DWB pre trip report

Started by davewasbaloo, February 04, 2011, 10:11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davewasbaloo

Glad you are enjoying it. I am still putting more on line, though I am having probs with FB at the mo.
since 2001 (many before that)

davewasbaloo

Glad you guys are enjoying it. Here is Strasbourg.

Day 9, April 18th - the amazing Strasbourg and the sublime Hotel Colosseo at Europa Park in Germany

WOW! Today was amazing. We woke up in our jr suite, plenty of room for all of us. We quickly got dressed and admired the smart looking people going to the space training centre next to us. I checked us out and we headed to the tram line to go into Strasbourg. These trams were amazing, every 3 minutes and very futuristic. When we got into central Strasbourg, we figured some breakfast was in order, so we went to a wonderful patisarie and chocolateer.

I opted for a Struessel (light bread covered in sugar and cinnamon) with a coffee, Sarah had a raison brioche and coffee, jessice had milk chocolate covered corn flakes and an ice tea, and Mikey opted for a croissant and OJ. We all shared a fabulous giant chocolate Macaroon. Delicious.

After our breakfast, we then strolled up to the Gutenburg Square. This town has an amazing history of learning and diplomacy, with royals, and scholars such as Voltaire and Gutenburg (who supposedly came up with his idea for a press while here), as well as Dr Albert Scweitzer (one of my heroes) preaching here, and Mozart, Hayden and Wagner all either wrote or performed here. Also, the French national anthem was also composed in Strasbourg. And like the American Civil War, in WWII, there were brothers who fought each other.

We enjoyed visiting the amazing cathedral and the organ was incredible. The kids keep asking what the candles are for, so we explained. They then asked if we could light one for Jelly Bean, who we lost too young. They were willing to spend their own money. Bless. We did light a candle in remembrance, which brought a tear (and no, we didn't charge the kids). And then explored the rest of the amazing building including the wonderful astronomical clock.

As we left the 700 year old cathedral, we strolled down to the river and took a wonderful 75 minute cruise around the town (literally). We took in the wonderful half timber houses, went through canal locks, enjoyed the sites of 15th century petite france, the medieval covered bridges and the very modern and wonderful sights of the European Parliament, Congress, and Court of Human rights. It was great!

We then went to another bakers to grab some chicken and broccoli quiches, quiche lorraine, pretzels, and gingerbread. We had a picnic on the steps to the cathedral looking out at a mansion while listening to live music! It was great (the temps were about 23/24C, 76-78F). We then visited an amazing hand made sweet shop and before long, we were back on the tram, heading back to the car.

We left the University and then headed across the Rhine, into Germany, enroute to Europa Park, our destination for the next few days. When we arrived at the italian themed Hotel Colosseo, we were amazed. Given we were married at Cesar's Tahoe, and the fact it is our wedding anniversary this trip, it had to be done.

Part 2 to come with a Hotel Colloseo album

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/? ... 878fa9e615

davewasbaloo

Ok, the first of the Europa Park pics are coming. We were amazed. I had heard good things, but no where near as good as we encountered. While the hotel is not perfect (no turn down or a/c or a safe, but they only state themselves as a 4* - well with those exceptions, they beat out every Disney hotel I have ever stayed in - all the DLP hotels, many in WDW inc AKL, The Grand Californian and DLH in Anaheim. It was Vegas quality for families!!!! We loved it. The attention to detail, little surprise presents including book marks magically appearing in our books (though Phantasialand topped this, more info later).

It was an amazing hotel.

When we arrived at the italian themed Hotel Colosseo, we were amazed. Given we were married at Cesar's Tahoe, and the fact it is our wedding anniversary this trip, it had to be done.

