Faux flames in the park

Started by pussinboots, February 15, 2010, 02:06:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pussinboots

http://www.ocregister.com/video/?videoId=66280315001
Unfortunately I can't embed the video, but Disney has apparently invested $1 million to improve its faux flames for the Haunted Mansion in Disneyland. They're LED-based and they flicker in a random, realistic pattern so complex that there are several patents on it. And apparently you can own one in May.

It got me thinking of all the different solutions they have for this in Disneyland Paris. The closest thing they have to this are the candles in the Chateau, which too flicker (read: move) in a very convincing manner. You know the ones. They're always broken, but when they work, they're pretty cool. At Phantom Manor, they have those little stubby bulbs in all the candles which look like dying flames, and everywhere else in the park they're the sort of unconvincing flame-shaped bulbs you can find in every chandelier on earth.

And they had this really neat effect for The Legend of the Lion King:

Of course, with tungsten bulbs being banned in a few years, they might as well start looking into this.

Martyn

The 'flames' in the two arcades down the back of Main Street are real, aren't they?

luke85

Quote from: "Martyn"The 'flames' in the two arcades down the back of Main Street are real, aren't they?
As far as I'm aware, I always thought they were real gas lamps. If they are fake flames, then they're very good!

Martyn

That is exactly what I thought. They MUST be real, infact I'd put a lot of money on it  :D/

Anthony

Not sure you'd get very good odds though... :wink:

captain rocket

According to what I have read those lamps are most definitely Gas Lamps, they were installed when DLRP belived in quality and spent money on making the place a real Magic place to visit. Oh for those visionarys today!

carolyn

Hi, Everyone

I want to bump this topic, i need to know more about this faux flames.

Columbiad

At a recent Technical Theatre convention in Edinburgh, I discovered this company La Maitre, based in Surrey, who do a "fake Flame" machine that looks incredibly similar to the effect used in The Legend of the Lion King.

QuoteFrom the catalogue:
The Fake Flame creates the illusion of real gas flames but uses absolutely no flammable products, instead projecting coloured light onto a swirling screen of vapour.

http://www.lemaitre.co.uk/productInform ... Product=90

Hope this coule have been of some help, carolyn!