The decline of Discoveryland

Started by Flamma Gloria, February 27, 2014, 10:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flamma Gloria

There is a fact that saddens me greatly, it's the gradual disappearance of the atmosphere that characterized Discoveryland since its inception, the link was Jules Verne and his classic symbolism, all mixed with retro-futuristic aesthetic that I both fell in love .

After the disappearance of Visionaire and Le Café des Vissionaires much of that essence evaporated, but the most flagrant example was the transformation of Space Mountain "From the Earth to the Moon" to make it what is today, an attraction without a soul. All of the Verne's iconography with that magnificent moon, inspired by Georges Méliès watching us above the sky, is now part of history. Where is now the blast of the cannon that characterized this attraction, where is the smoke?

I think it is currently the weakest area around the park, with a disjointed union. It has lost its atmosphere.

Next year marks 10 years since Space Mountain was reformed , I think it would be a good time to return to the old Space Mountain and bring again the brightness that Discoveryland had once.

There's rumours about that fact or something that can return hope to the disenchanted?

PD: Sorry about my English.

LotsoHugginBear

You are absolutely right. I miss the origins of discovery land as well. I haven't heard any rumors about a return to the original version of space mountain. The only thing that comes up from time to time is a rumor about new trains for this attraction.

mnewcourt

I would love to see Discoveryland return to what it once was but I don't think that is a possibilty anymore. To much has changed over the years. And with that I mean the experience of attractions.

I love the time traveler attraction and I have great memories of it but would it work? A 360 degree video? I don't think so. A 3D movie like Captain EO or something else. Not likely I can watch a whole catalogue of 3D movies at home without having to leave the door.

Then there is Buzz. I don't see DLP moving the very popular attraction to any other place then where it is now.

But then what can DLP do? I agree with you. Bring back the original Space Mountain but then with the new trains or update the effects but keep the soul of the original version. Second update Star Tours and bring a Star Wars themed area to Discoveryland. New Star Wars movies are coming and this would make the area more suitable for all ages. Change the Captain EO Theater in a Jedi Academy or something else Star Wars related or change that back into the Time Traveler attraction.

Well this is my view about Discoveryland.

TVTaughtMeHowToFeel

http://www.independentguidebooks.com/blog/2014/4/20/disneyland-paris-rumour-incredibly-detailed-10-year-roadmap-from-2014
This article might give a little hope... at least for Space Mountain... But as always... nothing is for sure...
Here's what they say:
"Start of 2015: Space Mountain will be closed for approximately 6 months to get new trains, as well as new show elements and effects. The storyline could return to "De La Terre a la Lune" / "From the Earth to the moon" as it was pre-2005."
Halloween 2000
Summer 2004
Halloween 2005
Christmas 2005
Halloween 2007
Halloween 2010
Summer 2012
Spring 2014
Christmas 2014

orangarnold

Quote from: TVTaughtMeHowToFeel on April 27, 2014, 03:27:34 PM
http://www.independentguidebooks.com/blog/2014/4/20/disneyland-paris-rumour-incredibly-detailed-10-year-roadmap-from-2014
This article might give a little hope... at least for Space Mountain... But as always... nothing is for sure...
Here's what they say:
"Start of 2015: Space Mountain will be closed for approximately 6 months to get new trains, as well as new show elements and effects. The storyline could return to "De La Terre a la Lune" / "From the Earth to the moon" as it was pre-2005."

This article has been rubbished by many in the know and with contacts to those in the know. Its purely fan written, as lovely as a lot of this would be to happen its not going to be happening as it says in this article

Ezra

Its not just Discoveryland, but Tomorrowland in the US as well. While its sad that Discoveryland has somewhat lost its atmosphere, I think some of the rumors I've heard about Tomorrowland changes are potentially worse than what's happened to Discoveryland. Lets hope they just stay rumors. *shudders*

I would like Discoveryland to reflect the works of Jules Verne again though.

That lonely Manor on the hill, sorrowful song drifting...