Space Mountain too much?

Started by PrincessA, September 19, 2013, 12:31:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrincessA

Hi All,

How would you classify space mountain in terms of....intensity, I guess.
I've never ridden it before, and I'm really curious, but it took me a couple of rides to get used to Big Thunder Mountain, and I don't particularly like the idea of 360 spins. Do you think space mountain might be a bit much for me?

ed-uk

I've tried Space Mountain at DLP a few times in the past, not my cup of tea, I don't like 360 degree loops. :o  I liked the WDW version better, that doesn't have any loops. Big Thunder Mountain is just about the only roller coaster ride i like and much more fun for me than Space Mountain, but i'm glad i tried it and now i don't have to do it again.  ;D 
Ed & David

stitch147

I love Space Mountain! But Im a bit of a thrill junkie and love loops! If you dont like loops I wouldnt recommend it! Its quite fast.
I love it!

DisneyDonna

It has loops, but I don't mind them as much because it's dark and you can't see them coming. The thing with Space Mountain is, it's really, really, really bumpy and rough. But apart from that it's great fun!!

idylles

I've never been into the Mountain, I've had a bad experience with another coaster that was similar and I'm kind of scared it will happen again. 

I did hear, from my parents who did go in, that it's not that bad once you get seated.  The trick is to hold your head against your seat, so you won't be "thrown" around by the bumpy nature of the coaster. 
A dream is a wish your heart makes.

mickeyspal

I used to enjoy Space Mountain as I like thrill rides, but I haven't enjoyed it  since it became SM2, purely as I think it jerks about too much, and my head bangs against the headrest which I don't recall happening on the first SM. If you don't mind being thrown about then this ride is fun.
1993 + 2005 - Hotel Cheyenne
1995 - Walt Disney World Florida
1997 - Hotel New York
1998 - Hotel Santa Fe
2000 + 2006 + 2012 + 2014 - Sequoia Lodge
2002 + 2004 +  2009 - Newport Bay
2007 + 2015 - Hong Kong Disney
2007 - DLP (1 day visit)
2017 - Disneyland Hotel - Cinderella Suite
2018 - Disney Cruise- Mediterranean
2019 - Disneyland Hotel
2020 - Disney Merrytime Cruise - Caribbean

Alexz

Quote from: stitch147 on September 19, 2013, 10:45:18 AM
I love Space Mountain! But Im a bit of a thrill junkie and love loops! If you dont like loops I wouldnt recommend it! Its quite fast.
I love it!
I love it too! The best ride I have been on. And I'm also a thrill junkie.
My previous Disney trips:
Tokyo Disneyland: March 1998
Walt Disney World: March 2008 /*\ New Years 2011 /*\ April 2013 /*\ October 2015
Disneyland Paris: September 2013 /*\ July 2015
Disneyland California: August 2016 (Honeymoon)

Upcoming trips:
Disneyland Paris: Spring 2020?
Walt Disney World: 2021 or 2022
Hong Kong Disneyland: -
Shanghai Disneyland: -

sharkbait

My advice is try it. The ride is over really very quickly. Unless you have history of panic attcks or anxiety which would give a medical reason not to go on do it. Bet you love it if you love thunder mountain :-)

spacemountainplatypi

Space mountain is the best ride in the resort (you can see that I feel that way by my username). I would recommend it without a doubt. the inversions aren't that bad. the only problem is the head rests
"From Time to Time" -Le Visionarium.

Hey, i'm also a D23 Gold Member.... SO THATS FUN!

________Past Trips____________
3 Times in 2001, Twice in 2002, Twice in 2003, Once In 2004, Twice in 2005, Once in 2007, Twice in 2008, 3 times in 2009, Twice in 2010, Twice in 2011, Twice in 2012, Twice in 2013, Once in 2014. February 26-28, 2017.  December 3-6, 2017.

Next Trip: September 2018.

SwipatronSparks

it really depends on how big you are, and i dont mean around the waist here i mean height, i am 5'2 so quite small i found the ride to be mixed depending on where i was sitting on the ride itself, at the front/back it was really bumpy and uncomfortable in the middle it was alot smoother, i have also heard of taller folk complaining about the ride as well as the more your head fits into the gap between the restraints into the headrest bit the more you will get knocked around, again try for as close to the middle of the train as you can for the smoothest most comfortable ride, as for loops, i am quite the thrill junky so i love it and i find that the speed of the ride makes you not realise you have been through a loop until you are already passed it, its also in the dark so you cant see the track ahead of you which could make the looping aspect easier to deal with because as i said you wont realise you are on a loop until you are either on it or past it
past trips to DLRP ~2001~2001~2002~2003~2005~2005~2006~2008~2011~2013~2015/16~2016~2017~2019
DLH, SL, NPBC, Explorers, Dream Castle, Magic Circus, Kyraid,

upcoming trips....

Ravenseye

It's true, you don't see the loops due to dim light in there, so only when you are inverted do you realise  :D
Having said I wouldnt ride it this trip, I ended up riding it 7 times!
My reason for not wanting to ride is the discomfort, you tend to get bumped about and I noticed bruises around my collar bone and top of my shoulders we now refer to this as 'Space Mountain Shoulders'. It helped slightly when I put my sweatshirt around me to act as a kind of buffer where the harness fits (i'm 5 8" which may have some bearing).
We also noticed that if you sit in the last seats AND the carriage is almost empty (!) it's much bumpier...our heads were bashed about even though we kept them against the headrests, not nice. However, we still loved it!
Disneyworld 1990
Disneyland Paris 1996, 2002, 2004, 2013, 2014...

lindavdende

What helped me for not getting throw around and hit my head against the restraints, is to completely hang into the restraints. So only when you get launched hold head back and then after that put your head out en front of schoulders against the restraints. It helped me and my mom

orangarnold

I've still not been on this, I am hoping my 7th time of going will be my first time on Space Mountain

spacemountainplatypi

Quote from: orangarnold on September 20, 2013, 11:33:06 PM
I've still not been on this, I am hoping my 7th time of going will be my first time on Space Mountain
However bad you think it'll be, it isn't, no more scary than crush's coaster.
"From Time to Time" -Le Visionarium.

Hey, i'm also a D23 Gold Member.... SO THATS FUN!

________Past Trips____________
3 Times in 2001, Twice in 2002, Twice in 2003, Once In 2004, Twice in 2005, Once in 2007, Twice in 2008, 3 times in 2009, Twice in 2010, Twice in 2011, Twice in 2012, Twice in 2013, Once in 2014. February 26-28, 2017.  December 3-6, 2017.

Next Trip: September 2018.

orangarnold

Quote from: spacemountainplatypi on September 20, 2013, 11:57:44 PM
Quote from: orangarnold on September 20, 2013, 11:33:06 PM
However bad you think it'll be, it isn't, no more scary than crush's coaster.

Yeah, it's the start thats always put me off and the past few times I've been I've been with a non rollercoaster type person, this time however....