The parking lot is underground so as not to spoil the theme (even though you can see Spanish themed hotels and rides across the road). Walking back from the parking lot, there is a fantastic Leonardo Da Vinci inspired water clock. At the front of the hotel is an amazing fountain, and a renaissance style port corture. Inside, the lobby has a wonderful mural on the ceiling of the atrium and a manakin in a Swiss Guard's uniform. The lady that checks us in can speak 4 languages, but we check in with German and she speaks English to Sarah and the kids. The kids relish the sweets she gives them. After giving us a comprehensive information park, we go up to the top floor to our room. This hotel won the best family hotel in Europe on trip advisor for good reason. The room is amazing and spacious, witha wonderful Da Vinci theme including an incredible bunk bed for the kids.

Our room overlooks the piazza with a great reproduction of the Coliseum (hence the name of the hotel), replete with real burning torches in the evening. This building houses the Spa, pool area, and suites. It also overlooks the fountain which is an interactive water maze at first, but every hour erupts into a wonderfully choreographed show, and every show is different.

There are also lots of things to see in the piazza including live goats for easter.

Going down for dinner, we explore the hotel further. It has 2 shops, a beauty parlour (with a great Venitian barber touch). The interactive kids area is also wonderful, with a "amptheatre" to watch roman themed cartoons on the big screen, interactive computer kiosks with touch screens and a chance to change the languages, and the best bit is the adventure playground that looks like it is Leonardo Da Vinci's workshop, amazing.

Going into dinner, the halls are filled with Venitian light fixtures. And the restaurants are amazingly themed. The first room is a roman cellar, full of candles, fires, pots, coins and roman centurian armour. The next restaurant is like a venitian palace with a plentiful buffet. The next restaurant, The Medici, where we dined, is themed with crystal chandeliers and renaisance painting reproductions such as the last supper. Beneath our feet is a glass floor with the wine vaults and a private dining room with italian medieval theming. And at the very end, is Cesar's fine dining room (I was not convinced the kids were in the right frame of mind for such an experience. Our restaurant was busy and the weather warm, so we chose to take dinner out on the terrace.

From our table, as the sun set, we could watch the magic of the night come to life, the torches bursting into flame, the fountain show erupting to oohs and awes, and we had a live guitarist and vocalist regale us with traditional italian songs.

The romans served us and the portions were massive. The kids had chicken escalopes with a neopolitan sauce and spagetti. Jess drank Mezzomix (Orange coke) and Mike, coke. I had the mixed antipasta (parma ham, salami, mixed olives, sun dried tomatoes, with tomato bread and pepperincini bread. Mmmm, I then had a mixed cheese, spring onion and parma ham pasta. Sarah had a huge steak cesar salad followed by a chicken and oriental potaoes main. All washed down with a wonderful Italian Rose. Lovely.

Our 2 and a half hour dining experience allowed us to watch a number of performances, we were very full, and it was a lot cheaper than Disney. We then enjoyed touring the rest of the hotel (each area is themed to different parts of Italy). Then we returned to our room and enjoyed another fountain show before bed. Amazing.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/? ... 2840af86e7

dagobert

WOW, that hotel and the food puts Disneyland Paris to shame. Now I understand Disney why they don't advertise their resort in Germany. I really want to know what the ED SCA management and the representatives of WD Parks & Resorts thought when they visited Europa Park two years ago.

Honestly, it makes me a bit angry that the world's biggest entertainment company neglects their European Magic Kingdom so much that the resort hotels, the food and some attractions can't be on the same level of parks with a lower budget.

davewasbaloo

I know, and that is why I get crabby with people that defend Disney blindly. Yes, I love Disney, and Disney used to put on this level of show. But they have gotten lazy and there is a generation of park goers who do not know how they used to be. I loved EP, but I would rather Disney blew these guys out of the water.

But there is one big difference. The Disney I fell in love with was still run by Walt's family and was still staffed by people that worked with him. Just like Europa Park is run by the MACK family. Family and private run businesses may not have the budget, but they have vision, and a dream that is more than about profits. Publically held companies do not have the same mentality.

