Husband not keen on Disney!

Started by Kesirra, November 12, 2013, 08:48:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kesirra

My son and I love disney but my husband is not overly keen. Any tips to help him enjoy it more? He is quite geeky and a techie so any ideas welcomed. Thanks  :)

Hudsonl

Wifi is in most hotels now as well as the village. Plonk him down with his ipad and you and child enjoy your selves
DL USA feb, march+June 86
DW USA sept 87
DL USA jan + March
DLP Cheyenne 92
DLP Cheyenne March +Aug 93
DLP Cheyenne July 95
DLP Sequoia Aug 96
DLP sequoia April +nov Cheyenne 97
DLP Cheyenne dec 98
DLP New York nov 99
DLP Cheyenne Feb 2002
DLP new port bay Aug 2005
DLP Cheyenne nov 2006
DLP Newport bay nov 2008
DLP new York dec 2010
DLP NewYork dec  2011
DLP sequoia Aug 2012
DLP New York July 2013
DLP DLH dec 2013
DLP New York dec 2014
Hopefully many more after

mickeyfan

I will be going to dlp with my boyfriend for nye, and he is not very into disney either. Thus, I amm trying to show him thing that might interest him such as good restaurants, lovely views and also the great entertainment through technology that the park offers such as the shows. [size=78%]Due to my interest he now seems to be getting into it  ;) [/size]

wish you a lovely holiday, i'm sure the whole family will enjoy it ! :)

never2old

If he doesn't like Disney, try to avoid long queues as much as possible!!

Book in advance your restaurants and take the time (at least once) to enjoy a good meal in Walt's or Blue Lagoon, away from the hectic parks...

Oh, and make sure you go on Buzz!! My husband is not a huge fan of Disney (well, he's become more and more a fan, but he didn't really have much of a choice), and Buzz remains his absolute favourite ride. He's a bit of a techno geek as well...

And yes, if he gets too tired of it all, send him to the bar in the Hotel New York, great bar, very relaxed (and usually quiet), with free wifi!!

Samninetysix

Just tell him about the projectors on the rooftops that will be showing the Christmas version of "Dreams" and how incredibly powerful and techie they are. According to a tech-head I spoke to at DLRP they output just under 35,000 lumens (there are home projectors on ebay that output 40 lumens!). There's a Wiki article about the technical process ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projection_mapping

Oh, enjoy yourself :)

stitch147

My other half wasnt interested in going to disney at all, until his first time. Now he is hooked and loves the whole atmosphere and magic of the place. When we go in 2 weeks time it will be his 5th vistit in 5 years! (its my 21st visit!)

idylles

As said before, there is wifi.  And Disney is quite appropriate for grown ups, there are restaurants and terraces where your husband can sit and drink or just wait.  There are shops that have adult geek stuff, etc...  Thrill rides. 

Also, your husband can go on his own to Paris while you and your son go into the park, if he really isn't keen on it.  I'm pretty sure that when he's there, he'll find his place in the park. 
A dream is a wish your heart makes.

Samninetysix

I remember it well, wifey and I were camping in the south of France getting ready for our second site in the Dordogne, she kept harping on about EuroDisney and how much she wanted to go and me saying "No chance, it's for kids, you won't get me in there". As a surprise, I arranged a 2 night stay in Santa Fe ...... Next February is our 51st trip.....

amanda08

Maybe the walking tour would be interesting to him? You get to see a lot of backstage and hear a lot of the history of the parks.
My DH is no great fan either lol. We have been 12 times now and he is pretty much Disneyéd out lol. So my next two trips I am leaving him at home .............
;D

Mac

If he is techie then maybe get him to download the DLP App and he can help plan things on it and make to do lists and other good stuff. may help him get in the mood and make his time there more enjoyable while you are there if he has a fun app to play with while roaming the park with you. =) ºoº
ºoº☆¨*:•.1992 Opening Week (Disneyland Hotel).•:*¨☆ºoº - ºoº☆¨*:•.1994 (Hotel New York).•:*¨☆ºoº - ºoº☆¨*:•.1998 (Hotel Cheyenne).•:*¨☆ºoº - ºoº☆¨*:•.2001-2004 Cast Member (Moteurs... Action!).•:*¨☆ºoº - ºoº☆¨*:•.2005-2010 (Hotel New York).•:*¨☆ºoº -
ºoº☆¨*:•.2011 (Disneyland Hotel).•:*¨☆ºoº - ºoº☆¨*:•.2012 Christmas (Hotel New York).•:*¨☆ºoº - ºoº☆¨*:•.2013 Jan/Feb/May/Sept/Oct.•:*¨☆ºoº - ºoº☆¨*:•.2013 Christmas (Sequoia Lodge).•:*¨☆ºoº - ºoº☆¨*:•.2014 January (Santa Fe)/June/July.•:*¨☆ºoº

RockNRoller

Try one of the back stage tours so he can see how it all works. Or, and this may sound weird, go on Its a Small World and spend the whole ride looking backwards, you can see all the inner workings of the dolls etc. Ive done it a couple of times and its actually fascinating to watch. Failing that a few runs on IASW and the tune should completely brain wash him. ;D
DLRP 2000,01,02,03,04x2,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,13, 14, 2015 (Booked)

"Pumba, not in front of the kids"

daddyof2

If he's geeky, see if he might be interested in pin trading, or finding "hidden secrets" in the parks and hotels.

Kesirra

Thank you all. I will try and get him on on of the back stage tours and I am sure he will love dreams for the techie angle.  And if not well then next time he can stay at home  :D

staceylc

My husband is the same.  Any type of theme park is his worst nightmare so going during October half term was a really bad idea!!!

He did take some beautiful photos though.  I've been looking at going back in April but just me & DD.

Samninetysix

Quote from: staceylc on November 13, 2013, 12:59:40 AM
My husband is the same.  Any type of theme park is his worst nightmare so going during October half term was a really bad idea!!!

He did take some beautiful photos though.  I've been looking at going back in April but just me & DD.

I don't blame him, October half term was a nightmare - that was probably one of the busiest times I've ever been there. :(