Your Impression of Walt Disney Studios Park

Started by dagobert, May 11, 2011, 04:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dagobert

Next year, not only the whole resort turns twenty, but also the Walt Disney Studios Park celebrates its tenth anniversary.

When the park opened most Disney Parks fans were disappointed and I have to admit I didn't like the park, too, when I first visited in 2006. I have been to DLRP before, but WDS wasn't open yet. The park was small,  you have done all attraction within a few hours and the theming was and is still bad, at least in my opinion.

In 2008 we visited Walt Disney World and I really enjoyed Disney's Hollywood Studios a lot. The park is very well themed and the attractions, a mix of thrill rides, shows, exhibitions, musicals and dark rides, were great. After that I was even more disappointed with the sister park in France.

In the same year we returned to DLRP and I don't know why, but I really enjoyed WDS. With the addition of TOT, Hollywood Blvd. and Crush's Coaster, the park had some lovely areas, although it is still far away from the theming found in DHS in Florida. The attractions found in both parks are better in Paris than Orlando, I think that's because, they are newer. In addition WDS features one of the best Disney attractions: Cinemagique!

Although WDS is still small and needs more theming, the park has very good attractions which are really worth to do.

In my opinion the park isn't already a "real" Disney park, but until TSPL opened, it was on the way to become one. I don't want to start a new discussion about the recent additions, but I still think it ruined the Studios theme, since according to some Imagineers, the park was designed to resemble a Movie Studio.

There are still a lot of people who hate the park, but over the last ten years WDS improved and now I really like to spend my time there. Of course it is not as beautiful as DLP and lacks attractions, restaurants, shops and more theming, but with the addition of the rumoured Ratatouille ride including a shop and a restaurant, the park is on a good way.

So what do you think about Walt Disney Studios? Do you hate the park or do you think the park deserves to use the name "Walt Disney"? What would you want to see in the future?

SM:M3

In one word; Meh.
It's not bad but the fact that if I were to go back to DLP I wouldn't devote any more than three-quarters of a day to it says a lot. As for future additions, unfortunately Toy Story Playland continues what was set up with Toon Studio, which personally I don't like.
I'd like the park to go a similar way to Universal Orlando, where instead of being a "real studio" you, as Universal put it, "ride the movies", giving a much more artistic license.
Anyway, I think this could be an interesting topic.

davewasbaloo

Hmmm, with the age of my kids, we can actually spend a full day and another half enjoying the place. While WDSP is not the greatest park ever, to me, it has always been better than the sister park in Florida in so many ways. What is painful is that although ToT and the additions over the years have made it look better, they have cut the entertainment. When WDSP first opened, it was FULL of entertainment. I remember one day alone seeing 8 different muscial groups and 3 streetmousphere groups. It was a real Disney park in that guise, something that had been lacking from DLP since aboue 1996. And for that I fell in love. I have been in real TV/film studios in the US and UK, and WDSP was well themed, in that it looked like a Studio. And that was the problem for so many.

It has always been the most civilised place to meet characters too. So I have a lot of love for the place (we can easily spend an hour as a family in the Art of Animation - drawing zoetropes is one of my daughter's favourite things in the whole resort).  Cinemagique and Moteurs Action I think are 2 of the best things Disney has ever produced outside of a MK style park, and our version of Tower of Terror and RNR Coaster beat Fla IMHO (as does the tram tour).

What the park needs is a body of water somewhere, an evening show, a family dark ride, and a good highly themed table service restaurant to round it out IMHO, then it would be really great.

Stitch Live and Playhouse Disney are better than the Disney Channel Tour, and I prefer Stitch Live to Turtle Talk. I actually really like Armageddon (though I was annoyed they did it in French the other week when 90% said they were English speakers - it is designed to be bilingual - I can speak French, but my family cannot, if we were in the minority, fine, but we weren't). And Animagique was cute.

Let us not talk about the post ToT additions however.
since 2001 (many before that)

spicy

I really like the studios and really like to spend the day there. I personally I have never understood how people say you can do all the attractions in half a day, if you run round like a maniac rushing everything you probably could, but if you do that no wonder you don't enjoy the park.

For thrills its a great park with RnR, ToT and Crush (RC maybe? Can't comment there as I haven't been since TSPL was added)

For shows its brilliant, Moteurs action is one of my favourite shows, Animagique is really nice and Cinemagique is brilliant.

Then you have the parade, Armageddon, tram tour, Stitch, TSPL, Cars, Animation, Carpets, theres really is bundles at the Studios now.  :)

I also just really like the atmosphere of walking through Studio 1, gives you that Disney feeling that your at DLP and about to have a great day  :D/

Oh and I love that little caravan restaurant at the back by Moteurs, really nice and cosy in there.

So yeah Studio's gets a big  :thumbs: from me!

davewasbaloo

And the Studios had a fantastic jazz band on the other week. When was the last time you saw a fantastic large music group at DLP?
since 2001 (many before that)

dagobert

I have never seen any live bands in the parks.

Quote from: "spicy"I really like the studios and really like to spend the day there. I personally I have never understood how people say you can do all the attractions in half a day, if you run round like a maniac rushing everything you probably could, but if you do that no wonder you don't enjoy the park.

In 2006 we did all attractions except the former Television Tour in half a day. We have been there in April and the crowds were low and back then there were only a few rides. And you are right, I didn't enjoy the park a lot and so we just rushed through the park. There was no greenery, just a few buildings, no shops and WDS didn't feel like a Disney park to me.

But in 2008 it changed and now we like to spend some time there, although we have never spent the whole day there. We always hop between the parks. The walking distance is a huge advantage of DLRP.