Of course, there are steel based attractions and the AA's are not as good. But overall, I would say that EP gives guests a better overall experience than Disney, and the queues are fast running (no fastpass, makes a huge difference). Yes, you will not necessarily find something as ornate as Big Thunder or Star Tours, but overall, this place is increadible in it's own way. More pics to come.

davewasbaloo

When I was first looking into the place, I was concerned it would all be carnival and steel rides, afterall that is what MACK is known for, is it not? I could not be more wrong.

Imagine taking a highly themed Cedar Point, the charm and class of old school Knott's Berry Farm, the professionalism and OTT shows approach of Vegas, and the cleanliness and maintenance standards of Walt's Disney, with some uniquities as well. That is what you get with Europa Park. My children's fav in the world, and a fierce rival for Disney's attentions in my heart. This place is awesome, and after three nights and two days in the park, we still did not do it all.

For the folks who may not be aware, Europa Park is owned by the Mack family, they started over 150 years ago as makers of circus wagons and fun fair vehicles/rides. They then became more sophisticated over the years, After a family vacation to Walt Disney World, they were inspired to build their own park to showcase their products. This was the company that brought the world the water coaster (sea world bought Journey to Atlantis from them, and I believe they are the company that provided Disney with Francis' Lady Bug Boogie and Cars Race Rally. Because it is a showcase, they run their attractions at pretty much full capacity (Disney and others take ride vehicles off if a little quieter, EP does not.

As for the shows, because of their roots in the Circus arts, they try to hire some of Europe's best. And they are amazing.

Then almost every land is themed to a european country including costumes, music, food and merchandise in the shops. It is great. Plus their are beautiful gardens, a real palace from the renaissance, street performers, craftsmen, and so much more.

It is a very kinetic park, and one that is a joy to just be in, even if you do not ride everything. There is something for everyone, and the place is huge.

They have ripped a few ideas from Disney such as the Universe of Energy, Pirates in Batavia, the Haunted Castle, Jungle Cruise and a few others, and of course they are not as detailed as Disney, but they have their charm and are of at least a dozen dark rides.

Then for the thrill seekers, there are tons of Mack rides, plus two beautiful B&M attractions, Silver Star and Blue Fire.

Every where we have dined has had live entertainment, and the hotels are sublime. Plus the weather has been in the upper 70's with sunshine!

The attractions are finely maintained, as are the gardens, the music is wonderful, and the shows are first rate.

On the first morning, we went in for EMH and enjoyed the spinning fair rides of the Spanish fiesta, then on the monorail and train to get our bearings. We enjoyed expereincing the attractions of the Scandanavia area (the rapid ride is one of my fav versions anywhere, only beaten by the uniquities of Grizzly River Run in Disney's California Adventure. But I would say this is probably the best rapids in Europe.

We went on the Pirates in Batavia ride, which is a rip off of Pirates of the Caribbean, with a slightly lower budget, but it is cool, and unpc. set in South East Asia in a dutch colony, it is a fab cross between the PotC, the Jungle Cruise, and 1001 Nights type attraction. It even runs through a restaurant where we had a splendid Thai/Chinese fusion lunch (for less than 25 euros - £22.50, $34 total). In the peak season, they have asian acrobats performing as well. Loved it!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/? ... 07a7da9375

dagobert

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"But there is one big difference. The Disney I fell in love with was still run by Walt's family and was still staffed by people that worked with him. Just like Europa Park is run by the MACK family. Family and private run businesses may not have the budget, but they have vision, and a dream that is more than about profits. Publically held companies do not have the same mentality.

Of course, there are steel based attractions and the AA's are not as good. But overall, I would say that EP gives guests a better overall experience than Disney, and the queues are fast running (no fastpass, makes a huge difference). Yes, you will not necessarily find something as ornate as Big Thunder or Star Tours, but overall, this place is increadible in it's own way. More pics to come.

