The Future of Walt Disney Studios Park

Started by dagobert, August 23, 2011, 01:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dagobert

Micechat member TreoFred talked during the D23 Expo with an Imagineer about DLRP:

BTW, I finally got SOME news on France after coercing (ok, waterboarding ) the right Imagineer. Turns out the situation is eerily similar to ours. You have a great park (DL) in some level of disrepair which is being plussed up at the approach of its birthday and you've got a second gate (WDSP instead of DCA) which has been under-performing and although it has received a few new ride (like ToT, we did too) and some smaller ones (the whole Toy Story playplace like we got Monster's Inc) which triggered some 'place-making', it's still not 'winning' like Charlie Sheen would say...

... so what do you do?

... well, that's kinda why JL was visiting your WDS recently. He made the same argument about the lack of cohesive theming, the lack of character and the necessity for a large place-making project. In fact, the Imagineers already have an overall re-design similar to what they have for DCA. Yep, a big big deal

However, between the economic situation in Europe and the non finished work in the US (includiing the two major expansions on both coast), it is a matter of spreading themselves too thin. At the same time, the argument is being made for it being almost the best time for such an investment.

Bottom line: keep your fingers crossed for a major announcement from Tom Staggs closer to the end of the year, as the overall 20th of DLP gets on the way.

Or not .

But it is there RIGHT NOW, just laying on ice for a little while longer...

Maybe there is a chance that WDSP gets some placemaking and TWDC hasn't forgotten the European Disney Resort. I wonder who would pay for that, since TWDC doesn't own the resort and ED SCA has no money. Maybe TWDC realizes that they need to invest, otherwise the European resort becomes more and more an embarrassement for them. It still bears the Disney name and so it will always be associated with TWDC.

lil-shawn

I hope they will take the chance and do something about WDS. I don´t care of a third gate right now, its more important to
get a real second Disney park. I did see on Youtube the Presentation of Buena vista street, and it was realy interessting, but one statement i cant get out of my head is something like (you need to get transportet to the time and feel like you do in Main Street USA) don´t know the right words yet. but this i think we need at the Studios too, i don´t get any feeling when entering the Studios.

Another question is how they will Invest in DLP at all, since the Law rights in France are so idiotic stupid!? The only way would be to buy a lot of shares and with this money they have to invest. but i realy don´t know how that will work at all.
but this is not my problem, thats the problem disney have to deal with since 1992 with building DLP in france!

in fact they have to Invest an not just a bit, they have to spend a lot of money and i hope they will do it soon!

Columbiad

This seems amazingly promising. I seriously hope that this comes to fruition, in some form or another. WDS could be such an incredible park. The skeleton's there.

I would love to see the plans that the Imagineers have concocted for the park.

I wonder if TWDC could purchase the whole park? Leaving ED SCA to work on Parc Disneyland? Could that happen?

smurfy74

makes Ratatouille seem more likely as it would be really immersive looking at the concept art so fingers crossed

Josh

Quote from: "Columbiad"I wonder if TWDC could purchase the whole park? Leaving ED SCA to work on Parc Disneyland? Could that happen?
As nice as that would be, I don't thin the French government would be very happy about that. :(
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

Josh

Oh, I just remembered! I noticed big construction cranes behind the studios when I went on the Tram Tour a couple of days ago. Could that be related to an expansion, or are they just expanding the back stage areas?

Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

CafeFantasia

Those cranes are either for that new water filtering facility, or new apartments in Val d'Europe. One of the two.

mehdi5

Quote from: "Alan"Those cranes are probably for that new water filtering facility, or new apartments in Val d'Europe. One of the two.
Propably the former, seems a bit close for Val d'Europe related activities.

andrewuk

Its good to know that the plan is a proper DCA-scale one, not something cooked up by EDSCA management. I thought they just had the next attractions and where they were going to put them in mind until now. :D
July 2003 My Travel Explorers
May 2004 Sequoia Lodge
July 2006 Patio St Antoine @Nation (RER commute to DLRP)
December 2007 Kyriad Val de France
August 2009 Hotel New York
May 2015 Hotel Cheyenne

CafeFantasia

The good thing is, as with a lot of things in life, the biggest problems tend to get the highest priority. The bigger the problem, the more likely it is to get noticed.

So the fact that the Walt Disney Studios Park is currently the worst Disney theme park in the World, could work in our favour :-)

Vegitabeta

Well it seemed to work for California Adventure!

peter

Quote from: "Alan"So the fact that the Walt Disney Studios Park is currently the worst Disney theme park in the World, could work in our favour :-)

:D

I'd heard that people found it hard to talk to anyone, so the fact that this guy manger to is great. I had no idea that dca was in a similar situation to us. But... They have a plan!!!!! How great, and the plan will need to begin soon, because they have no where to go unless major changes are made. But they're ready for the future, and that makes me ecstatic

davewasbaloo

FWIW, I preferred DCA to most of the WDW parks. Sadly, a lot of what I liked about it has been ripped out and toons have been shoved in.
since 2001 (many before that)