Columbiad

I do like the park - what is has is great. The entrance courtyard, Studio One, Hollywood Blvd., Tower of Terror and the Toon Studio Expansion (incl. Toy Story Playland) all have thumbs up from me (albeit Toon Studios needs some sort of sign that its still a working studio area eg A place the toons go to work).

In terms of size, I dont mind it being small at all, in fact I think it works better as a smaller park, but they really need to beef it up a bit, cram it with a few rides and better themeing before expanding or building second-class rides. All it needs it themeing. And greenery.

If you keep your eyes up (away from the tarmac) it isnt bad at all - just needs a wee bit filling inbetween what it has. Ok - a lot of filling. PUMP IN THAT FILLING, EURODISNEY.

dagobert

Quote from: "Columbiad"In terms of size, I dont mind it being small at all, in fact I think it works better as a smaller park, but they really need to beef it up a bit, cram it with a few rides and better themeing before expanding or building second-class rides. All it needs it themeing. And greenery.

DHS is also a smaller park, and there we did nearly all attraction in less than a day and still had time to go to another park. What do you mean with second-class rides? I consider carnival rides like the ones in TSPL as second class rides.  Totally agree that WDS needs more greenery, a nicer theming and a lake. I would prefere a lake at the end of an expanded Hollywood Blvd. In addition the park desperately needs a first class ride, like a heavily themed family dark ride. For me the new Little Mermaid attraction at DCA would be such an attraction. Hopefully Ratatouille will be such a ride.

Columbiad

Quote from: "dagobert"What do you mean with second-class rides? I consider carnival rides like the ones in TSPL as second class rides.... In addition the park desperately needs a first class ride, like a heavily themed family dark ride.

Yeah - whislt the TSPL rides add some fun and greenery and colour to the park, it can't be denied that they are basic rides. But I think the park needs both amazing rides (like dark rides) and not-so-amazing rides. The park needs some filler.  

Ratatouille will hopefully be a fantastic addition. Whilst I'm jumping for joy at the possibilty of its addition, I can't help feeling the other areas of the park need a bit of TLC first, before they carry on plussung Toon Studio.

I'd love to see some substantial facade's for Rock and Rollercoaster, or Armageddon, or Moteurs...Action!. Or to see Production Courtyard given a Theatre makeover or a 1960s Television studios feel.

dagobert

Quote from: "Columbiad"Yeah - whislt the TSPL rides add some fun and greenery and colour to the park, it can't be denied that they are basic rides. But I think the park needs both amazing rides (like dark rides) and not-so-amazing rides. The park needs some filler.  

Ratatouille will hopefully be a fantastic addition. Whilst I'm jumping for joy at the possibilty of its addition, I can't help feeling the other areas of the park need a bit of TLC first, before they carry on plussung Toon Studio.

I'd love to see some substantial facade's for Rock and Rollercoaster, or Armageddon, or Moteurs...Action!. Or to see Production Courtyard given a Theatre makeover or a 1960s Television studios feel.

I totally agree with you that the park needs TLC and I can't wait to see the Theatre makeover for Production Courtyard. Nevertheless I think at the moment it is more important that WDS gets a family dark ride. After Ratatouille the focus should be on transforming Prodcution Courtyard and Backlot. Honestly I like the Backlot area, except the exterior of RnRC, because it looks a lot like a movie studio I have visited in Germany a few years ago.

Vegitabeta

Too much concrete, I wish they would put a nice little lake in or something!  I'm also not too amused with Toy Story Playland...Well, Walt IS pointing you in the direction of the other park!

spicy

^It looks like a movie studio? I think that Disney have achieved what they set out to do then..?

Riebi

The problem is, that people that pay much money won´t see a real movie studio. They want a studio of dreams. I worked a long period in a real movie and TV studio. It wasn´t nice/yellow/green. Studios are concret fields where everything is just one thing:  handy. Big routes, big doors much technical support. Nothing you want to see.

For me WDS made a big step over the last year. They had much investments. We have to see that while we are complaining that TWDC forget Paris.

The point is: To switch a real studio into a studio of dreams is a long process. For me they are now maybe near their starting point. WDS in 2011 could be the park that they needed nearly 10 years before, with some additional theming in some areas.
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

dagobert

Quote from: "Riebi"The problem is, that people that pay much money won´t see a real movie studio. They want a studio of dreams. I worked a long period in a real movie and TV studio. It wasn´t nice/yellow/green. Studios are concret fields where everything is just one thing:  handy. Big routes, big doors much technical support. Nothing you want to see.

For me WDS made a big step over the last year. They had much investments. We have to see that while we are complaining that TWDC forget Paris.

The point is: To switch a real studio into a studio of dreams is a long process. For me they are now maybe near their starting point. WDS in 2011 could be the park that they needed nearly 10 years before, with some additional theming in some areas.

I think that's the point! WDS will never be a real working studio, like the Universal Studios in Hollywood. There the themepark is just adjacent to a real movie studio. In Florida Disney tried to create a real movie studio inside a themepark, but now it is closed. The same in Paris with WD Feature Animation. Maybe it would really be better to create a studio of dreams, like Riebi called it. DHS is also dedicated to the Hollywood that never was and always will be.

andrewuk

I agree with all of you! I think that the park gets a lot of stick (especially on another forum), but the attractions mostly are excellent and front lot must be one of the best entrances to any park in the world. I do find it frustrating that the greening and theming of the original areas could be done relatively cheaply and quickly (just look at how Hollywood Boulevard and the Paris street arrived) but we still have these expanses of dull concrete and tarmac.
July 2003 My Travel Explorers
May 2004 Sequoia Lodge
July 2006 Patio St Antoine @Nation (RER commute to DLRP)
December 2007 Kyriad Val de France
August 2009 Hotel New York
May 2015 Hotel Cheyenne