Not To Miss

Started by lipton00, August 10, 2013, 10:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lipton00

Hi,

On Sept 11th me and 3 girlfriends are going to DLP for 5 days, traveling via Eurostar from St Pancras and staying in Santa Fe. I haven't been to DLP since 1997 (one day trip), though I did a day in Disneyland California in 2005, one of the girls visited 2 years ago but it was with a ex boyfriend who she ended up having a big falling out with while there! The other two have never been to a Disney park. We're all Disney nuts in our early 20s so are looking forward to embracing our inner child and getting some Disney magic in our lives :)

We have the half board meal plan and do plan to visit Paris for one day while we are there. We are having a planning 'meeting' this week to plot where we might want to book to use our meal tickets and make a list of things we definitely want to see/do.

Obviously rides are top of the list (Phantom Manor and TOT are my personal favourites). We're also really excited to see La taniere du Dragon as we had no idea it was there until we started researching!

So as a group without kids is there anything that you would recommend dining or experience wise that we shouldn't miss? I hear the Glowtinis are pretty good ;)

BlackPearl

Do try the cocktails in one of the hotel bars. They aren't cheap (well, it's Disney) but they are
really good.

Have a nice trip!  :D

littlebitofpixiedust

Planet Hollywood is nice and they usually come and take a photo of you all wich would be a nice keepsake? Don't miss Disney dreams its amazing I'm sure you've heard!
Inventions reastarunt in the Disneyland hotel is expensive but in my opinion worth it the characters come round and you get a nice view also.
TOT is brilliant but then so is crushes coaster (get to the studios 9.30 and run for it) the que is always long even at off peak (when we visit) rock n roller coaster also is great but not as long que as crushes. Enjoy! :)

captain rocket

It's amazing how many people miss the dragon, which is a shame as it really is atmospheric down in the dungeon, here's a shot to whet your appetite!

lipton00

Thank you guys! We're really getting excited now, when we booked in April it seemed so far away and it sort of snuck up us! I can't wait to see dreams, it looks amazing.

Just from experience should book meals now or can we wait a bit?

gemma2806

I've never booked my meals while I'm still in the UK, I've always waited till I get to the hotel then on check in I head to the concierge desk with my list of restaurants and times and book everything with them then and there. I've not had a problem doing this yet and they have never been fully booked.

It's worth noting though that you CAN'T book tables in advance at the following places:

Planet Hollywood
Rainforest Cafe
Annette's Diner

You just have to turn up here and queue however the earlier you eat the less wait you'll have. I usually eat at 6pm when I'm in DLP and have never had to wait for a table at these restaurants. Alternatively eat at these places for lunch and there definitely won't be a queue and it will be a quieter eating experience.

lipton00

Only 19 days now, getting really excited! We're having a 'Disney meeting' tonight to discuss where we want to eat and what day we will go into Paris. Just for a laugh I dug out the few photos I could find of my first and only trip to DLP

I wish I had more but, hey it was 1997 and apparently film was expensive ;)

I can't wait to take 1000 and 1 photos on this trip!

DisneyManiac

Have a great time! Here is a couple of what not to miss:

Phantom Manor Gardens and Boot Hill

Gardens - May surprise you but at dusk just around sundown, look at the very messy Gardens of Phantom Manor and, if you wait for about 5 minutes, a lightning effect will flash randomly on the floor. Which, in my opinion, adds the touch of magic. Discovered this on my last trip to DLP in October 2012.

Boot Hill - Try and visit this gem a lot, last time I visited it was closed for refurbishment. Boot Hill is Thunder Mesa's Graveyard, lookout for the Grave of the 49'ers.

Hidden Mickey - Probably very missed out, these can be seen throughout the whole Resort including Buzz Lightyear's Laser Blast, which features 2 Hidden Mickeys, a planet and a combination of stars...

Nine-Eye - I personally do not know of Nine-Eye but have heard a lot of him. Next time you ride Buzz Lightyear's Laser Blast, see if you can spot him behind the Box-o-Bot.

That's all, for now...

If your interested please say and I'll post more.

julesk

Quote from: "DisneyManiac"Have a great time! Here is a couple of what not to miss:

Gardens - May surprise you but at dusk just around sundown, look at the very messy Gardens of Phantom Manor and, if you wait for about 5 minutes, a lightning effect will flash randomly on the floor. Which, in my opinion, adds the touch of magic. Discovered this on my last trip to DLP in October 2012.

Boot Hill - Try and visit this gem a lot, last time I visited it was closed for refurbishment. Boot Hill is Thunder Mesa's Graveyard, lookout for the Grave of the 49'ers.

Hidden Mickey - Probably very missed out, these can be seen throughout the whole Resort including Buzz Lightyear's Laser Blast, which features 2 Hidden Mickeys, a planet and a combination of stars...

Nine-Eye - I personally do not know of Nine-Eye but have heard a lot of him. Next time you ride Buzz Lightyear's Laser Blast, see if you can spot him behind the Box-o-Bot.

That's all, for now...

Wow, great tips and must see's. Steeling these for next years visit  :oops:  Thanks

DisneyManiac

Quote from: "julesk"
Quote from: "DisneyManiac"Have a great time! Here is a couple of what not to miss:

That's all, for now...

Wow, great tips and must see's. Steeling these for next years visit  :oops:  Thanks

No Problem, it's nice to share the magic!

lipton00

Thank you for your tips! Will definitely see if I can spot any hidden Mickeys.