TEA & AECOM Report of the 2010 Global Themepark Attendance

Started by dagobert, June 17, 2011, 11:13:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dagobert

The official TEA & AECOM report of the 2010 Global Theme Park Attendance Numbers has been released:

http://www.themeit.com/etea/2010Report.pdf

Of course Disneyland Paris was still the number one thempark in Europe last year, but attendance at both parks dropped by 2.6% for DLP and 2.6% for WDS.

In 2010 DLP had 10.5 mio visitors while WDS had 4.5 mio.

Europe Top 5:
1. Disneyland Park - 10.5 mio (-2.6%)
2. Walt Disney Studios - 4.5 mio (-2.6%)
3. Europa Park - 4.25 mio (0.0%)
4. De Efteling - 4.0 mio (0.0%)
5. Tivoli Gardens - 3.696 mio (-4.5%)

USA Top 10:
1. Magic Kingdom - 16.972 mio (-1.5%)
2. Disneyland - 15.980 mio (0.5%)
3. EPCOT - 10.825 mio (-1.5%)
4. Animal Kingdom - 9.686 mio (1.0%)
5. Disney's Hollywood Studios - 9.603 mio (-1.0%)
6. California Adventure Park - 6.278 mio (3.0%)
7. Islands of Adventure - 5.949 mio (30.2%)
8. Universal Studios Orlando - 5.925 mio (6.1%)
9. SeaWorld Florida - 5.1 mio (-12.1%)
10. Universal Studios Hollywood - 5.04 mio (26.0%)

Have you seen the huge increase at Universal Studios Orlando, Hollywood and Islands of Adventure. That's going to happen when great attractions, like Harry Potter are built. Even DCA could increase the attendance, while WDW remains static.

Asia Top 5:
1. Tokyo Disneyland - 14.452 mio (5.9%)
2. Tokyo DisneySea - 12.663 mio (5.5%)
3. Universal Studios Japan - 8.160 mio (2.0%)

6. Hong Kong Disneyland - 5.200 mio (13.0%)
7. Ocean Park - 5.100 mio (6.3%)

Top 10 Worldwide:
1. Magic Kingdom
2. Disneyland
3. Tokyo Disneyland
4. Tokyo DisneySea
5. EPCOT
6. Disneyland Paris
7. Animal Kingdom
8. Disney's Hollywood Studios
9. Universal Studios Japan
10. Everland South Korea
11. California Adventure Park
12. Islands of Adventure
13. Universal Studios Hollywood

15. Hong Kong Disneyland
19. Walt Disney Studios Park
20. Europa Park

davewasbaloo

Ok, a few things to think about here that you may not be aware of. Disney parks cannot be accurate as they use the "first click" system for tallying attendance. e.g. if you are at Marne la Valee and you go into DLP for EMH and then hop to WDSP, the count for that day goes to DLP, not WDSP. Same with DCA, they have shown a slight rise, but a lot of folks go to DL first (which opens before DCA) and then into DCA for the evening to enjoy WoC, Electronica etc. Same in Florida, many folks will go to a park in the day and then to Epcot for Illuminations or DHS if F! is on, those evening visits do not count. Interesting huh?

Also, something else to consider, that jump at IOA is huge, but the WWoHP was only open for 6 months during this reporting period, people stayed away before it opened. Imagine what the figures could look like next year.

Also, it is interesting to look at Europe. My kids prefer Europa Park to DLP, and instead of going to DLP for the summer, we have opted to go to De Efteling. I hope those two parks really pick up (I think they will, Ravelign this year and the new fountain show at Efteling I think will have a big impact).

I bet Merlin are a little sore, none of their parks appear in this list. Very interesting.

Coming on to DLP though, a 2.6% drop in attendance. I know they will put it down to the economy (despite the growth in other parks around the globe), when I think they really need to consider that the poor TSPL, aweful Magical Moments, dumpy hotels, and terrible marketing and advertising are likely a larger cause.
since 2001 (many before that)

davewasbaloo

Also, I will feel for Tokyo when the figures are out. To think they hab 18m visitors to TDL in 1998.

davewasbaloo

The other irony here, is I think one of the very worst parks, and certainly one of the worst Disney parks, is at the top of the tree. The Tragic Kingdom, most visited and least invested in (and why would they with the current mind set). One exec I know says he never bothers with Florida because it is so aweful and there is no will to invest in the MK.

Adam

Over on DLP.info, they have had a look at the figures and they aren't quite as they seem. Full details are here: http://www.dlp.info/News/2011/06/2010-v ... -from-tea/

But in summary:

Disneyland Park is down 17.6% year on year
Walt Disney Studios is up 69.5% year on year

Overall, Disneyland Paris is down 2.6% overall, so putting 2.6% down for both parks is actually inaccurate.

However, it is rather interesting to look at the parks. Walt Disney Studios has had a significant boost for where people visit first in the parks. The difficulty for the management is to work out why this has happened - is it down to the new rides, people purchasing tickets for just one park rather than both due to the tough economic conditions, regular visitors preferring to visit the studios as they have already "done" the park enough, trying to avoid the crowds in the studios by visiting earlier or people visiting the studios for part of the day and then going out?

Internally, I assume that DLP have details of where people actually go, so will know how they are visiting the parks during their stays. I expect they would love for you to put your ticket in on the way out to gather more data, but it is too much hastle!

andrewuk

Well its the first time that WDS has 'officially' hit the no. 2 spot in Europe so that's something to be happy about. We all knew that last year wasn't so good, and in fact a drop of only 2.6% isn't as bad as it could have been, and the signs are that things are getting somewhat better. It looks like a total of 15 - 15.5 million is the normal now, but even that doesn't seem to bring guaranteed profit. Really not sure what Disney's sums are telling them, but I would think that with Europe coming out of recession they need to get out of the 'weathering the storm' mentality; they should want to get more people in and raise guest spending. Which would suggest new things to see, do and buy should now be a priority.  [-o<
July 2003 My Travel Explorers
May 2004 Sequoia Lodge
July 2006 Patio St Antoine @Nation (RER commute to DLRP)
December 2007 Kyriad Val de France
August 2009 Hotel New York
May 2015 Hotel Cheyenne