Advice on December trip 14th-17th

Started by littlebitofpixiedust, April 26, 2014, 03:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

littlebitofpixiedust

Hi all like many of us here I am a reguar visitor to DLP but usually visit march/sept-oct and only once have visited in December wich was a very long time ago.

Any tips much appreciated! We're already going in sept but booked a 3night stay for proce of 2 as my son had a terrible Xmas last year and spent it in hospital so really want him to have a blast this year! He is non-verbal (has special needs) so its really important to me to show him Christmas let him soak up the atmosphere ect and I don't want to miss anything!

Also if you've gone on or around this time how busy? It's before uk school hols and he does get a disability pass and were more interested as I say in shows/parades meeting Santa and generally being involved in anything Christmassy they have going on.

DLRP Roundup!

You're in for a fantastic time. Won't be huge crowds either - we're showing low season for all but the 14th.

DLP haven't announced this years program of events yet, however Meet Santa will likely be in the Cottonwood Creek Ranch area.

Theres likely to be a cavalcade that comes round at least three times a day.

At night it'll snow on Main Street. The castle will light up. It may or may not be Winter Dreams again but I'd strongly bet on it due to the continued success of Frozen. The hotels will be in the Christmas atmosphere. The village will have festive booths with different treats. The ice rink will be open.

Fabulous time in DLP, truly is.
The Roundup
News | Forum | Gallery | Waits | Crowd Forecasts

littlebitofpixiedust

Thanks Trekkie!! I'm even more exited now you've wrote that it sounds like its going to be amazing :)
Just gotta be prepared for the weather and all should be fine!

And great that crowd levels should be low that's a bonus it was a hard decision wether to wait until the school hols but I know my son would hate there being so many people around.

We're staying at the Cheyenne wish we could have afforded the DLH again or new York but we've already been in march and staying HNY sept so had to be a little careful with cash. But I'm sure it'll be fine I just can't believe we're going to see Christmas season.

And I hope they keep dreams as I've heard the last winter one was wonderful. But who knows?

A&S&O

It may sound obvious, but it will be cold! The number of people we hear complaining of how cold it is - what do they expect when they're spending a day outside in December!

Make sure you pack plenty of warm layers and shoes / boots and you should be ok. As long as it doesn't rain.
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?

littlebitofpixiedust

Thanks I know. Everyone keeps saying to me I'm crazy and I'll freeze but I'm planning on lots of layers thermal socks the lot and of course a hot chocolate every few hours :)

LotsoHugginBear

I guess the day you arrive will be very crowded, it's a sunday and in 2013 all weekends in december were awfully crowded.
If you like to visit Santa you have to be patient since there are long waiting times during the whole season. I have been there in November last year and even on a tuesday ist was nearly 2 hours waiting.

never2old

We went in November last year and gave up on meeting Santa, queues seemed very long all day long (we were also there during the week outside of the holidays). May try again this year though...

Christmas is really wonderful, and if they do it like last year or even improve on it, it will be magical. The Christmas cavalcade was excellent, lot of energy, lots of colours, and very christmassy!! Try to see it at least once in Main Street, it snows!!!

The tree and castle lightning in the evening were beautiful. And I'm sure Dreams of Christmas will be back, I can't wait to see Let it Go again  :D

Yes it's cold, but that's something you can really plan for. Layers are the key! Temperatures can really change a lot during the day, very cold and humid in the morning, better during the day (if the sun comes out it's gorgeous), then cold again when it gets dark. Plus going in and out of the rides. So yes, layers you can easily take off when needed. And very very warm socks and shoes!! I've sometimes also wore thermal leggings under my trousers (like the ones they sell for winter sports), those were a great buy!

I'm sure you'll have a great time!!

BoristheSpider

Hopefully Jack Skellington will have his Sandy Claws outfit on again :-)