Is Disneyland Paris A Holiday For Lazy Travellers?

Started by CafeFantasia, August 03, 2011, 02:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MummytoaPrincess

I went to Disneyland Paris for the first time 3 years ago, and I am returning in a few weeks on my 4th trip, and I can't wait :) I have been lucky enough to travel quite a lot, but since becoming a single mum, I have found finding affordable, practical holidays for just me and my daughter a total nightmare. Most package holidays are based on 2 adults sharing or a family of four, which mean they are heavily penalised for a tiny family like mine.

Disneyland Paris for me is perfect. For just the 2 of us it is an affordable, enjoying trip. There isn't time to get bored or to miss social interaction and the company of other adults. 18 months ago we managed to get a cheap fortnight in Brittany in a family friends caravan. It rained, for 2 weeks solid. Turns out there isn't a whole lot to do in Finistere with a 2 year old in August in torrential rain. As a result a lot of time was spent in the caravan slowly going mad whilst watching the teletubbies in French on a dvd played I had rented from the park reception.

When my daughter is older I am very much looking forward to taking her on far more exotic holidays, but the reality is we will more than likely continue to take little trips to Disneyland Paris as well. What can I say, other than we just love it! The atmosphere, the smells, the everything! Japan, Vietnam and Canada are top of my list currently for future holidays.

Another reason we go to Disneyland Paris is because it feels a safe enough distance that if something happened my family could be there in a matter of hours. Our first trip there my daughter was taken ill towards the end of our trip. She is one who doesn't eat or drink enough when there is other stuff going on, and as a result had become quite poorly. Took her to see the Disney Doctors and they blue lighted us to hospital as they were quite worried about her. It was scary as hell being on my own with her in a foreign country with her so poorly, but one phone call to my dad and he was here with me in just over 4 hours (He lives in Belgium). At the time my daughter was 18 months old. The idea of something like that happening and us being in Japan or Canada or wherever and no one being able to get to us for days potentially scares the living hell out of me. She is 4 1/2 now and it still scares me, but less so.

Ok that was quite extensive! So yeah, I may be lazy going back to somewhere I know is safe, fun, enjoyable, easy to get to etc each year, but I would rather that than the alternative on my own with a 4 year old.

Dec 2014 Hotel New York 6 days/5 nights
Jan 2012 Bitterly cold day trip!
Feb 2011 Santa Fe 3 days/2 nights
Dec 2009 Santa Fe 4 days/3 nights
Jan 2009 Santa Fe 5 days/4 nights
NY 2001/2002 Disneyland California and California Adventure  4days/3nights

Javey74

Looking at this from a slightly different angle....

For us Disneyland Paris is a working holiday. Up early and late nights. It's a must to get the most out of being there and to appreciate the atmosphere..  ;)

Ours ends up rather military in what we are going to do, where, who and when..  :mrgreen:

If you are a family of up late and early to bed, it's a no no, and to be honest would be a waste of money and a holiday.

Certainly not for lazy types, that's a holiday you need afterwards just to recover..  :mrgreen:

Disney_Dreamer

I wouldn't say it was for lazy travellers.

The easy access via the Eurostar was a blessing for us as we don't really like to do lots of travel. None of us like flying anyway so travelling by train - which is common for my family - was the best thing. Going to Disneyland Paris is a most welcome escape from anything.

Sugaroo_

I am going to totally agree with Javey74, our trips also end up being quite military! We're there right when it opens and leave last minute. Our goal is to do all our fav rides at least twice in one day, and believe me they're not a few! We don't have kids yet so there's nothing to delay us in the mornings, we don't have to take a rest during the day or go to bed early. We basically run around like 2 crazy kids all day and by the time we get back to our hotel we are dead tired! We don't live close to DLRP, we need two planes and a train to get there, so we really appreciate our time there and make a point to get as much in during our visit as possible. So lazy holiday??? I think not!!! If I wanted a lazy holiday I'd go to an island and bum around on the beach all day.
"Have I gone mad? I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret...all the best people are."

CafeFantasia

I'm glad this topic I created is getting lots of replies. I didn't start it because I think that Disneyland Paris really IS a holiday for lazy travellers, but because I thought it was an idea worth discussing.

