Booked for a busy week exciment turns to dread HELP!

Started by merlin, February 25, 2013, 11:09:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merlin

Hi
in june last year we  booked 4 nights 5 days for the 25th of march (Davy Crocketts) got permission for kids to be off school a week before there easter hols nievely thinking the week before easter we might get in and out before the school hols started.
We have recently been told by a friend who tried to book that the resort is fully booked for those dates we have been to dlrp  5 times and the last time we went was in June and one of the days was a Saturday (always been weekdays before) and it was horrendous queues where huge and people were like a torrent coming at you from all directions  so we decided to leave early and start the drive home (me my wife 3 small kids and two oap's).

We love dlrp and I was looking forward to it very much but the thought of having five days like that has filled me with dread so I suppose my question is does anyone have any advice for coping when its busy.

things to do and not to  do.
Are weekdays in holiday periods like weekends?

For some reason my family think I'm the Disney team leader when we are there and I make all the decisions what rides when etc. (usually wrong) :-"  I can feel the stress building and its 4 weeks away   :roll:
I really don't want to but I'm considering taking the hit and cancelling and rebooking for a less busy period.

any advice gratefully received

bamberrr

Use fastpasses, as your staying at Davy Crockett i suggest you get breakfast early, 7 am, or even pick it up and take it with you  and get to the park for 8 for extra magic hours, remember your hotel easy pass. Go straight to discoveryland and do the rides that are open there, buzz first as its a must, then space mountain. Then to  fantasyland for peter pan, dumbo, tea cups and the carousel, then eat your breakfast, That you pick up from the little hut at the side of you camping area in davys and go to its a small world and queue up for the ride opening and you should be one of the first on, Then make your way over to frontierland and get a fastpass for big thunder mountain. Now you have already done most of the rides in fantasy land and discoveryland and have your reservation for Big thunder mountain.  You now have the rest of the day to relax and take your time.

Also go on the rides during / after the parades as this is when they are least busy as most people are watching the parade. As you are going for 5 days you could watch the parade some days and do the rides on others.
I also suggest a character meal, remember to make a reservation early, as this is a great way to meet characters and saves time and energy pushing to get a pic/autograph in the park.  

Take snacks and try to eat just before or after the main eating times, ie, arriving at restaurant about 11.30 or about 2/3.

For walt disney studios again get the fastpasses early, and try to do crushes coaster first thing or again while the parade is on.  Rock and roller coaster may have a long line but usally goes pretty fast. As for the shows the theatres are massive so they get a lot of people in them so they are a must.

Anything else feel free to message me.  Just take it as it comes and try not to get to stressed, remember its about the whole experience not just the rides =]

HFJohnson

I don't know if that week is going to be busy, however just because their are no rooms available doesn't necessarily mean the hotels are at capacity. I think that week is low season so they will have fewer staff and therefore will only release a certain number of rooms.

I doubt that week is going to be crazy busy and even if it is you'll still be able to get loads done by using EMH and fastpasses.

HFJohnson

I've just checked French school holidays are there are none while you're there so it looks like you'll probably be fine!

polar vixen

As much as possible, use your magic hours, and do rides later in the day when it's quieter, use hours in the middle of the day for shows etc, esp. in disney studios, and shopping,  We found it sooo much easier if it is busy doing rides on the evening as most of them were walk ons as opposed to hr long waits.
HAVE FUN!
Eztra thought, do either of your OAP's have conditions which would make it dificult for them to queue?  If so you might be able to get a pass for the rides and avoid queuing as long as one of your OAPs is riding too.

merlin

Hi thanks everyone for your help hadn't thought about the staffing levels as a cause for being fully booked.
im sure we will have fun busy or not.
Thanks again

julesk

We went end of March last year and it was really busy but the weather was great and the atmosphere was magical.  As the others have mentioned, make the most of the extra hours and have a good plan of what rides to hit first. We had little to no queues during this time but faced over 2 hours during regular opening.  We also found planning rides for while the parades where on and when most people eat is great. While its busy, make the most of the hotel facilities and even take a day trip into paris or the local aquarium. There is also the option to book charactor meals to save the queues to meet your chosen charactors. If you have girls, book the princess meal, the princess pavillion was 90 mins minimum wait for us which was hell. We have booked the meal for this year. Have a great time.

lauralouisemidwinter

We are going on the 24th to the 27th. But one thing I want to know is how can the WHOLE resort be fully booked. That is ridiculous.
Laura Louise

My yesterday is your today, My today is your tomorrow.

DLP - 2011 - May/June - Santa Fe
DLP - 2012 - February - Santa Fe - VERY COLD
DLP - 2013 - March - Santa Fe
DLP - 2014 - September Santa Fe - CAN'T WAIT

lauralouisemidwinter

We are going on the 24th to the 27th. But one thing I want to know is how can the WHOLE resort be fully booked. That is ridiculous.
Laura Louise

Elaine

Quote from: "lauralouisemidwinter"We are going on the 24th to the 27th. But one thing I want to know is how can the WHOLE resort be fully booked. That is ridiculous.

because they only release a certain number of hotel rooms for sale in low season, so that they don't have to employ more staff in the hotels (they increase the hotel staff for summer season on short term contracts).

I've seen it many times in "low" season. The onsite hotels sell out at the capacity DLP has set itself, we go offsite with annual passes cheaper, and get to the parks to find them nice and quiet  :) .

Honestly, French/Spanish/Italian school holidays, and French public holidays, are what you should look at to guage busy times at the park, not how full the onsite hotels are.

lauralouisemidwinter

So I am staying at the Santa Fe and they have 1000 rooms, so in low season they may only have 700 for sale. I have I got that right :)
Laura Louise

Elaine

Quote from: "lauralouisemidwinter"So I am staying at the Santa Fe and they have 1000 rooms, so in low season they may only have 700 for sale. I have I got that right :)

yes, thats the general idea.

lauralouisemidwinter

Ahh, my mind can rest now. I thought that every single bed and every room would be filled :D
Thankyou :D
Laura Louise