Disneyland Park or Magic Kingdom?

Started by captain rocket, February 12, 2012, 09:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captain rocket

I noticed on my visit last week that in the entrance to the Princess meet and greet it mentions that Her Royal Highness will be pleased to grant an audience to visitors to the Magic Kingdom. I don't believe our park has ever been called the Magic Kingdom and I think the only other reference to it is the famous sign at Main Street station, anyone seen a mention of the MK anywhere else?

mattboywonder

I've only ever spotten the one at Main Street Station but I guess they are often referred to as MK style parks
Disneyland - 1991, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010, 2012
Walt Disney World - 1998, 2000, 2010, 2011, 2012
Tokyo Disneyland - 2008, 2011, 2012
Disneyland Paris - 1997, 2002, 2007, 2008, 2009 (March, May, Halloween & Dec), 2010 (Feb, July, Oct & Dec), 2011 (April, July & September), 2012 (March, April & July & New Years Eve) 2013 March
Hong Kong Disneyland - 2007, 2008

Anthony

The Disneyland Railroad spiel famously announces a "grand circle tour of the Magic Kingdom". It's used as a kind of secondary, descriptive name probably to avoid using "park" or "theme park", but never the official title. I think the same may have always been true of the original Disneyland?

Interestingly though, when first announced in 1987/88 the park was originally going to be known as Magic Kingdom Park, with the entire resort named Euro Disneyland. Then they shortened it to Euro Disney and the park became Euro Disneyland. Right up until 2002, when new turnstiles and tickets were brought in alongside the Studios opening, all the tickets had "MKP" written on them, I think to denote Magic Kingdom Park.

Josh

I guess it's a bit like how the name of the set is different to the name of the actual place. For example, Frontierland is set in Thunder Mesa and Carsland is set in Radiator Springs. So maybe Disneyland is set in the Magic Kingdom? :)
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

Disney-Me

Hi,
Disneyland or Disneyland Park in Paris is the Magic Kingdom! They use Magic Kingdom as a nickname. It is known that the main park is always called the Magic Kingdom in all the Disney Resorts!!!

Speaking of Paris, Disneyland Park has been called "Magic Kingdom" on several occasions. To begin with, at the train station on Main Street U.S.A. there is a sign that mentions the Magic Kingdom. In the past, Disneyland Railroad used to mention the word Magic Kingdom too. And also, in the past, during the opening of the Park, Mickey used to say "Welcome to the Magic Kingdom of Disneyland Paris".

So, you can call Disneyland Paris's main Park, either Disneyland which is the "official" name or Magic Kingdom! They're all the same :)
Follow me on Twitter! All Disney related issues that I am aware about and experience myself will be posted online on Twitter regularly and personally by "DisneyMoi", who also happens to be Disney-Me, who is "ME". //https://twitter.com/#!/DisneyMoi.

Enjoy some of my experiences with the Disney characters around the world on Flickr! //http://www.flickr.com/photos/59201102@N06/

DGRavenswood

Quote from: "Anthony"I think the same may have always been true of the original Disneyland?

Yep, it's been called "Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom" since at least 1955.

There was a moment before the opening of the Studios when they seemed to consider officially calling the first park Magic Kingdom before settling on Disneyland Park. It even made it into a souvenir book.
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

"Without a doubt ... the most inclusive online experience of DLP Frontierland." –Jeff Burke

Epcot_Boy

Sorry one and all ;)  but I have to differ :D

It is true that Walt Disney dreamed of a magical kingdom type theme park but decided to call the first park in Anaheim 'Disneyland Park'. The 'Magic Kingdon' was indeed used as a nickname for DPC but it was not its official name.
When WDW in Florida was built the first park, to differentiate it from DLC was officially named the 'Magic Kingdom'.

When our park in Paris was opened Eisner named it 'Euro Disneyland' and since then it has had several name changes like 'Euro Disneyland Paris', 'Disneyland Paris' and 'Disneyland Park'. So although the nickname for all the parks has been 'The Magic Kingdom', only the park in WDW is officially called the 'Magic Kingdom'.

In fact many believe that the signs on the railways are actually a genuine mistake that has been perpetuated :o
Another interesting point is that park tickets for the Florida Park bear the name 'Magic Kingdom, the others do not ;)

Also note Tokyo Disneyland and Hong Kong Disneyland. So although I would agree that all the parks are often called 'Magic Kingdoms', I would suggest that only the one at WDW is officially called the 'Magic Kingdom' :D

Now I could be wrong, but that's the way it looks to me :thumbs:

David

DGRavenswood

I don't think anyone disagreed with the fact that the only park actually named "Magic Kingdom" is Florida's first park. It seems obvious, actually.

What's been stated here is that at several points, our Disneyland Park was considered being named Magic Kingdom before deciding otherwise and has always carried it as a by-name.

It's also the term for the specific kind of theme park (hub-and-spokes design, castle in the center, areas based on history, fantasy and futurism).
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

"Without a doubt ... the most inclusive online experience of DLP Frontierland." –Jeff Burke

Epcot_Boy

Quote from: "DGRavenswood"I don't think anyone disagreed with the fact that the only park actually named "Magic Kingdom" is Florida's first park. It seems obvious, actually.

Silly me :roll:

David

mattboywonder

I always thought it was a discriptive term rather than a name - like "The Magic Kingdom of Disneyland Paris"
Disneyland - 1991, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010, 2012
Walt Disney World - 1998, 2000, 2010, 2011, 2012
Tokyo Disneyland - 2008, 2011, 2012
Disneyland Paris - 1997, 2002, 2007, 2008, 2009 (March, May, Halloween & Dec), 2010 (Feb, July, Oct & Dec), 2011 (April, July & September), 2012 (March, April & July & New Years Eve) 2013 March
Hong Kong Disneyland - 2007, 2008