Duffy the Disney Bear

Started by Malin, January 14, 2011, 11:22:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captain rocket

Yep, you either love him or hate him! perhaps he should have been called marmite bear!!

DutchBrit

Quote from: "captain rocket"Yep, you either love him or hate him! perhaps he should have been called marmite bear!!

On here the views are pretty polarised, but I think Duffy's fate was sealed in the park where it was not love or hate but "Meh".  I think a character has to be pretty well known and popular to make the normal visitor consider wasting valuable time queuing up for them, in Europe at least. So in the end Duffy was just another guy/gal in a bear suit, the like of which you can see in any shopping centre/kids event.

(Also I must admit of feeling slightly proud of my fellow Europeans for not falling for these particular marketing wiles. Yay us!)

littlemermaid83

Quote from: "Scissorsboi"The reason I don't agree with him being in the parks, is that the other characters you see are all related to a movie or story which ties it to the park, Duffy is purely there to push sales of a plush bear and his overpriced 'costumes'. If it was a case of say, a Baloo bear from Tailspin, where you could dress him up with outfit he collected whilst flying around the world I'd have no issue with it - he is a Disney character, with a Disney story, which fits it's timeline. Duffy is a generic bear, with no background, and no link to anything but his product.

But Duffy does has his own back story. Maybe you need to read his book?
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

DutchBrit

Quote from: "littlemermaid83"But Duffy does has his own back story. Maybe you need to read his book?

Maybe you don't. It's a front story, not a back story. Marketing came up with a product idea unrelated to any existing Disney character, then invented a story to try and justify it. Unlike the usual (and I'd say, acceptable) process which is story, animation of character, release movie, make merchandise.

There is a lot of Mickey merchandise, but the character is not (primarily) walking round the parks just to sell a bit more of that and that's not why people queue up for ages to see him. But selling stuff is all the Duffy character is there for.

Scissorsboi

Duffy doesn't have a back story, Duffy has a few lines quickly put together to explain why there is a 7ft tall bear standing in the park enticing you to buy his products.

As I said, I'd have no problem if they used and existing property with this concept, but just because Japan has fallen for the charms of a generic bear, doesn't mean we should water down our park. The rights to the character could be used to pay for a recent film character appearance - Maybe a Brave Meet and Greet..
"...keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things" - Walt.

littlemermaid83

Quote from: "Scissorsboi"Duffy doesn't have a back story, Duffy has a few lines quickly put together to explain why there is a 7ft tall bear standing in the park enticing you to buy his products.

As I said, I'd have no problem if they used and existing property with this concept, but just because Japan has fallen for the charms of a generic bear, doesn't mean we should water down our park. The rights to the character could be used to pay for a recent film character appearance - Maybe a Brave Meet and Greet..

I'd rather have Duffy over Merida to be honest.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

petals

Why can't Duffy and Merida both have a place in the park? I like Duffy I think he's cute.

littlemermaid83

Quote from: "petals"Why can't Duffy and Merida both have a place in the park? I like Duffy I think he's cute.

It's all down to money!

tinkerbell17

Hi all do any of you think duffy while appear for the christmas season  thanks in advance . :mickey2:  :minnie:

captain rocket

I believe he may be scheduled for Christmas, as well as appearing on the final float of Disney Magic on Parade daily, after all Christmas will be a good marketing opportunity for Duffy merchandise. If you are really desperate, there is a large Duffy in the book shop acting as a "cashier".

DisneyManiac

Happy Halloween! Have a spooktacular day!

ilovedisneylandparis

For any Duffy fans - here he is on the InsideDLParis Twitter page dressed as a pirate for Halloween! :D

https://twitter.com/i/#!/InsideDLParis/ ... 2FhSLfvnzs

DisneyManiac

What!? The Pumpkin Men are back?!

ilovedisneylandparis

Yes! Looks like a surprise thing :D

littlemermaid83

We was lucky to watch the show before the public and meet the cast. Duffy looked so cute!!