Waiters forcing you to tip!

Started by disneydreamer_x, December 22, 2012, 11:25:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

disneydreamer_x

We have just come back from a lovely trip to DLP which we enjoyed very much but on 2 occasions in 2 different restaurants - the Rainforest Cafe and Beavers Creek in Sequoia Lodge - our waiter forced us 2 tip with the same excuse!

Every time we pay for a meal we count the money out at least 2 times if not even 3 to check we have the correct amount of money and we always make sure we do! But when the waiter in both restaurants took the money away and 'counted' it and we were just leaving he came running up to us telling us we were €10 short of the full amount so we had to pay as we did not have any evidence that we had paid the correct amount so they forced us to pay a €10 tip! How Rude!!!

Next time we think we will count the money in front of the waiter so that they know that we have paid them the correct amount!

Have any of you guys had a similar experience?

jonathan

Never had this experience and it's a shame that you did.  I found that most were very gracious of the tips I left and all acted as if very surprised when I tipped.  This was everyone from hotel porters to serving staff in bars and restaurants.

I did have a sort of similar experience in the Auberge du Cendrillon- we had our full board premium vouchers, 2 adults and 2 kids but not for my 2 year old.  The waiter asked if we would like a drink for the 2 year old and asked if he was under 3 and if so no charge. Ok we said.  We paid with our vouchers and then got a vill for just under 10 euros for the orange juice 'given' to my 2 year old.  When I queried this the senior staff member just used the waiters 'misunderstanding of English' and said the charge stood.  Not in the mood for a scene I paid.  All I had was a 20 euro note so I gave it in with the bill.  After 5 mins or so nobody had returned with my change.  I enquired to be told 'we dont give change, the waiter would have assumed the change was his tip and he had now gone for his break and they couldn't do anything'.  Lovely I thought.

I noticed this sly tactic in Cafe Mickey as well- you get one soft drink including in the meal voucher and when the kids had finished their drinks the waiter would ask them if they would like another drink. Kids of course day 'yes please' but then you'd get a bill you didnt want as youd already paid with your vouchers.  We kept explaining that we were fine for drinks.  I think its very wrong for them to ask small children though.  Anyway Ive veered off topic so sorry!

disneydreamer_x

Its fine!
We always tip if we have a great service at restaurants and the waiters are always happy when we do but in these 2 circumstances we didn't want to tip as we didn't have a great service so instead they forced us to which I didn't think was very fair but what else could I do?

Boxy

I know exactly what you are saying ' disneydreamer'. I am always happy to leave a tip - when I get a good service- which I did at every single restaurant I ate at during my stay until we ate at The Hunter's Grill on the last night. The restaurant was very quiet at 6 pm but our waiter did not come near us to clear our plates away and we ended up leaving them stacked up on the next table. It was when we started our desserts that it seemed he had decided it was time for us to leave and brought over the bill without us even asking !
This annoyed us so we decided we were going to pay the exact amount and no more- just this once. Unfortunately,we did not have the right change and ended up giving notes but we should have had 8 Euros change. We waited and waited  for our change whilst watching the waiter chatting near the till. In the end we gave up and started to walk out as it was our last evening but he just said 'Bonsoir' as we left. I wish I had had the nerve to ask him for our change in front of the manager and his other colleagues but I didn't.

Epcot_Boy

Interestingly I did once have a situation similar to yours disneydreamer_x :(  Normally when paying for my evening meals I use either the Hotel card or my credit card, but on this particular occasion I had some extra cash on me and decided to pay with that. It was in the 'Steakhouse' in the village, and after a very nice meal upon receiving my check I popped the money on the tray, signalled to the server payment was there and finished of my coffee. The waiter took the tray and dissappeared only to show up within seconds saying that I was 20 euros short :x
I knew I wasn't so I told him in no uncertain terms that I was not short, the correct money had been paid and he should go and double check, which he did. Upon him leaving my table, I got up and went straight to the desk at the front of the restaurant and explained the situation to them, informing them that I was now leaving and that if they needed to contact me they could get me at the Sequoia Lodge. I gave them my name and left................never to hear from them again :o
Had there been any doubts in my mind I would have paid without question, but there were none so there was absolutely no way I was going to pay more, no way :P

David

ed-uk

I've never heard of such a thing,  we also use a credit card or charge the meal to our hotel with a  Disney charge card. I would suggest everyone do the same.
Ed & David

Samninetysix

I would have reported him for theft. Once you would maybe question yourself but twice??. I would still contact DLP, tell them where, what time/date you ate with a description of the waiter and report him.

disneydreamer_x

As long at it isn't just me and others have had similar experiences.
@samninetysix I was thinking about contacting DLP but one of the restaurants where this occurred was the Rainforest Cafe which is not part of the Disney company so I dont know whether my complaint would apply to them or whether I would have to complain to Rainforest Cafe separately.

jackieann

makes me very nervous about my future trips now... i think in future as soon as i recieve my bill i will walk up to the till and pay if i am using cash rather than wait for them to come to my table.. that way they will be checking in front of me...  Horrible horrible people how can people be so dishonest!!