Not so much a trip report as a brief reflection...

Started by jj554, November 08, 2013, 08:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jj554

Not one to write a long, detailed account of my visit, but just thought I would share a few bits about my recent trip.

3 nights, Cheyenne, November 4th - 7th.

- Definitely learned that trying new things is good! Never had a buffet in the park before - tried Restaurant Des Stars (OK) and Agrabah Cafe (Loved it!!) so that made a nice change. We are both vegan now so had to use some common sense instead of asking the staff every five minutes, but we certainly didn't go hungry! Also rode the Parachute Drop for the first time (mainly to check out the Ratatouille site, coming along nicely) and took the Railroad around the park which was fun too.

- This is an amazing time to go if you don't like queuing for rides (who does??) - our longest wait was maybe 15 minutes, if that, for Space Mountain but generally everything was pretty much a walk-on. EMH was in the Studios for our visit which was a pleasant surprise and meant we rode Crush's Coaster and Tower of Terror loads!! Although all that spinning on Crush's that soon after breakfast can be a bit much....

- Mickey's Magical Fireworks and Bonfire is OK, there is no bonfire to speak of (just a couple of flamethrower-esque things like the ones on the castle in Dreams!) the fireworks were quite impressive, although I felt it was quite dangerous the second time we saw it as the wind was strong and at some points there were bits of glowing red ash falling onto the crowd. Something even hit me from one of the fireworks and left a black mark on my coat. Hmmmm....wasn't sure what to think about this.

- According to the lady at reception, Cheyenne was only 35% full. It was extremely quiet at all times of day, breakfast was peaceful and not the riot I had been dreading (although we did go at 7am each morning) I was worried this hotel would be poor quality but it's absolutely fine, was perfectly cosy and the only real drawback was the long walk, especially when I realised I had left my Half-Board vouchers in the safe one day! No mini-bar which was a shame (although probably good for the benefit of my wallet)

I think they need to have more offers to attract people. Even if they reduce room rates, at least that's more bodies buying park tickets, food and merchandise. I know it's all been said before and I'm certainly no business guru but it just concerns me a little. Maybe everyone holds off until the Christmas period, what with it being so close.

- Everybody already knows this but Dreams! is simply unmissable. Even when I say to myself we will miss it one of the nights we are there I still find myself stood there at park closing time. I just can't let myself do anything else and know that I am missing it. Gutted we were a few days too early for Dreams of Christmas.

Lots of other things but I said this would be brief so I'm going to stop myself.

It was a really good trip overall, however I think we have done DLRP to death for a while and probably won't be back until 2015. Unless I cannot resist the pull once Ratatouille opens....

Trips so far
April 2011 - Sequoia Lodge (First ever DLRP trip)
Nov 2011 - Newport Bay Club (Mickey's Magical Fireworks and Bonfire 2011)
Sep 2012 - Hotel New York (20th Anniversary Celebrations)
Nov 2013 - Hotel Cheyenne (Mickey's Magical Fireworks and Bonfire 2013)
Dec 2015 - Disneyland Hotel (Disneyland at Christmas)

gemma2806

Wow it must have been quiet so I bet you managed to do the rides loads of times! I'm hoping it will be this quiet when I go in a couple of weeks.

Glad you liked the Agrabah Cafe as we will be trying this for the first time on our visit.

I think after this trip we will also be holding off going again for a bit, probably till 2017 for their 25th anniversary if I can keep myself away from any brilliant bargains that may appear in the meantime!

Thanks for the report and I'm pleased you had a lovely trip  :)

staceylc

Sounds like you had a great trip.

We went to Agrabah for the first time last week and loved the food, the service was dreadful though.

The reason the hotels are so empty at this time of year is because all the kids are at school (across the whole of Europe) & what with the new law saying that you can't take your child out of school without being fined, families are tied to dates.  The prices shoot right up too.  I mentioned the other day that if they kept the prices down during school holidays people might stay for longer & spend a bit more on food & merchandise.  Well I would anyway  :D

jj554

Forgot about schools! How silly of me. No kids myself so doesn't even factor into my thought process, but now you mention it that is an extremely good point!!!!

Trips so far
April 2011 - Sequoia Lodge (First ever DLRP trip)
Nov 2011 - Newport Bay Club (Mickey's Magical Fireworks and Bonfire 2011)
Sep 2012 - Hotel New York (20th Anniversary Celebrations)
Nov 2013 - Hotel Cheyenne (Mickey's Magical Fireworks and Bonfire 2013)
Dec 2015 - Disneyland Hotel (Disneyland at Christmas)

mnewcourt

It sounds like a great stay. The short wait times (or none at all) must have been great.

emsybev

Thanks for the review... Sounds fab!

We are heading out there on 17th Nov... any tips?

We're also staying in the Cheyenne and are travelling from Ashford via Eurostar.

Thanks

Em xxx

Zee79

Quote from: emsybev on November 09, 2013, 10:22:26 PM
Thanks for the review... Sounds fab!

We are heading out there on 17th Nov... any tips?

We're also staying in the Cheyenne and are travelling from Ashford via Eurostar.

Thanks

Em xxx
I would chose the earlier breakfast and make sure you make reservations  for meals since the Christmas Season has started when you go so be getting busy. We went 17th Nov the first time we went at Christmas and enjoyed it, went in December the following year, staying at the Cheyenne and found it very busy in the dining areas. Wrap up warm, plenty of thin layers and enjoy yourselves  :D

emsybev

Thanks for the hints! We're planning to eat at Cafe Mickey on our last night so will book in as soon as we get there.  Do you reckon it'll be busy next week? We've been in October and the beginning of November (bonfire night) and it was quiet, but not been for xmas since I was 18 (a little while ago! lol)