Meal Plan - To Book or Not To Book

Started by TWMum_Tinkerhel, August 11, 2015, 03:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TWMum_Tinkerhel

Hi there, myself, my husband and 2 kids are booked for Davy Crocketts ranch next May/June.  This will be our third visit to DLP but we've never had a meal plan before.  The kids will be 18 and 16 next year so in reality we will be feeding 4 adults, does anyone recommend booking a meal plan.  Any advice/recommendations welcome.

Thanks very much  :)
DLP June 2011
WDW December 2005
DLP June 2004

Mileto

Do you plan vising special places - for example BBWWS, Inventions, Plaza Gardens, Auberge der Cendrillion, Walt's...?

Actually meal vouchers give you a little discount for the places where they are supposed to be used.

For example - if you have half board standard, plan to have 3 nights and want to eat in Plaza Gardens, La Cantina and Restaurant des Stars, then it is worth. But if only go to counter service places you won't be able to use the money you already paid.
Example - Menu at table restaurant Lucky Nugget - EUR18-19, Buffet at Plaza Gardens - EUR 29
HB Voucher Standard - EUR 27

If you want to be more flexible, you can try without the vouchers. It is a matter of calculation.
But I won't refuse vouchers if they are a part of an offer for the whole stay.

08.1993 - DL Tokyo; 05.2010 - DLP; 11.2010 - DLP; 09.2013 - DLP; 09.2014 - DLP; 11.2015 - DLP
It's a small world after all

AlmostThere...

Hi we went to Davy Crockett for 4 night 5 days in October half term last year.  We didn't do vouchers - we just wanted to be flexible.  It worked really well for us as we could make it fit with what we were doing each day.  First night we had silver spur booked as I wanted something booked in for the first day, next night we just had a counter service restaurant as we were so busy doing rides, the 3rd night we knew we were going to stay for Dreams so wanted a big meal into the evening so booked plaza gardens the same morning and took our time.  The last night we cooked pasta at the cabin and used the money we saved to buy wine to take home (we drove)!

Oh, and we had at character breakfast at mickeys which the kids decided they wanted to did a few days before we left!!

Our kids are 5 and 7, and we plan to do the same (ie no vouchers) next October trip too.

Hope that helps x
First trip October 2012 - Marriott resort and 1 day DLP trip
Second trip October 2014 - 5 days Davy Crockett
Third trip to DLP.... On hold until after WDW in August 2017!!

cazdow

Hi when stay at dcr what did you do for breakfast? We haven't got a meal plan.

bad-pink-tink

Are you a person who would eat a full sit down meal, either table service or counter service twice a day, each day of your visit? 

For me, I have one meal in the day, usually in the evening. I fill up at breakfast snack during the day and may or may not have a big meal in the evening. For me the dining plan is a waste of money, as I would never use all the vouchers.

Also I like to be flexible with where and what I eat. The meal vouchers are not accepted in places like RainForest Cafe as they are not Disney restaurants.

In the restaurants where the meal vouchers are accepted, they usually have a separate menu than the main pay as you go full menu. You can order from the regular menu but you have to pay extra.

Disney really push the meal plans as it is a guaranteed source of income for them. You pay the money before your trip, so Disney don't really care if you use the vouchers or not, they already have your money. It is a way for Disney to deter people from eating in non Disney owned restaurants as they naturally loose money when people chose to eat in  in Disney Village  Many people dont end up using all their vouchers. 
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

AlmostThere...

Hi we were booked in to arrive on a Sunday and knowing that all shops would be shut then we got the euro tunnel and drove on the Saturday, did a shop in a supermarket and stayed about 45 mins from DLP, using a cool box (and UHT milk) and then arrived at davy crockett about 8am the next day got our tickets and had a full day in the park. We just didn't buy anything that would spoil.

There is a supermarket nearby in the big shopping complex.  Basically, I would advise taking breakfast stuff as I think the takeaway option on davy is overpriced and people always looked miserable picking it up! One tip- there is no toaster in the cabin.  We ignored this fact and it's actually quite limiting, so we are taking a toaster next year. The good thing about driving!
First trip October 2012 - Marriott resort and 1 day DLP trip
Second trip October 2014 - 5 days Davy Crockett
Third trip to DLP.... On hold until after WDW in August 2017!!

McSuze

Hi  :)

I'm going to buck the trend here & say that I really like the dining plans & have paid for plus dining on our upcoming trip.

I know that we want to eat in restaurants with a plus category menu, plus I booked on the French site, so have paid for it in euros, with the great rates we've been enjoying it worked out to be great value.

For example, Café Mickey is €41.99 for the set menu with no drink, I've paid €34, plus I get a drink and the pause gourmand - another €7ish value. At DCR you would also get breakfast included, I know that wouldn't be a factor at the other hotels.

I've booked Silver Spur, Blue Lagoon, Bistro Chez Remy & Café Mickey
:-)

Queen Elsa

I agree wit Mcsuze! I think the dining plans are excellent value. We had them last September and we will have them again in December when we go. Love the fact that you don't have to worry about what it's going to cost while you are there and the pause gourmande is lovely to have while waiting for the parade. We will book our restaurants as we are going 18-22 December so it's going to be busy.mso far we have decided on cafe Mickey, Bistrot Chez Remy, Auberge de Cedrillon and possibly the blue lagoon. We love Annette's for lunch x