Don't get me started on fastpass. I admit that we used them each time, but without FP the lines would be much shorter and that would add to everyone's benefit. We have been to cedar Point and there the crowds were also huge, but that park doesn't use a fastpass system. There the lines at the E-ticket rides moved faster with more people queuing than at SM, EE, BTM or RNRC. That's why I was very sceptical when Disney announced the new system where people can book their ride times at home.

I think that's the biggest advantage that Europa Park is run by a family. I wonder if Disney visited the park and the MACK company to buy new rides or to see how that family runs the second most popular park in Europe. The family knows that they can't compete with the huge TWDC and DLRP, but they know that they have to create something special to attract people. And they are doing a great job! Disney is still the number one in the theme park industry, but other parks are catching up or do already some things better than Disney. For instance Harry Potter at Universal or the hotels at Europa Park.

Disney really got lazy in the last ten years. I really thought that those times were gone when Mr. Eisner left the company. I think I read in James B. Stewart's book "Disney War" that Michael Eisner said, when TWDC opened the cheap and ugly DCA, that as long as Disney stands over the park, people will come. He was so wrong, but unfortunately the current Team Disney, especially in Paris and WDW, still thinks a bit that way. Although things are improving, especially in Anaheim, it is still a long way to go. For example Universal Studios Orlando is doing a great job, while nothing happens at WDW, except a new Fantasyland and the management of WDW was forced by Mr. Staggs to expand and add new attractions.

When Roy E. Disney died, the company lost its soul. It's really sad that there is no Disney family member involved in Disney. The Disney Family is doing a great job with the WD Family Museum, but they don't have the rights to Walt Disney's likeness and so they have to ask Disney for permission when they want to do something new. That clearly shows that TWDC is a soulless huge company that doesn't care anymore about the principles Walt Disney had. Sorry for being off topic, but it is a bit frustrating.

dagobert

It's really hard to catch up with your updates!

Isn't Austria presented at the park at well? Hopefully they did it well, otherwise I will not visit the park. :lol:

By the way, did you go to the restaurant with the food coaster?

davewasbaloo

Agreed, same thing with Knott's Berry Farm, when it was run by Walter Knott and his family, it was great, almost as good as DL. Then Cedar Point bought it and I am not sure I will return. They have ruined it. Much like Iger is ruining Disney.

The Austria Area is not bad - very green, with log flumes and a mine train. The Switzerland area is more impressive however. and yes, we went to food loop on the second day, so you will have to keep reading ;)

It was all so cool

Laura678

I can't wait to read more!

I was only in Europa Park once at Halloween 2003 on a school tour so time was limited as was daylight! Seeing your pictures and reading your impressions has made me want to return as soon as I can!
[size=150]All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them - Walt Disney[/size]

davewasbaloo

Once is better than never. But I cannot wait to get back. If it were not for the 20th next year, I think we would skip DLP in favour of EP next year.

dagobert

After looking at your pictures, Mack clearly looked at WDW when they built the park. There is a monorail or a geodesic sphere, like Spaceship Eart. Is there also an attraction inside and is it the same kind of monorail that WDW uses?

davewasbaloo

In the sphere is a dinosaur ride and a roller coaster in the dark like Space Mountain (no loops, US style). The monorail is slightly different, it is a MACK made one, Alton towers in the UK uses the same one.

sven

You're putting out the updates at an enormous pace, great read!

As the german parks are kind of my home turf, I hope it's ok if I correct you on two things.

Cars Race Rally is italian-made by Zamperla, like the english Cabs at Europapark. So not all flatrides are Mack-made in the park.

And Blue Fire is not by B&M but by Mack.
Their progress in the making of rollercoasters is impressive, you can clearly experience it in the park. Pegasus and Blue Fire were made with the new process and lightyears away of Euro-MIR oder Euro-SAT, for example.

davewasbaloo

Oh, thanks for the corrections. I don't want to get my facts wrong. But thanks, I am trying to get everything up while it is fresh. And Blue Fire is Mack, even more impressive. It is my wife's fav. I cannot wait until I am small enough to ride it!