillion are going to be massive. Normally you queue up, and at the very well end of it you find out which Princess you get to meet. There are always two princesses, and at the end of the queue the Cast Member either tells you to go left or to go right and then you're with the Princess. This cannot be requested, you can't give your preference. However this Christmas season all the princesses are being axed from the Pavillion. You can't meet them, they will only appear in the Princess Promenade. The reason for this is that Anna and Elsa from Frozen will be taking their spots. Those two will be the only onces at the Pavillion this entire Christmas Season. And since their popularity is pretty much absolutely crazy, I reckon the queues are going to be absolutely massive. Especially during the most busy two weeks of the entire year. There's also going to be Merida, she will be meeting at Casey's Corner but again, same story. Expect massive queues.
°o° DLP AP holder since '08 - DLP CM 2016  °o° Character catcher | Addicted to books, tea and old musicals | Unconditional love for John Hughes, Woody Allen, Tim Burton, Judy Garland and Helena Bonham Carter. | ''She's a flower child with a rock 'n roll attitude.''

Gemmawebb

Thank you for your reply.

So basically there isnt anything to do in the run up- so is it best to hop over to the Disney Village & back over to the main park for fireworks? As I have never been I am not entirely sure how far the Disney Village is away from the main park. I want to book somewhere to eat so maybe we wont be restricted to the main park.
I have to say I feel disappointed that there isnt much to do 'after dinner,' I guess shopping with the crowds will be it?

Any further tips would be great as I am a newbie to this & will have my daughter to keep warm/entertained (and awake!)

polar vixen

Disney is brilliant at any time of year, whilst there may not be allot of extras on Nye, there'll still be plenty to enjoy, and there are other scheduled meet n greets, you may be able to find out what sort of things to expect if you can track downa programme from last year, I'm sure there'll be previous ones available somewhere on the web.  Otherwise keep checking the links at the top of this page, they tend to release info early.  I've found this year the info regarding Halloween only cam out as the season actually started, so you may just have to be patient for now, ( we go 23rd November, I'm having to be patient too!)

Gemmawebb

So with these things: Castle Lighting Ceremony, the Tree Lighting Ceremony and Disney Dreams of Christmas - what times do these usually happen? I'm guessing Castle lighting & Tree lighting must be when it gets dark - I think I saw the Tree lighting on a program from last year about 5pm.

What is Disney Dreams of Christmas?

Thanks x