MissDisneyisMagical

totally agree with javey74, its a military operation for me (bf hates it!) i have to see everything no time to waste i wouldnt say it was for lazy people
<center><embed src="http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/show.swf?message=Kirsty&font=http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/fonts/plainn_lib.swf&glitter=http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/glitters/glitter78.swf&clickURL=http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/&type=0&clickLABEL=Glitter Text Maker&flashLABEL=Satisfaction.com&bevel=0&shadow=1&glow=1&blur=0&fade=0&blink=0&gb=2&ga=0.6&gi=0&gc=16210663&bb=2&bc=0&sb=7&sa=0.7&si=0&sc=0&blb=7&ls=0&fontsize=60&num=78" quality="best" wmode="

littlebitofpixiedust

Must say i totaly agree with the majority of comments on this subject! DLP is amazing, its everything one would need to escape pressures of normal life. So much fun to be had, so much too see & do! Not sure about anyone else but i know this when i come back from a trip i'm absoloutly shatterd! Legs hurt, tired ect ect. Although after a day of rest i'm thinking 'i miss that place.'

My son is 3 & a half, he is disabled & its hard to think of breaks that he can enjoy. Disney is a place where everybody can enjoy something, because there is something for everyone!

So no i dont think its for lazy people, its a non-stop holiday! Laying on the beach for a week is more lazy. But you would'nt catch me doing that all the while Disneyland Paris is open lol

12 weeks until next trip!!!!

loladelorean

This is a really interesting topic! My reasons for going to Disney are similar to everyone else's, the magic, the escapism, the ease of access. And its a very busy, active holiday for me so not lazy in the sense of being relaxing!
I have never really thought about Disney lands and experiences as a substitute for riskier travel, but now I give it some thought I suppose I categorise it differently than other holidays.
As a single person with no kids, I have quite a lot of freedom with my holidays and I try to go on at least one "real" holiday a year as well as at least one Disney trip a year. I don't mean that to sound derogatory to Disney, I think the very appeal of a Disney holiday is that its not in the real world. But other holidays serve a totally different purpose which is why i like to do both.
e.g. in 2010 I also went to Cuba, in 2011 I visited the Scottish islands and the city of Paris, and in 2012 I'm going backpacking in Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand.
Disney Visits
Oct 94 Cheyenne - Oct 00 WDW - April 03 WDW - Sept 06 DLP Day Trip - Sept 09 HNY - Nov 10 HNY - June 11 Sequoia Lodge- June 12 Sequoia Lodge - Sept 12 Cheyenne- Nov 12 Radisson - June 13 Dream Castle - Nov 14 HNY -
Feb 15 Dream Castle - Sept 15 Tokyo Disney Resort, Sheraton - Oct 15 DLP Day trip - Feb 16 Cheyenne - March 17 Newport Bay - Jan 18 Sequoia Lodge, Aug 18 daytrip

Upcoming: DLH Nov 18 - Hong Kong Disneyland, Explorers Lodge, March 19

Epcot_Boy

This has been an interesting thread to watch develop since first posted by Alan. So here's my tuppence worth :)
I have, not in recent years admittedly, travelled fairly extensively. I've stayed in some appalling places, met some appalling people and made some appalling journeys :shock: . I've woken in the morning covered in tiny Red Ants, from foot to mouth, I've eaten water rat in Thailand which was given to me as a delicacy :? I've had all my clothes stolen, including my underwear :x in Poland and the list can go on as regards some of my 'Holidays'. I used to take months planning my holidays, checking passport and visa regulations, checking that I had the right innoculations for wherever I was going to 'adventure next. I would take ages and ages finding out about security risks etc etc.
Then in 1989 I walked into Epcot and my idea of a holiday changed. In one glorious moment I turned from 'A Miltary Holiday man' to yes.........a very Lazy Tourist.
WDW and now DLrP have shown me that holidays should be fun. You shouldn't have to worry about security, food or any of the things that people used to call Experiencing a 'Real Holiday'. Even now, I have friends who believe that you haven't lived unless you've charged through the Grand Canyon or climbed Mount Everest or sailed down the Nile or.........well you get the idea.
I simply say now.........'I can't be bothered with that nonsence, I think I'll book a break to DLrP. You see there I can sail with Pirates, journey into space, travel to the depths of the ocean, explore a castle, do some shopping in America (Main Street), eat lunch in a old west Saloon and so on and on'. One phone call to DLrP reservations and the world's my oyster.
So absolutely, DLrP has made me a lazy Tourist, and thank goodness for that :thumbs:

David