Spending Money

Started by Livvipivvi, April 28, 2014, 07:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Livvipivvi

Hi all,

I'm just looking at ordering one of those euro cash cards with FairFX and euros for our holiday in 3 1/2 weeks  ;D ;D .

We are going for 4 nights, 5 days and I've budgeted to take £1000 british, we've never been before and I've heard that its expensive, so I hope it's enough?  We have already booked and paid for Buffalo Bills and the half board plus meal vouchers, so although we will have to top up once or twice as we want to eat in inventions, I'm thinking that most of our food is covered.

The plan is to get some cash in euros, put some on the euro card and keep some in our bank account to transfer over onto the euro card as and if we need it.  I'm really struggling to decide on how much cash to take? I've read that most places take card, but there are lots of stalls which only take cash.  I can imagine that you can fly through money in the parks, so want to make sure that we take enough.  I'm not sure how much to put on the card either, but as I know that I can transfer onto it while we are there, I'm not so worried about it.

How much do you all usually take in cash?  Could someone tell us how much the ride photos are please and how often people find themselves buying off the stalls?  I've been fussing over this for a month or so now and have fried my brain lol.

TIA  :D

Has Disney blues after our first visit 25/05/14-29/05/14 (Hotel New York). Going back 19/12/14, flights and DLH booked! Yepppyyy!!!!

orangarnold

If you're only really paying for drinks and gifts you have double what I would budget for

Livvipivvi

Quote from: orangarnold on April 28, 2014, 07:40:06 PM
If you're only really paying for drinks and gifts you have double what I would budget for

Hiya, Thanks for your reply.  I'm planning on allowing my 2 DDs  some spending money maybe 100 euro each and if its available I also fancy the princess for the day treat for my 6 year old, which I think is about 150 euro.  Other than that it'll be a few drinks (although I'm planning on buying a bottle of water each in the mornings and filling up at fountains), possibly snacks and a few gifts, ride photos and souvenirs.

I would like to come home with some money left, but I've heard so many people saying that it's really expensive I thought I'd take extra and at least it's there if we need it, rather than be stressing every day about money.  I'm always worrying about stuff at home and as we've never been before and don't get to go away often I thought it would be a nice change lol.

Have you every bought any photos or magnets at the rides?  How much are they usually?

Has Disney blues after our first visit 25/05/14-29/05/14 (Hotel New York). Going back 19/12/14, flights and DLH booked! Yepppyyy!!!!

orangarnold

Quote from: Livvipivvi on April 28, 2014, 07:54:33 PM

Hiya, Thanks for your reply.  I'm planning on allowing my 2 DDs  some spending money maybe 100 euro each and if its available I also fancy the princess for the day treat for my 6 year old, which I think is about 150 euro.  Other than that it'll be a few drinks (although I'm planning on buying a bottle of water each in the mornings and filling up at fountains), possibly snacks and a few gifts, ride photos and souvenirs.

I would like to come home with some money left, but I've heard so many people saying that it's really expensive I thought I'd take extra and at least it's there if we need it, rather than be stressing every day about money.  I'm always worrying about stuff at home and as we've never been before and don't get to go away often I thought it would be a nice change lol.

Have you every bought any photos or magnets at the rides?  How much are they usually?

The photos are €12 for one but the moe you buy at the same time the cheaper they become, ask for a photo pass and they'll be be stored on a card where you can go to certain shops and gt them all printed at once

It's a sensible strategy to take more but dont worry about things, DLP is only as expensive as you let it be

ewormas

Hi, when we visited in february you could buy vouchers for €35 for 5 photos that you can use for rides and character. U dont get the frames but you can pay extra if you really want them-usually €3-€7 each.  If you get told you have too pay half price hold out and ask to speak to someone else, ive had this happen twice and has always been due to the fact that castmembers move around the park and get confused lol

daddyof2

I too am taking £1000 for 4 nights/5 days. DS is not quite 2 so his meals will be free, plus we're probably going to steer clear of the higher end a la carte restaurants, and have only one big meal a day. This should leave me a couple of hundred for souvenirs I think

Samninetysix

We spend shed loads of money at DLRP and looking at what you've already booked and paid for, unless you're my wife's twin sister you will have more than enough €€€ and bring cash home. You have paid for BBWWS and got half board, be careful about spending on snacky stuff, only because you don't want to ruin the half board you've already paid for.

gemma2806

I think £1000 for 5 days sounds sensible. It's always better to take too much than not enough! Problem is when on holiday I look at the currency as Monopoly money and my sensible financial head goes out the window ::)  I tend to take half of what I'm taking on a card and the other half in cash. I tend to pay for all food (apart from the stalls) on the card and then everything else ie snacks, drinks and souvenirs etc with cash.  :)

Gemma W

We took about £1000 when we went in Feb for our 5 day stay. It was my birthday (30th so I did treat myself and the kiddies quite a bit) and we had meal vouchers but even with buying everything we wanted we still came home with about £400. We took it all in cash (as I hadn't thought about the prepaid cards lol def doing that next time!) but thankfully we are going back in Dec so just left it in Euro's to spend then! Have a fab time! xx

Livvipivvi

Okies, that's fab, thank you all  :D

I'm going to order a prepaid euro card now and load it with £200 to start.

I've been looking at the exchange rate's for cash and so far the prepaid card offers a better rate than anywhere else, so I may put most of the money on it and pay the 1.50euro fee to withdraw it from a cashpoint in DLP.  Not sure if there are any daily spending or withdrawal restrictions on it though, so I will have to check that first  ;)

Livvipivvi

Quote from: ewormas on April 28, 2014, 09:34:23 PM

Hi, when we visited in february you could buy vouchers for €35 for 5 photos that you can use for rides and character. U dont get the frames but you can pay extra if you really want them-usually €3-€7 each.  If you get told you have too pay half price hold out and ask to speak to someone else, ive had this happen twice and has always been due to the fact that castmembers move around the park and get confused lol

Quote from: orangarnold on April 28, 2014, 08:15:23 PM
Quote from: Livvipivvi on April 28, 2014, 07:54:33 PM

Have you ever bought any photos or magnets at the rides?  How much are they usually?

The photos are €12 for one but the moe you buy at the same time the cheaper they become, ask for a photo pass and they'll be be stored on a card where you can go to certain shops and gt them all printed at once

It's a sensible strategy to take more but dont worry about things, DLP is only as expensive as you let it be

Thanks for the tips both thats great to know  :D

Where do you get the voucher/pass from?

orangarnold

Just ask for one at the first attraction that has photos, i think city hall may have them too

jazzyjules72

In regards to the prepaid cards can anybody suggest which one. There are so many and a little confused. I have details of post office one but think thats in pounds and just converts as you use it.

2014 June - Sequoia Lodge

Livvipivvi

Quote from: jazzyjules72 on April 30, 2014, 02:30:40 PM
In regards to the prepaid cards can anybody suggest which one. There are so many and a little confused. I have details of post office one but think thats in pounds and just converts as you use it.

I looked about and decided on the Fair FX card.  They offer the best rate.  They usually charge £9.95 or there abouts for the card, but enter the code xikpc in the code box when ordering and you'll get it free  :D

gemma2806

I've only ever used the Post Office and Thomas Cook so can't comment on others but out of these two I found the Thomas Cook one the best and they seemed to have a better exchange rate over the Post Office as well  :)