Trip 12. - 16. September

Started by Farbauti, September 26, 2011, 09:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farbauti

The Davy Crockett Ranch experiences

We (that is 4 adults, no kids) booked our stay at DCR for 2 reasons: We two couples were looking for a minimum of privacy and we've never visited DCR before. Plus the description "log cabin" sounded quite interesting. So we got us a premium cabin.

The first downer came immediately when we arrived. The "log" cabin was just a caravan with plastic walls inside. This is ok if you are expecting this - if you're looking forward to some sort of a wooden house (so did I) this is quite disappointing.
Secondly: The cabin is tiny! And no storage space at all. There are 2 bedrooms, one with a double bed and one with 3 single beds (one is a folding bed). This "childrens" room has one (1) wardrobe 50cm wide. This space wasn't enough for 2 of us. I don't see how 4 People can stow their stuff adequately. We placed the suitcase on one bed and virtually lived out of the suitcase :(
In my opinion the DCR is the choice for a longer stay at DLP. If you only have 1 or 2 nights, I'd spend all time in the parks and not on the verandah at the cabin. But then again you probably have more clothes with you.

Another unpleasant thing: A lot of equipment was broken when we arrived. The coffee machine's filter was broken, and fell off when one grabbed the coffee pot. The tray holder in the dish washer was broken, so the upper tray fell off if pulled too far out. One of the outside lighting was broken, and wasn't repaired for 5 days (we complained this the day we arrived). Other minor things were broken too, but I forgot.

A pleasant surprise was the breakfast. OK, you have to fetch yours from the booth at the entrance of each trail. It comprises (for 4):
4 croissants, 4 milk rolls, 1 baguette, 1 litre milk, 1 litre orange juice, instant coffee/chocolate powder, butter and jam. Though no cold cuts or cheese. Not exactly healthy but nutritiously :)
We only had to fetch some bottles of water for the coffee itself (got it from the auchan supermarket, not the highly expensive store at DCR).

The parks

The opening hours were somewhat disappointing. WDS closed already at 6pm, MK at 7pm. For me dusk is a very special time to experience the park - with all the illumination going on. Even in low season the parks should stay open till sunset.

We were very curious about the new Toystory Playland. The parachute flight looked lame (waiting time was 30min with 10min unloading/loading per run), the Slinky Dog ride was lame (in comparison to similar rides at funfairs). We haven't tried the swing boat ride (none of us could stand that kind of movement).

The Stars'n'Cars parade in WDS was great. Unfortunately Cinemagique was closed down.

In MK there were a lot of princess characters (Rapunzel, Ariel, Cinderella, ...) to meet. It was funny to watch children and adults as well posing with the characters :)

The Village

We did Buffalo Bill and it was nice. Nicer than I had in mind (last time was 8 years ago).
And Earl of Sandwich is a very good addition. All food there was very tasty.

Questions? Just aks ;)

Best regards,

dagobert

Thanks for your trip report.

I've never wanted to stay at DCR, although we have already considered it when taking friends. Thanks to your report, we will not stay there.

We have seen Buffalo Bill in 2007 and we liked it as well? What do you think about the addition of Mickey Mouse to the show?

What was your impression of the parks? Were they well maintained and clean?

Farbauti

Please don't get me wrong. DCR is not bad - for people used to camping. It's quite camping deluxe ;)
But if you want to enjoy the comfort of a hotel or a solid building...

Mickey Mouse & Co. in Buffalo Bill's appeared just when the main course was served. So we didn't spend much attention to the dancing Disney characters. Maybe children enjoy them more.

In the parks you could feel the low season. There were some site fences (Walts, Cpt. Hook's ship, a spire in Fantasyland, an area at the hub, one in Frontierland).
Good part: Waiting time @Peter Pan 25min :)

All areas were very clean and tidy. Except of course for the TOT (toilettes of terror).

Best regards,

dagobert

The bad condition of the toilets is a never ending story.

Farbauti

Oh, and I discovered a design flaw in WDS: Some of the most iconic signs are facing north.
So the Tower of Terror fassade or the great Rock'n'Roller Coaster Display are always shadowed (at least this time of the year).
Resulting in pale photos...

Best regards,