Weekends busier than weekdays?

Started by Simp, June 23, 2014, 03:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simp

Hi

We are thinking of going mid August and the flights are working out much cheaper if we go Thursday to Monday.

My concern is that the parks will be much busier over the weekends, am I right to be concerned?

Thanks

claire2281

In my experience yes it will most certainly be busier. More day trippers and people on weekend breaks. Tuesday-Thursday have always been the quietest days during our summer hols visits (relatively of course - it's still busy).
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

Mileto

Middle of August is busy - children are still in vacation. And weekends it's busier as always compared to weekdays.

08.1993 - DL Tokyo; 05.2010 - DLP; 11.2010 - DLP; 09.2013 - DLP; 09.2014 - DLP; 11.2015 - DLP
It's a small world after all

daddyof2

Depending on where you'll be staying, you should be able to take advantage of EMH, and the parks start to get quieter after the evening parade (1800) because some day trippers will go home then. Do the popular rides late and early, use the middle of the day when its hottest to have a really nice lunch and shopping and infill with rides that have shorter queue times. Also, do the cheaper flights make a better hotel an option?

Simp

Thanks for your responses, some good advice.

We are planning to stay at the Newport Bay as we've stayed there before and the kids loved it, as did we.

Not really thinking of moving up to a better hotel as the price jump doesn't really justify it.

On another note. we've been told that the swimming pool will be closed when we go, could the kids use the pools in other hotels?

Queen Elsa

We should have been staying at the Newport Bay Hotel in mid September when we go, we spent ages choosing the hotel to discover after we had booked that loads of the hotel is closed! Because we had already booked we were told that we would be able to use pools in other hotels but I'm not sure if this would apply to new bookings? We decided to rebook to the New York as it's not just the pool that's closed, it's also the children's play area and the restraints. They are using their convention centre as makeshift restaurants! Hardly worth the money they are charging x

LotsoHugginBear

I have been told from the reservation hotline that for a new booking it won't be possibel to youse other pools. This option is online offered to guest which have booked some time ago.

DLRP Roundup!

Disney will let you use other pools if you complain when you arrive ;)

That said, you may find the pool open by then, we're expecting end of August for it to open.

It's also worth noting, only breakfast is in the convention centre which is done very tastefully and won't degrade from the experience.

If you have lunch and dinner booked, you can use any of the other hotel restaurants regardless.

Theres no real issue booking there :)
The Roundup
News | Forum | Gallery | Waits | Crowd Forecasts

Andybear

Quote from: Trekkie101 on June 27, 2014, 12:43:08 AM

That said, you may find the pool open by then, we're expecting end of August for it to open.

It's also worth noting, only breakfast is in the convention centre which is done very tastefully and won't degrade from the experience.

If you have lunch and dinner booked, you can use any of the other hotel restaurants regardless.

This is what it says in the DLP website description of Newport Bay: 

Due to renovations, the following services will not be available until end of October 2014 : swimming pool, wellness center, sauna, steam room". 

So it sounds unlikely that the pool will be open by the end of August.

daddyof2

What's to prevent you from using another hotel pool? I don't think we had to show any proof that we were staying in HNY when we used the pool. Just wing it, and say you were told you could If challenged

DLRP Roundup!

Quote from: Andybear on June 27, 2014, 02:35:31 AM
Quote from: Trekkie101 on June 27, 2014, 12:43:08 AM

This is what it says in the DLP website description of Newport Bay: 

Due to renovations, the following services will not be available until end of October 2014 : swimming pool, wellness center, sauna, steam room". 

So it sounds unlikely that the pool will be open by the end of August.

That's why I said may ;)

Although, it's well underway and from what I've seen of the pool - nearing completion. I believe they extended the notification online incase it slipped, however it appears to be ahead of schedule.
The Roundup

DLRP Roundup!

The Roundup

once.upon.a.dream

We have booked Newport Bay for December, so I really hope the pools etc are open by then and its not delayed!!

We have found weekends to be slightly busier, but we still end up booking weekends every time we go due to convenience and price and its never been a problem.

We have been tues-thurs in middle of jan and it felt like we had the whole park to ourselves at some points in the day! A bit cold though and the parks closed early so we find there is a plus and minus to going all times of year :)
DLP offsite July 2009, DLP Santa Fe Jan 2010, DLP Santa Fe March 2011, WDW All Stars Movies Sept 2011, DLP Santa Fe Sept 2012, DLP Santa Fe April 2013, DLP Newport Bay Dec 2014

Next trip - DLP Disneyland Hotel December 2015