Fantasyland Arch/Sign

Started by Festival Disney, November 19, 2010, 08:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Festival Disney

Does anyone know when/why the sign spanning the two turrets at the Castle Stage area of Fantasyland was removed?  :?:
Picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/djdamian/1 ... 810990914/
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

CafeFantasia

To accommodate taller parade floats?

Festival Disney

Quote from: "Alan"To accommodate taller parade floats?

Well it's a pretty tall archway, and as I recall the opening day parade had some tall floats :|
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

Poppy The Monkey

it was removed in late 1999 to allow the huge floats for the ImagiNATIONS parade to pass through.

Martyn

Shame really, as its quite nice. I've always thought it looks odd without anything joining the turrets.

dagobert

In my opinion it looks nicer without the arch. I think that they should add a gate to the two towers.

Sulley

Never seen this arch before, it looks way better without it though!

Festival Disney

Although I'm not that keen on the archway, I liked how every land of Disneyland Park had a sort of grand entrance sign... The fort, the Bazar, the Discoveryland err... thing and this Arch! All they have now is a little sign to tell you that you've entered Fantasyland. I like how fancyful the writing is :D
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

Riebi

I liked the archway. Was a nice entrance to fantasyland. But have you seen the wonderful floor on that image??? Hope after the refurb it will look again like this.
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

pussinboots

Building an archway over the parade route is just a bad idea, isn't it. Sooner or later they would have wanted to put on one of their inflatable parades or something similar and it would have had to go. I do agree something is missing in that area, but the arch we can live without.

Anthony

Quote from: "pussinboots"I do agree something is missing in that area
A Little Mermaid dark ride? :)

That photo does show how the gateway nicely frames exactly where Prince Eric's castle would have been.

Riebi

Isn´t it wonderful that they designed such sightlines with a future attraction at the end? Would love to see the original mermaid ride there.
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

dagobert

It would be great to see the Little Mermaid attraction at that place. Unfortunately the current plans, if I'm not mistaken, show the ride behind Fantasyland Station. I think at that place there would be no theming required for the building and so it would be cheaper.